2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Frazier and Urias again. Who does Westburg need to get pictures of to get in the lineup vs. righties? Right now, he should get a start over Mountcastle too. 

I think at this point he's probably nursing something. Also, I just read a quote where Elias said that he hopes he will be back in the lineup this week.

58 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I think at this point he's probably nursing something. Also, I just read a quote where Elias said that he hopes he will be back in the lineup this week.

Yes, team officials commented that Westburg is a little bit dinged up and he's getting the off days until he feels better.

As for the game tonight, I just have one major request to Brandon Hyde and his coaches... DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, allow Joey Krehbiel to pitch to Wilson Contreras! Contreras has a history of blasting Krehbiel's pitches.

38 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Strong lineup tonight (IMO), but really they should be able play whomever and score runs on Wainright.

I don't like Frazier starting as I'd rather have Urias either playing 2nd, or move Westburg to 2nd and let Urias handle 3rd.  With it being Means first start I'd want to have the best defense behind him I can reasonably get, and Frazier is just a butcher with the glove right now.  Granted Urias looked bad the past couple of days, but I still trust him more than Frazier. 

Edited by forphase1

We are 34-16 vs lefties.   That's the most wins of any team in MLB vs LH pitchers, the 3rd highest winning % in MLB against LH pitchers, and actually higher than our winning % vs RH pitchers.

OK, with that out of the way, we now return to our regularly scheduled program, which is the whining about various LH batters that are sitting and some guys who primarily play vs lefties getitng to play, even though similar lineups have produced the fantastic record I mention above.

Have at it...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We are 34-16 vs lefties.   That's the most wins of any team in MLB vs LH pitchers, the 3rd highest winning % in MLB against LH pitchers, and actually higher than our winning % vs RH pitchers.

OK, with that out of the way, we now return to our regularly scheduled program, which is the whining about various LH batters that are sitting and some guys who primarily play vs lefties getitng to play, even though similar lineups have produced the fantastic record I mention above.

Have at it...

So, you are advocating sitting Mullins vs lefties in the playoffs?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, you are advocating sitting Mullins vs lefties in the playoffs?

No, but it's not the playoffs.   And every time we face a lefty and O'Hearn is on the bench, someone whines about it.   If Mullins is on the bench, someone whines about it.   If McKenna or Mateo gets a start vs a lefty, someone whines about it.   Before he started hitting well and Adley slumped a bit, there would be whines about McCann playing too.

And we win nearly 70% of the time.

And yet the next time we face a lefty... it's practically identical.

It's quite amusing.

And I do think that O'Hearn will sit vs most lefties, even in the playoffs.   And Mateo may get a start vs a lefty in a playoff game.   Don't know about sitting Mullins.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Have at it...

I'm glad we have reached the pinnacle of perfection and have no reason to try to improve or get better in any facet.  We have arrived!!!

Seriously,  just because we are doing great doesn't mean we can't still do better, and discuss changes that could improve the team.   I get appreciating where we are,  but I also think it's healthy to continue looking for ways to win at even a higher pace if possible. I know that rubs some the wrong way.  But I'm sure even the Braves would like to win more games,  and they have the best record in baseball.   

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

I'm glad we have reached the pinnacle of perfection and have no reason to try to improve or get better in any facet.  We have arrived!!!

Seriously,  just because we are doing great doesn't mean we can't still do better, and discuss changes that could improve the team.   I get appreciating where we are,  but I also think it's healthy to continue looking for ways to win at even a higher pace if possible. I know that rubs some the wrong way.  But I'm sure even the Braves would like to win more games,  and they have the best record in baseball.   

Yeah, you make multiple statements like "XXX should NEVER start".   That's a great way  manage a 26 man roster and keep people fresh.   That would really make the team better.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

No, but it's not the playoffs.   And every time we face a lefty and O'Hearn is on the bench, someone whines about it.   If Mullins is on the bench, someone whines about it.   If McKenna or Mateo gets a start vs a lefty, someone whines about it.   Before he started hitting well and Adley slumped a bit, there would be whines about McCann playing too.

And we win nearly 70% of the time.

And yet the next time we face a lefty... it's practically identical.

It's quite amusing.

And I do think that O'Hearn will sit vs most lefties, even in the playoffs.   And Mateo may get a start vs a lefty in a playoff game.   Don't know about sitting Mullins.

There is reason to sit OHearn though. He has a career that shows that he is awful Vs lefties.  Mullins does not, at least not in 2 of the last 3 years plus his defense in CF is light years ahead of Hicks.

There really isn’t reason to keep treating  Mullins like a platoon player. It’s not whining, it’s asking why do it?  I can understand how nuance and discussion can go over the head of some.

What is the reason?  Mullins’ numbers have recently slipped vs lefties and the OpS is down 50ish points. Is that why? is this a sign of things to come?  Do they not trust him vs lefties going forward? Is he still hurt and they just choose to sit him vs lefties? 

• Upvote 1

I think they want to rest Mullins more than usual because of his leg injuries this year, and if you’re going to do that anyway, might as well do it vs a lefty starter. I don’t mind too much, if for no other reason than having Mullins and O’Hearn as threats off the bench is pretty powerful. 

• Upvote 1