T. Rowe Price O's new jersey sponsor

spleen1015

38 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

If PA or JA did that the vast majority here would be pissing and moaning about greedy owner. I don't like it. Between that and the betting ads it sucks IMO. You wait, the Pete Rose betting will be nothing compared to betting that goes on now and in the future. Of course, MLB will cover it now that it creates revenue.

Peter never would have done it if the Yankees didn't do it. He tried to emulate them. Do you remember the facial hair policy until Andy Mac and Buck convinced him to relax it? The Yankees have an arm patch, Starr Insurance, the logo looks a lot less worse than this one.

In all seriousness, this looks like some cheap iron-on my mom tried to put on a tshirt for me in the 80’s.  They couldn’t even get a nice stitched patch?  And a version that matched the color scheme, particularly for the black Jersey?  These would look more at home on the Baysox jerseys with the teal colors.

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't care much about the logo, but teal? Jeez, throw the O's a bone and put it on a white background.

I'm sure there were hours of discussion about size and color of the patch and how that would affect the value of the deal. TRP was probably prepared to pay X amount of dollars/year for just the words "T. Rowe Price" in orange, and Y amount for this monstrosity, and ownership liked Y much more.

The Yankees patch deal is rumored to be worth $20M/year, and I have to think this is less given the smaller audiences that will have eyeballs on Orioles games. It certainly doesn't bring in half of what a Gunnar extension would cost per year.  

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

One thing I'm curious about...I mean, I'd never buy a jersey cause I'm an adult, but is this patch included on jerseys sold to fans, too?  I couldn't imagine buying a Gunnar Henderson jersey with a stupid T. Rowe Price patch on the sleeve.

I’m not going to buy a jersey, but there’s no way I’d buy one with a giant T Rowe Price logo on it. Otherwise give out the jerseys for free in exchange for the free advertising T Rowe Price is getting.

I’m not a fan of this, but if the money received gets invested into the player’s salaries then it’s a necessary evil of this day and age in MLB. 

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I wonder what @Frobbyand the other Duke fans think of it?   It's got a lot of Carolina Blue and of course UNC uses a goat as a mascot.

I suspect that, if nobody mentioned the patches, I never would have noticed them.  I’m quite oblivious to what uniforms the Orioles wear.  Sitting here now, I couldn’t tell you which versions of their uniforms they wore yesterday.   

16 minutes ago, Malike said:

At leat a lot of them are ass cheeks.

image.thumb.png.e55c3a87d2c86964d11eea3fcb673ddb.png

I'm glad the O's at least figured out a circular one. To me the square or other odd-shaped ones look much more out of place. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well I don’t think we are getting a new stadium anytime soon.

But yea, they could pocket it…which is up to them since you know, they own the business.

That was more of a general thought, than an O's specific one. Maryland taxpayers did just donate $600M to renovate the stadium though. Maybe Rubenstein should put the proceeds from this towards defraying that cost to the state. Since he owns the business and all. 

1 minute ago, .500_OR_BETTER said:

In a few years the jerseys will look like soccer unis with sponsorship ads all over.  It was only a matter of time.

I would rather get a large long-term stadium naming rights deal. 

It would just end up being both.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sorta true, but IIRC it was in the works.  There was a report of some company that was either going to get a jersey patch or naming rights to the stadium and they were surprised about the new ownership change, they had heard nothing about it.

There was some talk it was in the works under John.  Peter specifically refused to sell the naming rights. I don't know if he was mentally competent when the opportunity for the patches came around, but I would suspect he would have been against that as well.