Gunnar or Witt try to be impartial? part2

bub668

I mean, Witt had the better second half but he is also a year ahead of Gunnar. Gunnar's year 2 stats > Witt so hopefully we can see another job for Gunnar next year -- particularly getting his average up and cutting down on strike outs. Also, the defense as mentioned.

Interestingly, Baseball Reference changed their WAR calculation for Gunnar since yesterday. He went from 8.9 to 9.1 even though he didn't play any new games.

I guess it had something to do with the double header in Atlanta being entered into the cumulative data? Odd.

Urias went up from 1.4 to 1.5 on the year, too.

Don’t judge a guy by his best year. And don’t judge them by their worst. Witt had an amazing season this year after a very good season last year. But Gunnar is right up there with him. 

Gunnar has more bWAR than Witt (16.2 vs 14.7) in nearly 500 less ABs (1,306 vs 1,868). Yeah, it’s easy to get enamored by the stolen bases and the batting average, but Gunnar is a lefty at OPACY and Witt is a righty. I think Gunnar is better made for this stadium. And, of course, defense is Witt's specialty. But, I think there's still upside to Gunnar's defense.

Give me Gunnar.

Edited by LookitsPuck
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TommyPickles said:

Interestingly, Baseball Reference changed their WAR calculation for Gunnar since yesterday. He went from 8.9 to 9.1 even though he didn't play any new games.

I guess it had something to do with the double header in Atlanta being entered into the cumulative data? Odd.

Urias went up from 1.4 to 1.5 on the year, too.

Dang it, now Scott Boras is going to want to price free agent seasons at $90 million, not $80 million :)

I think the point about Gunnar being left handed does swing this in his favor, if it’s an Os specific question. No sense in having your main stud player hitting warning track lasers that would be HRs in 29 other ballparks, over and over again. We may find out exactly how frustrating that is when it comes to Mayo the next couple years  Hopefully we find out!

As for the speed, Witt is of course faster. But Gunnar had 20+ stolen bases himself this year. Not like he’s slogging around out there. And Gunnar is a fantastic baserunner overall  

I think the defense is closer than people think too. Easy to be biased negatively because Gunnar struggled for a bit there. But there’s a reason we were all so surprised by that - he’s been rock solid otherwise. 

Lastly if we had Witt, we wouldn’t have Adley.  Which still matters despite his tough second half. That element (which I realize isn’t necessarily part of the question) makes it a complete no-brainer. 

• Upvote 1

Gunnar is an exceptional player, with the room to improve his game defensively. Right now, Bobby Witt is the best player in baseball IMO. So there you have it. These guys will be compared to each other for many, many years going forward. Next year, Gunnar may have the edge. But right now? No doubt, it’s Witt. 

On 9/6/2024 at 10:16 PM, Aristotelian said:

Witt. He is a more consistent hitter. Gunnar has a few more HR but Witt is hitting over .330. He is just more consistent offensively and probably better on defense as well. That being said, I'd rather have Gunnar-Adley than Witt and whoever else they picked. 

Not sure why it wouldn't have been Witt and Gunnar.  There would have been the money.  

It is incredibly close for me and it depends on the conditions of the question. 

If you want to know which player I'd rather have on my team (personality and chemistry aside) for this postseason run all else aside, I'll say Witt, but again, it's close. 

And if we are factoring contracts, it's still Witt since he signed an extension. 

If it's money being equal who do I want for the rest of their career, it may be a slight edge to Henderson. He's one year younger with most of a season less experience. His first full season was better than Witt's first full season. He's second full season was better than Witt's second full season. We will see what he does next year. 

Overall, though, it's splitting hairs for me, but I do think Witt is the better player right now. 

I’m sure I’ve had a couple moments of my baseball fandom where I found space in my heart and brain to be impartial. Most of the time, 99 percent of my focus is on the players showing up to work at the Yard, those are my guys.

With apologies to the intent of the thread with an impartial pick — Witt is awesome, but Gunnar is my guy.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Witt is the much better defender at SS and is having an amazing year. They are both impact players that you build around, but gun to my head, probably have to go Witt.

Witt was hot dog water at SS his first year and was just passable his 2nd.  Gunnar looked great and had an absolutely awful defensive slump for 6 weeks, then looked fine again.  I wouldn't bet against Gunnar getting that consistency back and being elite there next year.

Edited by Hallas

Just think...we could've had both of them if not for Adley 1-1.

Not second guessing or saying it was wrong...just food for thought.

Edit: sorry didn't see some already allude to this 

Edited by warrior21
Clarification
  • Upvote 1