Is anyone upset that a team just shelled out $1 billion???

DocJJ

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Do you cry or let it bother you when your neighbor comes home with a car you can’t afford?  No matter how nice your neighborhood is, there is another neighborhood nicer. Does that bother you?

Are you bothered because Home Depot has a larger market share than Lowes?

This is business. Some are more successful than others. Some are just in better markets.

So yes, they have a revenue advantage. So what? Sh!t happens. You deal with it and you move on. 

Things aren’t broken but I do think tweaks need to be made and for me, that’s a floor. 

I think most of the players smart organizations let walk are right decisions. 

No

No

No

The Business is MLB baseball and included are the clubs in various teams are members. The NFL, NBA etc all have caps and are able to function on a level playing field. Its just stupid that baseball has the government protections that prevent it.  Further, If my neighbor buys things that are nice, good for them. I dont view it as a competition. There isnt anything to win! Its Apples and Oranges.

A floor would be good for the NFL and NBA as well. In the NFL the revenue sharing should be required to be used on players salaries and so should they in baseball.

I agree it comes a point where its better to let a guy walk than pay him. But, I also appreciate that Cal Ripken was here his entire career. That doesn't happen any longer in the smaller cities. Do you think of George Brett in his prime hit free agency today that he would stay in KC?

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree it comes a point where its better to let a guy walk than pay him. But, I also appreciate that Cal Ripken was here his entire career. That doesn't happen any longer in the smaller cities. Do you think of George Brett in his prime hit free agency today that he would stay in KC?

The Rays went ahead and gave Wander Franco a big contract, the type of contract we should give Gunnar.   

Now, it looks like they didn't do all their homework before giving it to him but they did what they wanted to do in order to keep him a Ray for the bulk of his career, if not all of it.

Anaheim (again, 2nd rate organization in a first rate town) ponied up a ton of money to keep Trout an Angel for life.  

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No

No

No

The Business is MLB baseball and included are the clubs in various teams are members. The NFL, NBA etc all have caps and are able to function on a level playing field. Its just stupid that baseball has the government protections that prevent it.  Further, If my neighbor buys things that are nice, good for them. I dont view it as a competition. There isnt anything to win! Its Apples and Oranges.

A floor would be good for the NFL and NBA as well. In the NFL the revenue sharing should be required to be used on players salaries and so should they in baseball.

I have no idea what George Brett would do..and I really don’t care.

And is the NFl better for having the cap? There is a lot of parody and mediocrity in the sport, which is no different than MLB.

The best organizations are the ones who are smart…same thing in MLB.

The NBA has like 5 teams that can win a title and it’s been that way forever. 

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Because it's not broken.

People have been saying baseball is broken since the early 70s when Curt Flood and Marvin Miller fought against the reserve clause.  

This whole thing is absurdly silly.  People are so up in arms about Ohtani and Yamamoto going to the Dodgers for record amounts of money, which is what a lot of people were predicting at the start of the offseason.  Now that it actually happened, people suddenly pretend to care about the poor, lowly Pirates but it'll be another 6 or 7 months before we can go back to not caring about them at all.  

Maybe if the Pirates wanted to win, they should start like the Rays did.  Maybe they should invest in a forward thinking general manager who can bring in an analytics department and not be afraid to spend on a scouting department.  Maybe the Pirates problems aren't the system that allows the Dodgers to spend a ton of money but maybe their problems are solvable if they just hired the right people to solve them.  

You can point to to the Rays having low payroll all you want, the fact remains is that the Rays have found a way to compete, year in, year out.  That is what I meant earlier about having to foster ingenuity.  If there's a cap, ingenuity dies...or it's not nearly as robust.  At that point your only concern as a team is cap management.  

If the Orioles signed Yamamoto and Othani to those contracts at $97 million per season, how much do you think they would have to on the other 24 players? The Royals, Pirates, A's, etc. How much more do you think the Yankess, Red Sox, Dodgers have? Its broken alright.

In professional sports the field should be level and teams that are ran well are rewarded with titles. Not those buying it!

As I previously mentioned the Mets had the highest payroll and they finished 4th - 12 games below .500.  The Yankees had the second highest payroll and they also finished 4th with an 82 – 80 record. 

The San Diego Padres had the third highest payroll and they also finished with an 82 – 80 record for a third place finish. 

It's clear the big payrolls aren't always a guarantee of success. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If the Orioles signed Yamamoto and Othani to those contracts at $97 million per season, how much do you think they would have to on the other 24 players? The Royals, Pirates, A's, etc. How much more do you think the Yankess, Red Sox, Dodgers have? Its broken alright.

In professional sports the field should be level and teams that are ran well are rewarded with titles. Not those buying it!

But the Dodgers are a well run team.  They're arguably the most well run team in the game.

I'm not sure what you're arguing here.  You're upset that some teams have more money than others?

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

But the Dodgers are a well run team.  They're arguably the most well run team in the game.

I'm not sure what you're arguing here.  You're upset that some teams have more money than others?

Then they shouldnt need a 200 million dollar spending advantage.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

As I previously mentioned the Mets had the highest payroll and they finished 4th - 12 games below .500.  The Yankees had the second highest payroll and they also finished 4th with an 82 – 80 record. 

The San Diego Padres had the third highest payroll and they also finished with an 82 – 80 record for a third place finish. 

It's clear the big payrolls aren't always a guarantee of success. 

Spending money doesn't guarantee winning. I think everyone gets that! As an Oriole fan that had 1/2 its market stolen by MLB to put the Gnats in DC, I want to see our best players be Orioles for as long as they are productive. we should have the money to spend to cover some but at some point there will be an exodus. Its one thing to not want to pay a contract and another to not be able to afford it. How fun do you think its been to be an Oakland A's fan the last 20 years?

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

No

No

No

Joe stayed in Minnesota.  If Votto leaves Cini I don't blame Cini.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

The Rays went ahead and gave Wander Franco a big contract, the type of contract we should give Gunnar.   

Now, it looks like they didn't do all their homework before giving it to him but they did what they wanted to do in order to keep him a Ray for the bulk of his career, if not all of it.

Anaheim (again, 2nd rate organization in a first rate town) ponied up a ton of money to keep Trout an Angel for life.  

Yep ... As we did with Davis that forced us to move Machado. The owner became gun shy to handing out big contracts where he received no value. Plus hamstrung by the mistake where the Dodgers/Yankees write off a loss and move on like nothing happened/ The fact that you guys dont see this as a problem is comical. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yep ... As we did with Davis that forced us to move Machado. The owner became gun shy to handing out big contracts where he received no value. Plus hamstrung by the mistake where the Dodgers/Yankees write off a loss and move on like nothing happened/ The fact that you guys dont see this as a problem is comical. 

You have no evidence that the Davis contract is in any way responsible for how John is spending.

16 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Well, agree to disagree.

War Damn Eagle!

• Downvote 1