Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

18 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Picking nits, but one thing he needs to work on is his base stealing. He’s got 20 steals this year, which is great, however he’s been caught 8 times. This includes his lone attempt in Bowie. He was also caught 7 times in ABD. 

MLB.com has his at 60 speed and Fangraphs at 50 current and future. So while he’s not a burner by any means, he’s still got above average speed. 

I don’t think anyone predicts he’ll be a huge base stealer in the bigs, but he’ll either need to improve his timing/technique or trim back the number of attempts he makes. 

At 19, Elly de la Cruz stole 10 bags and was caught 5 times. For reference. 
That was in low A and Rookie ball where Holliday has long since destroyed. 

Give the kid a chance to refine his tools. He is very young and growing into his man body. His dad was a hoss. He will get bigger and stronger. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Picking nits, but one thing he needs to work on is his base stealing. He’s got 20 steals this year, which is great, however he’s been caught 8 times. This includes his lone attempt in Bowie. He was also caught 7 times in ABD. 

MLB.com has his at 60 speed and Fangraphs at 50 current and future. So while he’s not a burner by any means, he’s still got above average speed. 

I don’t think anyone predicts he’ll be a huge base stealer in the bigs, but he’ll either need to improve his timing/technique or trim back the number of attempts he makes. 

I get the sense that the minor league coaches, particularly at Aberdeen, are sending them quite frequently. Fabian, Holliday, Wagner and Beavers all have over 20 attempts this year for the Ironbirds. It would surprise me if they were running that much on their own accord.

So maybe he's being run in sub-optimal situations that won't happen in the majors. Perfect Game clocked him at a 6.69 60-yard dash, which is fine but probably not fast enough to justify stealing except during favorable circumstances.

26 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

He is going to be in the bigs next year. 

I hope so. The only reason to keep him down is if the Orioles are insistent that he play SS and he needs the continuous reps. He probably can hit Major League pitching right now. He’s that advanced offensively. 

14 hours ago, TheWall said:

He seems to really love starting hot at new levels. Hope that carries over when he eventually makes the show. 

The hot starts certainly help with perception.  While of course, he'd still be a top 10 prospect in all of baseball, I wonder if he would be an almost consensus #1 overall his production in Aberdeen in May (1.137 OPS) and June (.702) were reversed. 

1 hour ago, geschinger said:

The hot starts certainly help with perception.  While of course, he'd still be a top 10 prospect in all of baseball, I wonder if he would be an almost consensus #1 overall his production in Aberdeen in May (1.137 OPS) and June (.702) were reversed. 

I think you have to view what he did at Aberdeen in relative comparison to what all of our other recent top prospects have done there. With that context, he was well ahead of almost all (maybe save one other).

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I think you have to view what he did at Aberdeen in relative comparison to what all of our other recent top prospects have done there. With that context, he was well ahead of almost all (maybe save one other).

It feels like Aberdeen isn't the hitter's graveyard this year that it was last year. Maybe they fixed the lighting, or whatever the issue was there.

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It feels like Aberdeen isn't the hitter's graveyard this year that it was last year. Maybe they fixed the lighting, or whatever the issue was there.

Wagner and Beavers are generally putting up Norby/Cowser type numbers from last year and Bencosme has really struggled so I’d say Holliday’s performance was the outlier.   Fabian did very well too but let’s not forget he’s a year older than the other college guys were.

I’m pretty sure that Aberdeen is considered a bit tougher place to put up numbers compared to Bowie.

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Wagner and Beavers are generally putting up Norby/Cowser type numbers from last year and Bencosme has really struggled so I’d say Holliday’s performance was the outlier.   Fabian did very well too but let’s not forget he’s a year older than the other college guys were.

Yeah, that's very possible. I haven't looked at the numbers. It's just a gut feeling.

While I think Holliday will stay at Bowie until the end of their season, it’s worth noting that the Tides will still have ten games to play after Bowie’s season is wrapped up.  I wouldn’t be too surprised if Holliday is sent to Norfolk then.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

While I think Holliday will stay at Bowie until the end of their season, it’s worth noting that the Tides will still have ten games to play after Bowie’s season is wrapped up.  I wouldn’t be too surprised if Holliday is sent to Norfolk then.

Unless he is worn down, I don’t see why you wouldn’t do that.

IIRC Elias has stated he likes to push guys up a level near the end of the year so that they can get “punched in the mouth” and figure out what they need to work on in the offseason. If Holliday continues tearing through AA the way everybody expects him to, he’ll definitely see AAA before the end of the year.