Dillon Tate 2022

luismatos4prez

I don't know if I would go that far.

The broadcast guys did comment on it, and even said they were surprised there wasn't a mound visit.

It's worth following, though there was also talk that Tate had looked to sacrifice velocity to gain movement in winter work.

Let's hope it's that.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Does anyone know how hard Tate was throwing during spring training? I'm curious if his velocity has been down all spring or is this something that just popped up. 

I'm sure the cadre of reporters down there would have informed us of any irregularities. 

20 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Does anyone know how hard Tate was throwing during spring training? I'm curious if his velocity has been down all spring or is this something that just popped up. 

Remember he went a solid week at the end of spring training without pitching in a game.   He had a "sore throat" and stayed home from camp for 4 or 5 days in a row so he might not even have been up to working out in any way.

Now they are saying a mechanical issue.   I guess we just pay attention to his velo the next few times out and see where it goes...

22 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

During the Os/Yankees game in Tampa on 3/23 he was consistently at 94mph

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I’m not sure the catcher dropped the ball on purpose to draw the call.  It’s possible.  Either way, McCann is in the box and not leaning out over the plate.  Just a terrible call.  I’d guess the league will have a quiet word with that ump.  He blew it and I think the crew chief knew he blew it but didn’t want to overrule him.
    • I've heard some commentators say that catchers may need to have a box they can't go past similar to the batter's box.  That was more in line with them trying to frame pitches by standing close to the plate and getting hit with a bat but I think it pertains to this.  He was so far up on McCann that HE initiated contact. Ridiculous.  
    • He could end up being a long man, I don’t see him being anything more than that however. 
    • I was watching the Yankees game yesterday and there was a similar play with the Twins 1B running into Soto who had gone back to occupy the bag. In this case there was even physical contact. The ump laughed and patted Soto on the back as they had a word about it. I guess it is just completely judgment dependent. MLB needs to clarify the rule ASAP because the Soto play was the same as Vaughn, maybe even worse. 
    • I know you’re joking but the fact that we, theoretically, could do it is kind of amazing.
    • One thing I haven’t really seen mentioned is that I think Elias and company may view the draft and the international signing process as two complementary pieces of one larger talent acquisition process. I think it’s a fair statement that international prospects generally skew overwhelmingly toward very young, very raw, very projection-heavy. It would be a pretty rare occasion for us to sign a polished, experienced international prospect that will immediately land in Aberdeen or higher. If the goal is to balance/diversify your talent acquisition process — and I’m not necessarily saying that it is or even that it should be — your traditional draft process would probably tend to skew more heavily toward the college guys. To infuse the experience, polish, physical/mental development, and greater “certainty” into your system that you typically can’t get in the 16-year-old international signing melee. That’s what the Astros did, especially as they started to move into their contention window. Their drafts became very college heavy (28 out of their 32 picks in the first 10 rounds from 2016-2018 were college players) and they leaned more on international free agency, signing guys like Cristian Javier, Framber Valdez, Jose Urquidy, Luis Garcia, Bryan Abreu, Cionel Perez, Wilyer Abreu, etc. Not to mention instantly trading for Yordan Alvarez after missing out on him, before he ever took an AB for the Dodgers.  In short, I suspect they view the draft not in a vacuum but as part of combined process with international free agency. I think they see the international market as a place where you can pretty much only buy lottery tickets, which means the draft becomes the side of the process where they invest more in certainty, easier projections, and higher floors. Whether this is the right approach, I’m not sure. But I do think that’s roughly the lens they view it through.
    • Eh, if he stays in AAA, I don't really care either way.  Someone has to soak up innings, though in general I'd rather it be a young guy who can use the time to improve versus a washed up has-been.  I DO worry about us calling him up because he is a 'vet' and we have a tendency to give vets more rope than they sometimes deserve, even at the MLB level.  But for AAA depth it's hard to really care either way.  Certainly wouldn't call it a 'smart signing' but as long as he's just AAA fodder, it's a 'meh' type signing.  If he gets called up and then hammered, as is likely based on his recent numbers, THEN it's a dumb move.  But tossing pitches in AAA doesn't bother me, as long as he isn't taking time away from guys who need the work and could be a help to the MLB team.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now