Kawakami Narrows His List

furryburres

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think places to eat, women to chat up and places to buy your newspaper of choice, etc. --while obviously less important than translators, et al-- are absolutely very real factors for most (as opposed to Migrant Redbird's choice of 'some') Japanese players looking for a home in MLB.

I used "some" because I don't understand the psyches of young Japanese athletes well enough to say "most".

It would greatly depend upon the individual in question. "Women to chat up" would not (or should not) be an issue for a player who is married. I don't know Kawakami's marital status, but he is 34 years old and may not be as driven to chase the opposite sex as younger American players.

However, if he is married, the attitude of his wife could be an issue. Will she be comfortable in a strange land for 3-4 years? The size of the local Japanese community might be more important to her than to him -- even taking into account the greater deference of Asian women to their husbands. So Taguchi and his wife seemed to flourish while shuttling around in the Cardinals minor league system -- or at least no complaints surfaced -- but it could be a completely different issue with another couple.

Newspapers? You mean that ballplayers read newspapers? Besides, don't most young people get their news off the internet now anyhow? I believe that DirecTV has at least one Japanese channel available, and the internet is available via laptop and wireless anywhere the team travels.

Food? I'm sure there are a lot more Japanese restaurants in the Baltimore and DC area than there were in the Southern League and PCL cities where So Taguchi was playing 4-6 years ago. It really only takes one good restaurant which provides "comfort food" to satisfy that requirement for most of us. If Kawakami is married, his wife may prepare enough of his meals to keep him happy.

I really believe that, but then again, I put up with horrendous rent per square foot here in NY because I'm hooked on good pizza.

It's very much dependent upon the individual personality. I might have had a greater problem with the food when I was in Korea had it not been for the facilities on post which served American cuisine, plus I had kitchen facilities and could purchase American food products at the Army commissary. However, a couple of my young lieutenants immersed themselves into Korean cuisine and loved it. One lieutenant brought his wife over (without command permission or approval) and she adapted very well to living in a small Korean village apartment. It depends greatly upon the individual.

I can appreciate the attraction of a good pizza parlor. I don't care much for the product at my local pizza places, nor do I like the product of the national chains like Pizza Hut and Dominos. The nearest Ledos is in Westminster, slightly too far away to make a special trip solely for Pizza. So, we mostly make do with inferior pizza.

However, I still think that financial factors will probably drive Kawakami's decision, with team competitiveness and perceived compatibility of the local community coming into play only if he's trying to decide among relatively equal contract offers.

Ledo's pizza qualifies for you as "good pizza you would make a special trip for"?
Hell yeah, Ledo's is great, but you've gotta go to a good one. Not all Ledo's are up to snuff. But if you don't enjoy one of the good Ledo's, then you have some serious flaws in your pizza preferences.

Hell yeah, Ledo's is great, but you've gotta go to a good one. Not all Ledo's are up to snuff. But if you don't enjoy one of the good Ledo's, then you have some serious flaws in your pizza preferences.

Not a huge fan of their sauce. It's too sweet.

The solution to lack of good pizza in your area is to make your own. Crank that oven up to 500 and throw together your own double-bacon tomato pie!

... Ledo's is great, but you've gotta go to a good one. Not all Ledo's are up to snuff. But if you don't enjoy one of the good Ledo's, then you have some serious flaws in your pizza preferences.

The ones which I've patronized were at Fulton and Westminster, MD and at York, PA. Unfortunately, the one in York went out of business. Nothing I've found in Hanover, PA is anywhere close in quality/taste.

The ones which I've patronized were at Fulton and Westminster, MD and at York, PA. Unfortunately, the one in York went out of business. Nothing I've found in Hanover, PA is anywhere close in quality/taste.
I haven't been to any of those ones.

The worst one I've been to is a pretty new one in Clarksville. The best one is the original in College Park. I've been pleased more often than disappointed with various Ledo's, but they are all slightly different tasting. I don't know if the various stores do that intentionally or not.

There's a Brother's Pizza over off of 116 towards York that's pretty good!!!

I haven't been to any of those ones.

The best one is the original in College Park. I've been pleased more often than disappointed with various Ledo's, but they are all slightly different tasting. QUOTE]

Technically, as a UMD grad who ate massive quantities there, I think that is in Adelphi. I just had carrout from the Ledos in Leesburg and I wouldn't recommend that one either.

I ate at the Ledo's in Hunt Valley when I was a kid. I only remember their pizza being square.

Maria's Pizza in Timonium is the best pizza in the state, I'll have you know.

Honestly, I think Costco's cheese pizza trounces Ledo's or any other chain pizza.

Archived