Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

When people are looking at Cease's ERA you have to remember that he has one of the 4 worst defenses in baseball playing behind him. His ERA would see a fairly significant decline with a solid defense. The WSox have a -102 DRS from 2020-2023, credit to 1908 on another message board for looking that up. 

His FIP for his career is 3.85.  Compared to his ERA of 3.67.   Seems like the bad defense really hasn't had much of an affect on him.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he'd rather have an excuse not to make a big deal.

Thus far I can't think of a single trade in which I think the team getting the boost clearly overpaid.

Maybe, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the demands made to the O's are different than to other teams. The O's have the deep pockets, everyone involved is a repeat actor who is interested in setting precedents, and there are players/agents involved.

Does it seem likely that the deal the Astros got for Verlander would have been available to us? Norby + Beavers for 1.5-2.5 years of Verlander? Would Elias say no to that? Or are the Mets/Verlander not giving the O's that option?

Just now, Pickles said:

MLB.com has him as Phillies #5 prospect with a FV 50.  

Pretty close to Norby territory.  

Ya.  Would not have been thrilled with Norby for Lorenzon, but that is mostly because I don't want Lorenzon.  I wonder if Norby plus could get us EROD. 

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he'd rather have an excuse not to make a big deal.

Thus far I can't think of a single trade in which I think the team getting the boost clearly overpaid.

I pretty much agree with you that there haven't been many lopsided trades, but the Orioles system is really strong and I wonder if teams are looking for more from them because of that.  

5 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Standing pat with our current starting rotation is certainly a choice... 

A team doesn’t have the best record in the American League on August 1st and have a crappy starting rotation. I agree the Orioles could use another starting pitcher, but I’m not about to trade two top ten or better prospects for a pitcher who might not be a true TOR starter.

Cease might have had his career season last year and will never reach that peak again. Judge him by the body of his entire career. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• See, you just can't help yourself.  You gotta get personal haha.  Never fails.  I see that a lot on internet message boards and to me it is always a sign of weakness and/or they have no argument.    Be better. 
    • ESPN (Kiley McDaniel) provides notes and re-rank of his top50.  Note that he removes players who have already lost or projected to lose eligibility in next week or so (meaning no guys like Cowser on O’s or Langford on TEX).  Link to post (note is behind paywall). Holliday #2 and 65 FV tier (along w/Skenes who jumped to #1 overall) Mayo #6 and 60 FV tier Basallo #16 and 55 FV tier Kjerstad #47 and 50 FV tier Fangraphs (Eric Longenhagen) provides update to his top100.  Unlike Kiley/ESPN, this list does not yet reflect any changes or projected changes to rookie eligibility (ie guys like Langford and Chourio are still in the top100 list).  Link to top100 list and his separate write up post. Holliday #1 Basallo #9 Mayo #22 Kjerstad #26 Povich #92
    • Exactly, your point about his upside is one of reasons I advocate him to play CF . And yes our personnel has an opening at CF . Jackson is 20 now and still at AAA . What better time to start crash course on CF than now ?
    • I don't disagree but they've been extraordinarily fortunate w/ their contact. Feels a little like the 2014 Royals series..... everything's a hit.
    • This is crazy to me.  Holliday has shown 29 fps sprint speed in a very short stint up, which is plus-plus speed.  Sprint speed doesn't even peak until like 23 or 24, so he might go even higher.  Sprint speed is one of the universal hallmarks of raw athleticism and a Holliday is really fast.   The argument for athleticism applies doe people like Juan Soto, who is a once-in-a-generation hitter but appears to be pretty mediocre as an athlete by MLB standards.  There's no way Holliday fits that description.   And if athleticism benchmarks are too specialized, just look at his defense.  He's rated at +2 at 2b in only 2 weeks by OAA, and he hasn't even looked his best.  A mediocre athlete wouldn't be able to handle the dynamic movements of a MI position the way Holliday has.
    • Glad to see Kjerstad getting another start tonight.
    • My first 2 choices to trade would be Holliday and Heston of the guys who really haven't played on the Os much yet.  I think you could get almost whatever you want for Holliday (big time starter) and add in a couple of pieces with Heston and get 2 really good relievers.    And before you ask me who?  We have all seen the names on here but guys on other teams are really not by forte.  I will leave that to the experts.  Anyway..... Bingo, your pitching staff is much better.  You can win a WS this year and have pitching for next year.  All without hurting the team this year and maybe not even next. BTW in this scenario I resign Santa in place of Heston.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now