MLB.com suggests Burnes to Os trade

Sports Guy

28 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

He hasn’t pitched, but his only arm injury was TJ surgery. His only other pitching-related injury was the stress reaction in his ribcage at the start of 2022 - then the broken pinky and broken (non-pitching) wrist.  And he was actually quite durable for years before all that. 

It wouldn’t be without risk and I wouldn’t necessarily want to give up much to get him. What if the price was Jorge Mateo and we hold onto all our key prospects? The Red Sox need a proper SS as they shouldn’t be playing Story there. It could be a nice sell high on Mateo and buy low on Sale.

The key with Mateo is whether they think it’s worthwhile giving Gunnar a shot at SS. I think they should see how that goes considering we have Ortiz on the horizon who can definitely handle the position defensively. 

That’s interesting. I’d probably want them to eat some money on the trade but at least we’re not giving up a lot. I worry about Sale’s maturity, but at least it’s not a long term deal. 

21 minutes ago, waroriole said:

That’s interesting. I’d probably want them to eat some money on the trade but at least we’re not giving up a lot. I worry about Sale’s maturity, but at least it’s not a long term deal. 

I like the talent that Sale possesses and would be interested in a risk for a talent like that.  I don’t think he passes the high character test after reading some stories about him over the years.  I think this regime is huge on character guys.  with that said, I’d be surprised if kick the tires. 

Edited by emmett16

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Different pitch selection strategy affected the hard contact hit against him. He went to the minors and made adjustments. He changed from a FB/Curve guy to a Sweep slider/High FB guy. 

No doubt he made adjustments and had more success in the second half (I used bbref 1st & 2nd half feature).  He’s not a guy I’d like to rely on going into a year we are supposed to compete.  If I can turn him into a #1 I do it.  His potential and stuff is what could make that attractive to another team.  You have to give up talent to get talent and Brewers would want a rotation piece ready to go. By no means and I shopping him and if he’s on the team next year I hope he can repeat and build on his second half.  

53 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Thought you were talking about DL Hall. Nope his whip is 1.68 and 4 BB per 9. This is a guy that struggled to pitch 5 in the minors with a 1.45 WHIP and a 5.8 BB per 9. But, many here were giddy about his promotion and dogging other about skepticism that he could be a difference maker in the majors after struggling mightily at AAA. Many wanted him handed a rotation spot LOL.

**************BTW, I’m curious if you looked at his 2nd half stats or by the month. As I recall he was pretty dam solid along side of Kremer the last 3rd of the season at very least.

I was in the slow your roll on DL Hall camp and thought he needed time to work things out in AAA.  Just goes to show why I’m a contractor and not a baseball evaluator :) He came up and looked like he belonged after his first disaster of a start.  

Bradish first and second half stats:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=bradiky01&year=2022&t=p

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I think he needed to say that Westburg is the O's third ranked infield prospect a few more times.

Like the trade, hate the trade but look at the player not who might be better in the system.  If the O's had picked Green instead would this be a better trade since Westburg would be the second highest rated infielder in the system?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If they hate it and we hate it then it must be a pretty fair deal.  I think it’s pretty spot on.  I’d do it but it would be painful to pull the trigger.  A young controllable MLB SP, two highly ranked prospects, and a pretty high floor lottery ticket.  All 4 of those players could conceivably play for the Brewers this year and we are giving away 23 years of service for 2. 

Edited by emmett16

I think this trade would be more realistic at the deadline.  Westburg and Cowser are likely to have a decent amount of MLB experience at that point.  IF they are both looking like MLB regulars with some upside, the trade looks a lot better as the Brewers would be filling 2 position spots w/ cost controlled talent.  Some of this year's draft class could be in AA by then and would make interesting pieces for the Brewers.

I can't see the Brewers making this trade right now w/o getting one of the O's top 3 prospects as the Brewers fan stressed.  As an O's fan, giving up 6 years of a potential All Star SS is too much.  Of course there is always the chance Holliday maxes out at AAA.

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think this trade would be more realistic at the deadline.  Westburg and Cowser are likely to have a decent amount of MLB experience at that point.  IF they are both looking like MLB regulars with some upside, the trade looks a lot better as the Brewers would be filling 2 position spots w/ cost controlled talent.  Some of this year's draft class could be in AA by then and would make interesting pieces for the Brewers.

I can't see the Brewers making this trade right now w/o getting one of the O's top 3 prospects as the Brewers fan stressed.  As an O's fan, giving up 6 years of a potential All Star SS is too much.  Of course there is always the chance Holliday maxes out at AAA.

But at the deadline the O's are only getting less than a season and a half of him so why should they not decrease their offer?

In order for that deal to make any sense for the O's they'd have to be strong WC contenders.