Padres Finalizing Extension of Machado

justD

45 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Good for him. I just wish there would’ve been a bird on his hat when he goes to Cooperstown in 16 years. 

It is hard to envision anyone going in with a bird on their hat in the future. HOF talent costs a lot of money and I don't get the feeling that anyone of that caliber will align with our third world budget philosophy.  Even 2-year contracts are too long for us.  

16 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

It is hard to envision anyone going in with a bird on their hat in the future. HOF talent costs a lot of money and I don't get the feeling that anyone of that caliber will align with our third world budget philosophy.  Even 2-year contracts are too long for us.  

In the baseball Rob Manfred wants.  And screw what that means for the health of the game.

I envy these big market teams that we will never be able to compete against, especially for our homegrown and developed players we will definitely never let leave.  Draft, develop, watch them ride off into the sunset to their forever home. That's the Oriole Way. How could we ever expect to compete with the Red Sox, Yankees........or San Diego Padres?? It just isn't fair. 

41 minutes ago, geschinger said:

I wouldn’t have minded. The more massive contracts for players mid/late 30s years that that a team like the Yankees commit to, the better for the Orioles.

The problem is that a team like the Yankees have the luxury of releasing a player and replacing him with yet another albatross contracted player and not bat an eye. This game is rigged but it’s a reflection of the type of system we are all used to living in so the unfairness doesn’t seem as over the top as it is. Most people/fans have their favorite billionaire/large market team and make excuses for why these billionaires/large market teams deserve to have so much more than everyone else. It just feels like the natural order of things. Haves and the have nots. 

Then there’s the Padres who is like a used car salesman buying a mansion and inviting all their friends over and everyone is looking around at the chandeliers and expensive art. They all know there’s no way a used car salesman can afford all this but nonetheless it is all very nice. Meanwhile the Padres are having the time of their lives knowing that in a few years they’re completed screwed. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m glad this means he won’t be a Yankee anytime soon.

Me too! 

Considering our current team construction and our strong core of infielders and infield prospects, I thought that there was likely less than a 1% chance of us trying to resign him if he opted out to free agency... so I will be ecstatic when he finalizes this extension, since it dramatically reduces the change of us running into him 15 times a season while he plays for a hated division rival.  This is great news.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, oriole said:

The problem is that a team like the Yankees have the luxury of releasing a player and replacing him with yet another albatross contracted player and not bat an eye.  

They don’t though.  They run those mid-30s players out there every day instead of upgrading at those positions (either internally or externally) and are worse for it.   Look at the production they got in the second half of Teixeira‘s contract and that one ended at age 36.  It would have been great for the Orioles if Boras had been able to have gotten him a 10+ year contract to take him into his late 30s instead of the 8 year deal he got.

28 minutes ago, oriole said:

The problem is that a team like the Yankees have the luxury of releasing a player and replacing him with yet another albatross contracted player and not bat an eye. This game is rigged but it’s a reflection of the type of system we are all used to living in so the unfairness doesn’t seem as over the top as it is. Most people/fans have their favorite billionaire/large market team and make excuses for why these billionaires/large market teams deserve to have so much more than everyone else. It just feels like the natural order of things. Haves and the have nots. 

Then there’s the Padres who is like a used car salesman buying a mansion and inviting all their friends over and everyone is looking around at the chandeliers and expensive art. They all know there’s no way a used car salesman can afford all this but nonetheless it is all very nice. Meanwhile the Padres are having the time of their lives knowing that in a few years they’re completed screwed. 

So .. in a completely different system than today … the New York Yankees from 1949-1964 won the AL pennant 14 of 16 years.  
And, of course, there were no divisions or playoffs so it was much much much more the case that every other city had ZERO chance than it is today.