Nobody Can Convince Me That the Orioles Infield is not Dramatically Better..

Eli Eon

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thre's nothing obvious or stupid in his use of the word.

re·place (rĭ-plās')

tr.v., -placed, -plac·ing, -plac·es.

To put back into a former position or place.

To take or fill the place of.

To be or provide a substitute for.

To pay back or return; refund.

One might might question your understanding of the definition.

What about the word "inference?" Check that one out.

Show a statistic, ANY statistic, that proves Tejada is a "below-average" shortstop.

Until you do, any post you make on the subject will be responded to by that challenge.

Prove everybody wrong, instead of whining about people arguing with you. We've made our point with facts. You've just acted like your opinion is the only fact you need.

...which is UNHEARDOF around here!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Show a statistic, ANY statistic, that proves Tejada is a "below-average" shortstop.

Until you do, any post you make on the subject will be responded to by that challenge.

Prove everybody wrong, instead of whining about people arguing with you. We've made our point with facts. You've just acted like your opinion is the only fact you need.

Its not rocket science just watch the shortstop play now it is much better than before no matter who is out there, as long as its not Tejada. Defensive stats are not always telling anyway. For example they don't give an error on a bobbled double play ball, which Tejada seems to be the master at doing. You can easily see I am right by mere observation. Try it, you might like it!;)

What about the word "inference?" Check that one out.

Thank you. I don't see how anybody could have read his comments about scouts not being stupid because Miggy was replaced by three players of greater defensive merit and not come away with the sense that he was inferring that Miggy was replaced because of his defense.

I saw the Loch Ness Monster once.

He was kickin' it with Krang & Kodos.

I think that Bigfoot is blurry, it's not the photographer's fault, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Run away, he's fuzzy.

I agree with Eli Eon that the defense at SS has been better while Tejada has been out. However, that is not an indicitment or criticism of Tejada's defense. It so happens that his replacements have played spectacular defensive baseball.

At the time of his injury, Tejada ranked 2nd among AL shortstops in fielding percentage, at .979. However, his replacements have made only one error, fielding at a .993 clip.

Tejada ranked 3rd in zone rating, at .858. However, his replacements have done even better: Fahey .923 (8 starts), Gomez .833 (9 starts), Hernandez 1.000 (7 starts), Bynum .958 (6 starts). Collectively, that is a ZR of about .921.

So, the replacements' fielding percentage of .993 would easily be best among all AL shortstops (highest is Orlando Cabrera at .985), and their zone rating of .921 also would easily be best (highest is Bobby Crosby at .870).

The AL shortstop with the most DP's is Derek Jeter, with 74 in 99 games. Tejada's replacements have turned 26 double plays in 30 games, which is a much better rate than Jeter's.

Conclusion: this isn't about whether Tejada is a good fielder or not. It is about the fact that his replacements have played amazing defense over the last month.

Frobby, I'd personally never claim that Tejada is better defensively than either of his three stand ins. However, he's intentionally short shrifting Tejada's defense in to the "poor" category, which is hyperbolic, in order to bolster his overall argument.

I agree with Eli Eon that the defense at SS has been better while Tejada has been out. However, that is not an indicitment or criticism of Tejada's defense. It so happens that his replacements have played spectacular defensive baseball.

At the time of his injury, Tejada ranked 2nd among AL shortstops in fielding percentage, at .979. However, his replacements have made only one error, fielding at a .993 clip.

Tejada ranked 3rd in zone rating, at .858. However, his replacements have done even better: Fahey .923 (8 starts), Gomez .833 (9 starts), Hernandez 1.000 (7 starts), Bynum .958 (6 starts). Collectively, that is a ZR of about .921.

So, the replacements' fielding percentage of .993 would easily be best among all AL shortstops (highest is Orlando Cabrera at .985), and their zone rating of .921 also would easily be best (highest is Bobby Crosby at .870).

The AL shortstop with the most DP's is Derek Jeter, with 74 in 99 games. Tejada's replacements have turned 26 double plays in 30 games, which is a much better rate than Jeter's.

Conclusion: this isn't about whether Tejada is a good fielder or not. It is about the fact that his replacements have played amazing defense over the last month.

Aren't defensive ratings subjective?

zone rating

a measure of fielding ability based on the number of outs made in relation to the number of balls hit into a player's zone, limiting the zone to an area considered playable by the fielder; calculated as outs/(balls hit into zone).

How is "considered playable" calculated?

I played SS...and watch baseball. Miggy is excellent if he gets to balls. He doesn't get to balls like good SS's do.

No I'm not crazy...therefore, I know baseball much better than you.

Have you ever played SS?

This has been beaten to death. Miggy's range up the middle is not as good as many other SS, but his range into the hole, and ability to make the throw from the hole and get outs, is far superior to the average SS. His overall range is actually above average because of his ability to get outs on more balls in the hole than an average SS gets to.

Miggy isn't a gold glover, but he is FAR from a defensive liability out there and is actual at the very least an average defensive shortstop.

Aren't defensive ratings subjective?

zone rating

a measure of fielding ability based on the number of outs made in relation to the number of balls hit into a player's zone, limiting the zone to an area considered playable by the fielder; calculated as outs/(balls hit into zone).

How is "considered playable" calculated?

My understanding is that the field is divided into a grid and that the "zones" are the same for every player. The delineation of the zones is not subjective, but there may be some slight subjectivity to judging which zone the ball was in.

Thank you. I don't see how anybody could have read his comments about scouts not being stupid because Miggy was replaced by three players of greater defensive merit and not come away with the sense that he was inferring that Miggy was replaced because of his defense.

Well that is a ludicrous assumption on your part. :eek: You know the old saying abouit the word "assume" don't you? If the shoe fits wear it Pal. You are apparently wishing to assume I am so stupid or ill informed that I don't know that Tejada broke his hand and has been on the DL. To make that sort of ridiculous "assumption" based on your take on my use of the word "replace" speaks volumes for you as far as I am concerned, and I cannot post my true feelings about youror I would be summarily banned. Ergo you will receive a place of honor as ths first person here on my ignore list. Sayanara, audios, so long.:rolleyes:

Archived