Puerto Rican Winter League: Martin and Muckenhirm

Tony-OH

Maybe I missed it, but apparently two Orioles organization players played in the 18-game Puerto Rican Winter League in December/January.

Here's what I found. Feel free to add anyone I missed if players played in some other Winter League.

Criollos de Caguas

Richie Martin - Played 14 games at SS and slashed  .236/.323/.455/.777 
Zach Muckenhirm - Dominated in 9.1 relief IPs, striking out 15, walking just one, and allowing just seven hits while putting up a 0.96 ERA. 

Jesmuel Valentín (Bowie, 2019) also played, but i believe he's a free agent and no longer in the organization as of last November.

What does this all mean, nothing, but hey, it's a morsel of minor league action!

Side note, Muckenhirm has the stuff to be a big leaguers but has not been able to command his stuff. the talent level from what I saw was all over the place from 32-year old former big leaguers to DSL players so can't really take anything out of this, but I guess it's nice to see him walk just one.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

i still want to see Martin begin the season at AAA.

Muckenhirm is one of the many relievers that the O's will take a look at at AAA.  Here is the list.  Some will be at AAA and some will be assigned to AA.

(13) Mattson,  Phillips, Muckerhirn, Carroll, Diplan, Erwin, Hanhold, Jannis, Klimek, H Cervenka, Flaa, Custodio, Abad, Eshelman

Bold means on the 40 man roster

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Had two.   Catcher Martin Cervenka is currently a minor league free agent.

Reliever Hunter Cervenka is on the Norfolk Tides roster.

If Martin Cervenka made the Majors, he would become the fifth MLB player born in (what is now) the Czech Republic, the first since 1952 and the second since 1914.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

If Martin Cervenka made the Majors, he would become the fifth MLB player born in (what is now) the Czech Republic, the first since 1952 and the second since 1914.

We have clearly run out of things to discuss this offseason! lol 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Shows the amazing reach of our international scouting department.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Technically, there was no Czech Republic in 1952 or 1914.    

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Technically, there was no Czech Republic in 1952 or 1914.    

Yep, and I almost referred to the country as Czechia, which is what they prefer since 2016 over Czech Republic, but I assumed most people here were more familiar with the older name and I didn't want to confuse anyone!