TT: DH and 4th outfielder, and last man on the bench situations

Tony-OH

Anyway, it's annoying that we have to engage in so much hand-wringing about how to fit the worst hitter on the team onto the 26-man roster, simply because the SS depth in the system is so weak that we're practically required to carry him. 

That said, we also probably need to carry both Cowser and Kjerstad at some point in the season, and that does create problems with McKenna, so I get it. 

Personally, my preference is to trade Cowser for a proper back-end reliever, Kjerstad is rotational 4th OF/DH, McKenna or Hilliard is 5th OF/backup CF. Let EBJ cook and add him when rosters expand prior to the playoffs. 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Anyway, it's annoying that we have to engage in so much hand-wringing about how to fit the worst hitter on the team onto the 26-man roster, simply because the SS depth in the system is so weak that we're practically required to carry him. 

That said, we also probably need to carry both Cowser and Kjerstad at some point in the season, and that does create problems with McKenna, so I get it. 

Personally, my preference is to trade Cowser for a proper back-end reliever, Kjerstad is rotational 4th OF/DH, McKenna or Hilliard is 5th OF/backup CF. Let EBJ cook and add him when rosters expand prior to the playoffs. 

It's a good thing.  We don't have to focus on trading for an Ace.  

I see the OD roster as pretty simple.  Look at the roster before roster expansion in September.

Hilliard replaces Hicks.

Maton replaces Frazier.  

If Mateo can cover the outfield and be the last man on the bench as a utility guy, it opens up roster space for more of the young guys to make the team. As it stands, we have one open IF spot left by Frazier, which is hopefully filled by Holliday. If we don’t need to hold onto McKenna, then that opens up another spot for either Kjerstad or Cowser to make the team. And with the versatility of our other infielders, Mateo could even make Urias expendable and open another spot later in the season if we want to bring up Mayo or Norby. I know people want to get rid of Mateo, but I think him being in a utility role on the bench could prove to be very valuable to this team. We really don’t know who we are going to want to be calling up and when so a solid utility guy gives us the flexibility to make decisions solely based on who looks the best at the time. And it seems like we just brought in Maton as depth for that type of utility role.

• Upvote 1

Paging Adam Jones to Sarasota as SS --> CF migration facilitator.

Apart from the ceiling of occasionally flashing All-Star form, I kind of think Sigbot likes Mateo as a Jarrod Dyson/Terrance Gore type guy that can also play shortstop for floor.     He is up to his age-29 season though - that's oldish for the middle of the diamond.

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It's a good thing.  We don't have to focus on trading for an Ace.  

I see the OD roster as pretty simple.  Look at the roster before roster expansion in September.

Hilliard replaces Hicks.

Maton replaces Frazier.  

Cowser and Kjerstad in AAA then? McKenna and Hilliard on the roster?

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm trying to reconcile how the SS depth in the system is weak. Henderson, Westburg, and Holliday can all play SS at a high level.  Is the argument that IF prospect depth is weak? I'd have a hard time reconciling that as well.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm trying to reconcile how the SS depth in the system is weak. Henderson, Westburg, and Holliday can all play SS at a high level.  Is the argument that IF prospect depth is weak? I'd have a hard time reconciling that as well.

System, not 26-man roster.

Let's say Henderson goes down for an extended period of time. Hyde is going to play Mateo at SS the majority of the time based on his experience and skill level. Sure, Westburg could play in a pinch, but he's basically like Urias. They just aren't going to play him there. Holliday could be a long term option, and maybe you call up Norby for 2B or something. 

But after Henderson, you have exactly 2 true shortstop options: Mateo and Holliday. That's it. No one else in the organization is coming up to play SS on this team. 100% of the organization's shortstop options exist on the 26-man roster once Holliday is added. Which is fine! But it's why Mateo is still here, is all. 

Edited by interloper

If Mateo can be the Super Utility.  And if Holliday makes the OD.  Then I wonder if they have the appetite to go without Urias (and the McKenna role)?  

Holliday, Gunnar, Westburg, and Mateo covers all the bases. 

Hays, Mullins, Santander, Cowser, HK - Are there enough PAs to feed the growing pups?

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

If Mateo can be the Super Utility.  And if Holliday makes the OD.  Then I wonder if they have the appetite to go without Urias (and the McKenna role)?  

Hays, Mullins, Santander, Cowser, HK - Are there enough PAs to feed the growing pups?

It's why one of Hays/Santander should be traded.  I'd prefer it to be Hays.  Rather would have those Hays at bats going to Cowser and/or HK.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

System, not 26-man roster.

Let's say Henderson goes down for an extended period of time. Hyde is going to play Mateo at SS the majority of the time based on his experience and skill level. Sure, Westburg could play in a pinch, but he's basically like Urias. They just aren't going to play him there. Holliday could be a long term option, and maybe you call up Norby for 2B or something. 

But after Henderson, you have exactly 2 true shortstop options: Mateo and Holliday. That's it. No one else in the organization is coming up to play SS on this team. 

Westburg has 156 games at SS in the minors. It's not like putting Urias at 1B. He can play the position, he didn't in Norfolk that much because Ortiz was the better defender. The depth can be on the 26-man for SS, why is that an issue? If you can pull 1B/2B/3B depth from the minors we have plenty of SS to cover an injury.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I think they like Urias's versatility to defend around the infield with an average bat. Even if he doesn't start anywhere he is worth keeping around. Now that we traded Ortiz, appears they are thinking we are better with Burnes-Urias than Ortiz and whatever pitcher we could have gotten for Urias.

9 minutes ago, Malike said:

Westburg has 156 games at SS in the minors. It's not like putting Urias at 1B. He can play the position, he didn't in Norfolk that much because Ortiz was the better defender. The depth can be on the 26-man for SS, why is that an issue? If you can pull 1B/2B/3B depth from the minors we have plenty of SS to cover an injury.

At no point did I ever say it was an issue, even in my thread about it which was purely observational. I'm just saying, I wish the team had your confidence in the SS depth so that we didn't have to try so hard to keep Mateo on the roster. But you and I both know Hyde is not playing Westburg at SS regardless of how many games he played there in the minors. 

So - therefore, Mateo stays. Which is ok or whatever, it's just a little exhausting. Like now he's pushing outfielders off the roster? Alright? I guess? 

• Upvote 1