Gunnar Henderson vs. Bobby Witt -- who will have the better career?

Frobby

On second thought….

Anyway, that draft was full of great guys, though. Josh Jung, Corbin Carroll, Alex Manoah, George Kirby. And at 42, Gunnar. I wonder how many of the earlier picks will leave their teams second guessing their choice?

Edited by Philip
Moot question, so deleted.

I absolutely hate to say it, but Anthony Volpe looks like he wants to challenge both these guys for the title of best young SS in the AL. After a four hit night he is 8-for-14 on the year with four walks and five extra base hits.

3 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

I absolutely hate to say it, but Anthony Volpe looks like he wants to challenge both these guys for the title of best young SS in the AL. After a four hit night he is 8-for-14 on the year with four walks and five extra base hits.

Verrryyy early. He had an .666 OPS (appropriate number for a Yankee) in his age 22 season, Gunnar .814, so yeah, you know, SSS effects!

43 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Witt. His speed will set him apart. 

Not like Gunnar is slow. And Gunnar will likely win in OBP and has the better arm at short.

Having said all of that, I'd take Witt but it's very close. 

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I would love to ask Elias if he had taken Witt over Adley, does he think he still takes Gunnar.

And if he does, does he take Holliday?

That stuff fascinates me.

Witt is a really good ball player. Gotta wonder “what if”, But I think the “what if” with Witt will end for me personally when we have,

C - Adley

SS - Gunnar

2B - Holliday

3B - Mayo/Westburg

Butterfly effect but I don’t know if we get to better than if we draft Witt over Adley. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I would love to ask Elias if he had taken Witt over Adley, does he think he still takes Gunnar.

And if he does, does he take Holliday?

That stuff fascinates me.

An infield of Gunnar/Witt/Holliday would be crazy.

They are two very, very special players for sure. It's really hard to say overall. I'd rather compare them from their first full seasons on rather than on a year by year stats since that's unfair to Gunnar.

Gunnar outperformed Witt in their first full seasons with Gunnar winning the rookie of the year. Gunnar was a little older than Witt in that debut season though and had more minor league PAs. 

Witt is off to a white hot start this year and looks pretty amazing right now, but Gunnar is no slouch. If I was building a team from scratch and I could only take one of them, just going off of skills, not contracts or anything else, I'd probably take Gunnar. But it would be very close.

Two reasons I'd take Gunnar. He bats left-handed and is going to draw more walks than Witt. Witt is going to steal more bases and while he has probably better range than Gunnar, his throwing accuracy is not as good as Gunnar's. 

You can't go wrong with either player. They are both among the brightest young stars in the game.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

He had a .209 average and .666 OPS last year let’s pump the breaks over a 5 day sample size. 🙄