T. Rowe Price O's new jersey sponsor

spleen1015

8 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

But as you stated it is PURE profit-the only cost the Orioles bear is the signage and some tickets/boxes no one was using anyway.  And if your OI is ~$99m adding another $15m with very little cost basis is rather consequential.

I never said otherwise.... in fact that's more or less exactly what I was saying.

To me every indication prior to the sale was that JA was doing all he could to put the team in a favorable position for sale and every indication now is that DR will increase payroll/spending in a meaningful way.

Is it? What indication do we have that this will happen? Because he's charming and brings good vibes? For all we know he could slash payroll and he wouldn't have broken any stated promises.

9 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Makes me skeptical of the $75m report. If it's that lucrative then how are there 10 teams who haven't done it yet? Are they stupid?

I guess they all have more integrity than sham organizations like the New York Yankees. /s

23 hours ago, HowAbout That said:

One thing I love about baseball in general is the history, and no team prostitution. Then we got the naming rights lunacy, and we no longer go to Comiskey park, it’s Guaranteed Loss field…oops..Guaranteed RATE. But before that it was US Cellular field. And next season it will be “whoever pays up field”

And now putting advertising on uniforms. It’s tawdry. It’s cheap, and I hate it. And it means not a thing to the day to day operations, nor will it result in a couple extra bucks being offered to anyone. 
Please Lord, let the park’s name remain not for sale.

We've had Wrigley Field and Busch Stadium since before almost all of us were born. Look at the stadiums of 100 or even 150 years ago and the outfield walls are completely covered with advertising. 110 years ago the Federal League's Brooklyn Tip Tops were named for the Tip Top Bread that was baked by owner Robert Ward's company. Major League players have been paid spokesmen for all kinds of products, many of questionable taste, since the beginning of time. Probably my first exposure to Joe DiMaggio was as the Mr. Coffee guy.

I'm going to bet that if Harry Von Der Horst and Ned Hanlon thought they could make $500 from selling advertising on the NL Orioles' uniforms, and renaming Union Park to Dr. Hornswaggle's Miracle Brain Tonic Stadium they'd have absolutely 100% done that.

Perhaps I'm just not indignant enough about things, but I have a hard time getting worked up about a T Rowe Price patch on the O's sleeve.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

We've had Wrigley Field and Busch Stadium since before almost all of us were born. Look at the stadiums of 100 or even 150 years ago and the outfield walls are completely covered with advertising. 110 years ago the Federal League's Brooklyn Tip Tops were named for the Tip Top Bread that was baked by owner Robert Ward's company. Major League players have been paid spokesmen for all kinds of products, many of questionable taste, since the beginning of time. Probably my first exposure to Joe DiMaggio was as the Mr. Coffee guy.

I'm going to bet that if Harry Von Der Horst and Ned Hanlon thought they could make $500 from selling advertising on the NL Orioles' uniforms, and renaming Union Park to Dr. Hornswaggle's Miracle Brain Tonic Stadium they'd have absolutely 100% done that.

Perhaps I'm just not indignant enough about things, but I have a hard time getting worked up about a T Rowe Price patch on the O's sleeve.

I think I read somewhere that August Busch wanted to name Busch Stadium "Budweiser Stadium" but the commissioner wouldn't let him. 

It's true that owners have never been above making a buck, it's in their DNA as millionaires and now billionaires. It's telling, though, that NFL is the one holdout among sports leagues in keeping ads off the uniforms (not counting the Nike swoosh). NFL owners are greedy, but there is that "Protect the Shield" culture that kicks in and makes them understand that jersey ads make the league look cheap and struggling financially. Not having the ads projects success for the brand of the league.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I think I read somewhere that August Busch wanted to name Busch Stadium "Budweiser Stadium" but the commissioner wouldn't let him. 

It's true that owners have never been above making a buck, it's in their DNA as millionaires and now billionaires. It's telling, though, that NFL is the one holdout among sports leagues in keeping ads off the uniforms (not counting the Nike swoosh). NFL owners are greedy, but there is that "Protect the Shield" culture that kicks in and makes them understand that jersey ads make the league look cheap and struggling financially. Not having the ads projects success for the brand of the league.

Yes, I think the story goes that they wouldn't let him name it Budweiser Stadium so he named it Busch Stadium and about 20 minutes later launched Busch Beer.

And I don't really buy the cheap and financially struggling argument when teams like Real Madrid and Man U that are worth $billions have ads on their kits, and have for decades.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

And I don't really buy the cheap and financially struggling argument when teams like Real Madrid and Man U that are worth $billions have ads on their kits, and have for decades.

That may be. I don't follow volleyball and I don't know anything about those teams.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Makes me skeptical of the $75m report. If it's that lucrative then how are there 10 teams who haven't done it yet? Are they stupid?

Some pretty bad/low-attendance teams on that list: A’s, Cubs, Mariners, Nationals, Phillies, Pirates, Rays, Rockies, Twins, and White Sox.  Clearly the Phils and Cubs are good and/or popular.

Maybe those teams haven't received an offer they like yet.  It's possible (assuming it's correct) the $75M deal with the Orioles would have been less a few years ago when they stunk.

19 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I never said otherwise.... in fact that's more or less exactly what I was saying.

Is it? What indication do we have that this will happen? Because he's charming and brings good vibes? For all we know he could slash payroll and he wouldn't have broken any stated promises.

Please re-read I was simply adding context to that portion of your argument and pointing out to others that increasing OI by 15% in not insignifigant.  What would that be worth to a public company competing in an industry with supposedly thin margins?

Sure he could but there is no indication that he would.  This is simply my opinion but he appears to be a fan as opposed to JA, new owners ALWAYS tend to spend, he's a bright man is competitive and understands the Orioles have a competitive window in which increased investment in payroll benefits the value of the franchise.  He also appears to be philanthropic. parochial and not necessarily driven by profit-beyond that the franchise will be watched very closely by the MLBPA (and the owners) as to how they invest back into the brand and I don't think DR and his partners want to become pariahs like the Angelos family.  I have the expectation that the Orioles will ultimately settle around middle of the pack-where their revenue should fall but it will take a few years to get there.

C'mon people.. this is AMERICA. Everything is for sale. Everything.

If, however, I see the Hopkins' lacrosse team wearing them, and they are orange and black, I'm going to be pissed.

I honestly didn't even notice the patch when I got home, I guess if you aren't looking for it it blends in or whatever. If the team goes on a losing streak maybe people will complain about things that actually matter.

On 6/10/2024 at 5:17 PM, NashLumber said:

Kind of resembles Ramses, the UNC Tar Heel mascot. Similar color, too. The Dookies are not gonna like this. 

Isn’t Rubenstein a Dookie? And Grant Hill is a minority owner. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Malike said:

I honestly didn't even notice the patch when I got home, I guess if you aren't looking for it it blends in or whatever. If the team goes on a losing streak maybe people will complain about things that actually matter.

I like 👍🏻 your answer. Just ignore it and focus on the players and the game ⚾