On MLB just now the host were asking what should Baltimore give up to get Miller from the A's

Gurgi

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It is kind of funny that you’re ok giving up Mayo but Enrique Bradfield would hold up a Mason Miller deal. 

I think that we have players on the team and in the system that are like Mayo. Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t want to give him up and would prefer to give up Kjerstad or even Basallo (since Mayo is more of a certainty than Basallo IMO). 

However, I don’t see anyone with the skill set of a Bradfield Jr in the system. I see us giving us that speed component on the base paths as Mateo and Mullins age out/leave. Of course, the OB skills have to be there for Bradfield to make it to the Bigs. But I don’t see a reasonable reason to doubt the front office’s drafting and development abilities to this point. 

Yeah let’s trade away Mayo and EBJ for Mason Miller. Then at the deadline we can deal Basallo, Kjerstad, and Norby, for Adam Ottavino and JD Martinez. Then we’ll have a nice little 2 year run, then everyone can cry that Rubenstein is just like Angelos, meanwhile we suck. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That is true. The org has been incredibly successful with finding bullpen pieces from the scrap heap. Maybe none is a better example than the name that you left out, Yenier Cano. 

However, the reasonable expectations have shifted now. We have a legit shot at the WS this season and there is only really one team who stands reason to challenge us in the AL, the Yankees. And we only have one hole on this team - closer. 

It doesn’t take being a rocker scientist (like Sig) to understand that if we get into a bullpen battle game with the Yankees in October, right now we will be undermanned. Does anybody trust Kimbrel to save a game in Yankee stadium in the postseason?

It makes no sense given those factors to not raise the floor of the performance of the back end of the bullpen and acquire a more reasonable steady piece, IMO.

That doesn’t have to be Mason Miller but it should be a player who is performing well… not a volatile/maybe acquisition like Fuji. IMO there is too much variance in acquisition like which IMO represents unnecessary risk.

I pretty much agree with everything you said here.

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I think that we have players on the team and in the system that are like Mayo. Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t want to give him up and would prefer to give up Kjerstad or even Basallo (since Mayo is more of a certainty than Basallo IMO). 

However, I don’t see anyone with the skill set of a Bradfield Jr in the system. I see us giving us that speed component on the base paths as Mateo and Mullins age out/leave. Of course, the OB skills have to be there for Bradfield to make it to the Bigs. But I don’t see a reasonable reason to doubt the front office’s drafting and development abilities to this point. 

If you wanted Miller bad enough to give up Mayo and Bradfield was the sticking point to making a deal there’s no way you’re not giving him up.   You’d walk away from a deal and potentially leave Miller out there for our competitors over Bradfield?   

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah let’s trade away Mayo and EBJ for Mason Miller. Then at the deadline we can deal Basallo, Kjerstad, and Norby, for Adam Ottavino and JD Martinez. Then we’ll have a nice little 2 year run, then everyone can cry that Rubenstein is just like Angelos, meanwhile we suck. 

Overreact much?

Before the Burnes deal, I would've said a deal like this is impossible. Now, I say, it's just highly unlikely. Obviously, Burnes and Miller are vastly different given service time. Helsley, being closer to free agency, seems to be more up Elias' alley and the leader in the clubhouse right now for who I expect to be the acquisition. That said, Miller would be absolutely insane. Imagining a Bautista/Miller backend in 2025 is just sick. But...the control, injury risk and potential for him to be transitioned into a starter all complicate things so much. If it's Mayo+ to get it done, I'm out. If it's Kjerstad+ I reluctantly do it (provided the + isn't that much). I do think it's possible the A's would look for more solid quantity than one big piece to help them build the club. The Orioles certainly have the depth to offer more than any other team if they're willing to go with back-end top-100 guys to get more MLB-ready (or near MLB ready) quantity. 

Posted (edited)

The lack of understanding w/r/t team building astounds me sometimes.

You don’t trade guys who are arguably top 5 hitting prospects for a reliever with a high risk of injury. It’s just non sensical.

You know why Elias always drafts hitters?  Because they are far more of a sure thing and we are seeing doctors and coaches, etc..talking about how these guys throwing this hard are going to break down because the arm just can’t take it.

I would love to add Miller but there is a stopping point on what you give up and Mayo and Basallo are that clear line of stopping.

You absolutely, 100% do not even consider making that move. 

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The lack of understand on team building astounds me sometimes.

You don’t trade guys who are arguably top 5 hitting prospects for a reliever with a high risk of injury. It’s just non sensical.

You know why Elias always drafts hitters?  Because they are far more of a sure thing and we are seeing doctors and coaches, etc..talking about how these guys throwing this hard are going to break down because the arm just can’t take it.

I would love to add Miller but there is a stopping point on what you give up and Mayo and Basallo are that clear line of stopping.

You absolutely, 100% do not even consider making that move. 

That's an exaggeration.

Tons of hitters also don't pan out.

Even the ones viewed as sure things like Torkelson and Johnson struggle.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's an exaggeration.

Tons of hitters also don't pan out.

Even the ones viewed as sure things like Torkelson and Johnson struggle.

I never said all the hitters pan out. I said hitters are more of a sure thing and that is factually true.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I never said all the hitters pan out. I said hitters are more of a sure thing and that is factually true.

No, you said hitters are far more of a sure thing.

It's right up there, a few posts ago.

Why do other teams ever draft pitchers?  Are they stupid?

Why doesn't every team just draft hitters and trade them for pitchers?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, you said hitters are far more of a sure thing.

It's right up there, a few posts ago.

Why do other teams ever draft pitchers?  Are they stupid?

Why doesn't every team just draft hitters and trade them for pitchers?

Well they are far more of a sure thing.  Again, this has been proven through stats and data over the years.

And teams draft pitching because you also need pitchers. 

Im not interested in getting into one of your stupid, semantics driven trolling arguments.  Go yell into a mirror and maybe the person looking back at you will be the one person who cares to hear your thoughts.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If you wanted Miller bad enough to give up Mayo and Bradfield was the sticking point to making a deal there’s no way you’re not giving him up.   You’d walk away from a deal and potentially leave Miller out there for our competitors over Bradfield?   

I would have to think hard on that and figure out what my plan would be to obtain (through draft or Dominican/International) a young prospect with that kind of skill set.

I don’t know if any of our competitors (except the Phillies if you consider them a competitor) could come anywhere close to matching/exceeding a Mayo + Bradfield offer. 

I would have to be convinced that someone could beat that offer before agreeing to pull the trigger. 

It would also depend on who else was out there to be acquired and what those acquisitions would require. But if I absolutely had to, I would begrudgingly do it.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well they are far more of a sure thing.  Again, this has been proven through stats and data over the years.

And teams draft pitching because you also need pitchers. 

Im not interested in getting into one of your stupid, semantics driven trolling arguments.  Go yell into a mirror and maybe the person looking back at you will be the one person who cares to hear your thoughts.

And yet pitchers exist.

It's not "far" more.

You are just pissy that someone actually bothered to read your drivel and call you on it.