Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

54 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lots of teams don’t like them.  Gives all the power to the players.

I personally love them but I’m in the minority.

I love them as well as long as the organization the player is opting out from has the discipline to walk away and not get involved in the bidding on a new contract for that player.  If they have that discipline a player opting out getting rid of the back end of the contract would in almost all cases be the best case scenario even if it hurts for a year or two. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, geschinger said:

I love them as well as long as the organization the player is opting out from has the discipline to walk away and not get involved in the bidding on a new contract for that player.  If they have that discipline a player opting out getting rid of the back end of the contract would in almost all cases be the best case scenario even if it hurts for a year or two. 

Couldn’t have said it better.  

25 minutes ago, geschinger said:

Yep.  My assumption is that you don’t do something dumb and give the player a poor contract once they opt out.

Here is what he said

Elias seemed to dismiss the idea on Monday, telling reporters it was unlikely the rebuilding Orioles would offer any free agent a multi-year contract. But Correa, according to a source with knowledge of the Orioles’ thinking, might be an exception, if his price dropped to a level the club deemed appropriate.

What that level might be — $50 million? $100 million? $200 million? — is not known. Correa, 27, certainly is young enough to serve as the centerpiece of a rebuilding program. But many in the industry suspect Correa will wind up back with the Astros, perhaps on a short deal rather than the long-term, $350 million contract he desires.

1 hour ago, dabirds said:

Here is what he said

Freddie Freeman had to settle for 6/162 - after it was reported (probably via his agent) that he was likely going to sign for 6/236.  Maybe this is an indication that free agent prices are down - and an opportunity to buy low on stars like Correa.  :pray:

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Freddie Freeman had to settle for 6/162 - after it was reported (probably via his agent) that he was likely going to sign for 6/236.  Maybe this is an indication that free agent prices are down - and an opportunity to buy low on stars like Correa.  :pray:

Who said he was signing for 6/236?

Im very confident that no one was offering him 40M a year.

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

@wildcardthere ya go big guy.

Yep.  First credible report that I have seen.   

Rosenthal not only says that the O's might make an exception for Correa's long term agreement.  He also says there has been no progress made so far in the Crane/Boras discussions.

This would be a blockbuster for the O's if it happens. Still seems like a long shot though.   

according to a source with knowledge of the Orioles’ thinking, might be an exception, if his price dropped to a level the club deemed appropriate.

Sure I'll take Correa at a discount but so would Houston, im guessing. Rosenthal doesn't even say the O's are interested, just that they could be because of Elias being VP.