John Means 2024

Tony-OH

Very solid start for Means tonight.  Once he had the lead he didn’t fool around.  I actually was a bit annoyed with the HR he allowed because it was a pure “get me over” 3-1 fastball, but with a 5-1 lead, I’d rather see that than a walk.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Very solid start for Means tonight.  Once he had the lead he didn’t fool around.  I actually was a bit annoyed with the HR he allowed because it was a pure “get me over” 3-1 fastball, but with a 5-1 lead, I’d rather see that than a walk.  

I thought he was pretty lucky. There were a ton of hard-hit balls and he was fortunate he wasn't facing a team that is hitting well, he hung a lot of pitches and was lucky that Seattle missed most of them.

14 minutes ago, Malike said:

I thought he was pretty lucky. There were a ton of hard-hit balls and he was fortunate he wasn't facing a team that is hitting well, he hung a lot of pitches and was lucky that Seattle missed most of them.

I agree…i didn’t think his stuff was that impressive and there were many loud outs.  He will get lit up soon if this continues.  All that said, I’ll take the results as at least he gives his team a chance and doesn’t allow free bases.

1 minute ago, EdwinRip said:

I agree…i didn’t think his stuff was that impressive and there were many loud outs.  He will get lit up soon if this continues.  All that said, I’ll take the results as at least he gives his team a chance and doesn’t allow free bases.

When you don’t walk dudes it’s amazing how everything else seems to fall into place.

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Especially with the wall. The batter managed to clear it. Oh well, tip your cap. 

• Upvote 1

Means runs his pitch count higher than he should, no matter if it is the 4th or 8th batter in the batting order.  But he is a hard throwing Lefty, so I guess we should give him a little slack. We all know that other things being equal, lefties are often wilder than righties.  I hope we do not need some of tonights runs the rest of the weekend.  

2 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Means runs his pitch count higher than he should, no matter if it is the 4th or 8th batter in the batting order.  But he is a hard throwing Lefty, so I guess we should give him a little slack. We all know that other things being equal, lefties are often wilder than righties.  I hope we do not need some of tonights runs the rest of the weekend.  

Not the description I would use, personally.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

When you don’t walk dudes it’s amazing how everything else seems to fall into place.

He has taken Corbin Burnes' juju at getting a high number of strikeouts before seasonal walk #1.

Postgame interview he was pretty open with the scrum about how he knows that the hitters know he is going to throw a bunch of strikes.

As sure as Orioles bats are swinging a lot for powerful contact, Orioles arms accept home run risk to avoid walks.    It seems it is just basic strategy, like splitting aces.

Posted (edited)

Broadcast was speculating on something being wrong with Means since his velo was down and they were warming a guy up in the bullpen in the 3rd inning. There were also some conversations taking place in the dugout, I believe. Melewski noted he was shaking out his arm in the dugout. 

Means has pitched well, but to be perfectly honest, 4 starts and then an injury seems about par for the course for him post-TJS. It's a shame. 

Edited by interloper