Great Sun Article on Hobgood

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.hobgood14jun14,0,2574554.story

One great quote from it:

"I'd like to get to the pros as quick as I can and help the O's start kicking butt in the American League East," he said. "Striking out A-Rod would be a nice way to start."

Another great one:

"Why should we draft you?" amateur scouting director Joe Jordan asked the 6-foot-4, 245-pound right-hander during a sit-down last week.

"Because I hate losing more than I like winning," Hobgood said.

Haha I can dig that.

You can certainly see the intangibles that Joe Jordan saw in MH, which apparently pushed him, at least in part, above the other potential choices. The Kid's make-up appears "off the charts." He makes it extremely easy to root for him.

The more and more I hear from Hobgood, the more I like the kid. He is easily my favorite players in the minors now (well, as of June 27th when he officially signs).
You mean there's more to know about a kid than his ranking on the prospect lists?

It was posted in another thread, but bears repeating here for others that didn't see it:

"It's just someone calling your name," a subdued Matzek said afterward. "It means a lot on a personal level, but it doesn't mean a lot in a business way. It's just the start, it's really not anything huge, but it definitely means something.

"We'll just see how Colorado negotiates and what happens."

"It's going to be a long negotiation, I have a feeling," Jeff Matzek said. "If the Rockies are serious about what they're doing, they'll get a deal done."

Hobgood bought an O's hat at the mall when the team probably could have just given him one.

It was posted in another thread, but bears repeating here for others that didn't see it:

Hobgood bought an O's hat on the internet when the team probably could have just given him one.

I was looking at some Rox's sites and they're excited and reserved about the pick. I heard Matzek's comments when he made them and was glad we didn't draft him. He seems flaky to me and I think it would be stupid to sign a HS player to a $7m contract. When he said his coach at Oregon would let him play some 1b, I sighed and said thank god we don't have to deal with this.

After doing a little research on Hobgood I was instantly smitten with him ;).

He not only will be easy to sign but his off the field character is through the roof. I total get what Jordan was thinking and cannot wait for him to get started.

BTW, I also think we should be handing out hats to our draftee's...

I was looking at some Rox's sites and they're excited and reserved about the pick. I heard Matzek's comments when he made them and was glad we didn't draft him. He seems flaky to me and I think it would be stupid to sign a HS player to a $7m contract. When he said his coach at Oregon would let him play some 1b, I sighed and said thank god we don't have to deal with this.

After doing a little research on Hobgood I was instantly smitten with him ;).

He not only will be easy to sign but his off the field character is through the roof. I total get what Jordan was thinking and cannot wait for him to get started.

BTW, I also think we should be handing out hats to our draftee's...

Easy fellas. I am sure he will get enough Orioles apperal when he signs. HE lives in CA, so I doubt we would have someone waiting at his house for him to put on the hat. And it would suck to mail out the Hat to him and not draft him.

This isn't the NFL where everyone gets mad camera time after they get drafted.

We get it dude, we know who you would have loved to have drafted.

You can't even read the article and give Hobgood props for being a class act.

I'm saying Matzek doesn't seem to give 100% out there all the time and his somewhat aloof with the press.

Bedard is the same way as he asks out of games and hates speaking to the press...

But both are extremely talented LHPs, but both have some major character flaws.

I think those flaws are the reason Bedard isn't on this team and why we also didn't draft Matzek...

Archived