Ramon Urias 2022

Pushmonkey

12 minutes ago, oriole said:

Just curious, did anyone really think Urias was a solution? It always seemed like he was a stop gap and has proven himself a very useful one thus far. If he reversed course, why should any of us be surprised?

I think he’s a stopgap, but he should be capable of hitting much better than this. His MiL and Mexican League track record, along with his 2020-21 performance in the majors, indicated a decent hitter for an infielder.   

I do not except Urias to have a lower OPS for the year then McKenna. Of the players we expected to hit, he's probably having the worst start. It shouldn't really come as a surprise though that the three OF + Mountcastle lead the team in OPS. Chirnios is also up there. None of them though are hitting well, except Santander, it's just relatively better.  

Urias is a better hitter than what he is showing right now.  But its only 51 at bats.  Maybe the league adjusted to him and now he has to adjust back.  Or maybe the change of playing 3B is affecting him at bat.    Whatever it is I think he will do better soon.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Just curious, did anyone really think Urias was a solution? It always seemed like he was a stop gap and has proven himself a very useful one thus far. If he reversed course, why should any of us be surprised?

I thought he did enough over 300 AB's last year to merit a shot at the starting 2B job this year. I did not see him as a long term solution but at least an everyday player to start the year and maybe turn into a trade chip. I am surprised he has done this bad even over such a small sample because his approach seemed so consistent last year. Looking at his splits, he did struggle in April last year before putting together a solid overall season. 

Without much power, he is the type of player who doesn't have much margin for error. 

The whole team has struggled and sometimes you also have to credit the other guys' pitching.

Urias is also hitting into bad luck right now he has an xBA of .279 and xSLG of .446. That is one of the issues with small sample size, luck tends to even out over the course of a season. 

Nobody is hitting into worse luck then Mancini 

Edited by seak05

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Update on Ramon per Roch: 

Brandon Hyde said Ramon Urias had some abdominal discomfort during BP. Will check on him tomorrow #orioles

Hopefully, it's just some bad gas station sushi. It'll be nice to have Ramon heat up a bit at the plate. 

On 4/19/2022 at 11:10 AM, TommyPickles said:

Urias has an xwOBA of .359

Mountcastle's xwOBA is .356

Mullins' xwOBA is .343

Hays' xwOBA is .336

Mateo's xwOBA is .319

Gutierrez's xwOBA is .246 

Odor's xwOBA is .220

Fangraphs seems to show that Ramon Urias has been unlucky, but is still one of the top hitters on this team. Not saying that's a high bar, but let's be patient. Last season he led the team in OBP. 

I think he could be a solid, affordable, longterm solution for 2B.

I hope these numbers suggest that a healthy Urias has just been unlucky and that we should stick him at 2B where he might be more comfortable than 3B. Let Odor, Nevin, Bannon, etc…, battle it out at 3B. 

On 4/24/2022 at 6:51 AM, waroriole said:

As the season progresses, I do hope that some of you will randomly select a stretch of 50 ABs at a time and make broad pronouncements on it. 

I think we’re down to single AB’s on the minors board.