Ramon Urias 2022

Pushmonkey

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

No he can’t. He was sub .700 OPS at Norfolk last year. He’s never slugged above .400 outside of A ball. Just because his daddy could hit, doesn’t mean he can. 

Yea the Nevin talk has to stop.  I mean, I don’t care if he comes up and gets a few at bats but only if a lot of guys are hurt and can’t play.

Otherwise, he isn’t a MLer.

Question on Urias, I noticed a few people say he doesn't have the arm for 3rd, but if he can play SS, that generally requires more arm strength (ball in the hole)? 

And yeah, I don't get the love some people around here have for Nevin, he's had a couple hot weeks at Triple A. The question I would have is can Vavra play 3b, but he's never played over there  

Edited by seak05

20 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Question on Urias, I noticed a few people say he doesn't have the arm for 3rd, but if he can play SS, that generally requires more arm strength (ball in the hole)? 

And yeah, I don't get the love some people around here have for Nevin, he's had a couple hot weeks at Triple A. The question I would have is can Vavra play 3b, but he's never played over there  

I'll take a hot bat over a cold one any day.

33 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I don't think Urias has the arm for SS either. 

If Vavra could play SS/3B, they would be playing him there. His starts have all been 2B and OF, which tells you what they think of his arm.

We just have to suffer through this year without a real 3B. Westburg will be here next year.

13 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I don't think Urias has the arm for SS either. 

If Vavra could play SS/3B, they would be playing him there. His starts have all been 2B and OF, which tells you what they think of his arm.

We just have to suffer through this year without a real 3B. Westburg will be here next year.

If Westburg keeps hitting he could be in AAA in May.   If he hits there for a couple of months he could be in the majors.   He is ready defensely.  It just the progression with the bat that he needs to prove.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Westburg keeps hitting he could be in AAA in May.   If he hits there for a couple of months he could be in the majors.   He is ready defensely.  It just the progression with the bat that he needs to prove.

That would be great. Unless he's absolutely destroying AAA after a few months, I don't see him getting promoted this year though. It's not how Mike operates, especially for a guy who doesn't need to be added to the 40-man this winter.

3 hours ago, waroriole said:

No he can’t. He was sub .700 OPS at Norfolk last year. He’s never slugged above .400 outside of A ball. Just because his daddy could hit, doesn’t mean he can. 

That is a pretty disingenuous way of saying he slugged .399 at AA at 22, and .393 last year in AAA . It also isn't strictly true as he slugged .593 in the Arizona Fall League after the 2018 season.

Nobody is denying that he had a disappointing year at Norfolk last year, but especially considering the lack of a 2020 season, I don't think that is a death knell on his prospect status and you can definitively say that he can't hit.

I don't think Nevin is an MLB player either, but if any team can afford to give 400 plate appearances to find out, it is the Orioles.

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

That is a pretty disingenuous way of saying he slugged .399 at AA at 22, and .393 last year in AAA . It also isn't strictly true as he slugged .593 in the Arizona Fall League after the 2018 season.

Nobody is denying that he had a disappointing year at Norfolk last year, but especially considering the lack of a 2020 season, I don't think that is a death knell on his prospect status and you can definitively say that he can't hit.

I don't think Nevin is an MLB player either, but if any team can afford to give 400 plate appearances to find out, it is the Orioles.

I’m sorry, you’re saying that my wording is disingenuous, when you’re citing AFL stats? AFL stats which are obviously SSS and generally against poor pitching. How much room do I need to avoid impugning my reputation?

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Elias will change a little when Adley and Grayson are in the majors.  At that point he is putting together his future team in the majors.  Right now it looks like Westburg is part of that.  So if he is hitting well in July at AAA Westburg may get the call over someone that is not part of the future IMO.

Urias has an xwOBA of .359

Mountcastle's xwOBA is .356

Mullins' xwOBA is .343

Hays' xwOBA is .336

Mateo's xwOBA is .319

Gutierrez's xwOBA is .246 

Odor's xwOBA is .220

Fangraphs seems to show that Ramon Urias has been unlucky, but is still one of the top hitters on this team. Not saying that's a high bar, but let's be patient. Last season he led the team in OBP. 

I think he could be a solid, affordable, longterm solution for 2B.

• Upvote 3

In his first 70 innings of 3B fielding, Statcast's Rate Measure seems him about 20th percentile (30th of 36) at 3B so far this year.

At 2B, Odor is in the Bottom Half, a big drop from last year when he was one of the very best, and Urias near the bottom.

It looks like Urias in his 30-ish 2B innings doesn't yet have enough plays to qualify even for the lowest filter.

Like Odor, Mateo similarly a little bit into the Bottom Half at SS defense in the early going.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

His hitting is killing the team. 

I don’t think I’d single out one player, but he’s been disappointing in the early going.   He looks a bit overanxious to me.  

Urias is out of options, so I expect the O’s will be patient in awaiting a return to form.