Roch: AM isn't putting on a show for the fans by making offers he secretly hopes are turned down

ChaosLex

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Roch generally but he's kind of a baby about criticism.

Not that my opinion matters too much, but I must say I have lost alot of respect for Roch because of that response. At this point how could you not think Andy was just making token offers? We are not in a position to let the market set itself and offer market value. Players don't want to come here, you have to come in with a huge offer.

Not that my opinion matters too much, but I must say I have lost alot of respect for Roch because of that response. At this point how could you not think Andy was just making token offers? We are not in a position to let the market set itself and offer market value. Players don't want to come here, you have to come in with a huge offer.

I agree on the first part. That was very unprofessional and it's not the first time he has done this either.

As for token offers, I don't think that's necessarily what is happening but at the very least it's clear that MacPhail just doesn't have a clue about where the market is, and it's also clear that he is deathly afraid of risking overpaying.

I like Roch generally but he's kind of a baby about criticism.

I still like him, but he was better at The Sun than at MASN.

4/40 Is a joke.

I think Dipper said it in another thread but I'll say it again. No way we are getting AGON or Fielder next year. At least not with MacPhail as the GM.

I still like him, but he was better at The Sun than at MASN.

4/40 Is a joke.

I think Dipper said it in another thread but I'll say it again. No way we are getting AGON or Fielder next year. At least not with MacPhail as the GM.

We're not getting them regardless of the GM, dude.

We need to draft one.

We're not getting them regardless of the GM, dude.

We need to draft one.

I think we need to show that we can win in this division before we land any big impact free agent. If we can somehow win 85 games this year and be within 10 games of the leader, we could possibly lure a Fielder to this team.

I don't see that happening without a few substantive moves, though.

This is 100% true, and it's a disconcerting if not unsurprising given MacPhail's inability to sign free agents historically.

I just don't see MacPhail as the type of guy to significantly overpay for someone.

He significantly overpaid for Atkins last year. That cost us $4.5M more than Wiggy made for what? He overpaid to get Gonzalez because he ran out of closer options. Why? because all the options dried up after he waited for the market to develop and he panic after last years winter meetings went so bad for him. He does overpay it is just at such low levels that it does not kill the team and they are usually short term contracts so no one notices. If Atkins is worth $4.5M why is Koji not owrth an arbitration offer? He is way too risk averse.

Us either. I am shocked.

I called mine when the spring training schedule was annouced. He said everything was at a stand still until the concession contract was signed. Evidently they need that cost figure to see the impact on ticket prices.

Typically Orioles, they can only do 1 thing at a time

Reports are out that Sox hope to keep Konerko.

We will see.

I live in Central IL and listen to Chicago sports talk radio a lot. The guys are former journalists who covered the teams and still have several sources. Here is what they indicated about Konerko yesterday after the Dunn signing:

1. Kenny Williams definitely still wants Konerko

2. Konerko has a family issue (unsure of what exactly) that makes him want to be closer to home (Arizona). White Sox have spring training in AZ.

3. Williams is ready to make a deal with Konerko, but Paul and his agent want to go through the Winter Meetings and see what the market is like for him (the assumption is that he'll go back to the White Sox with whatever offer unless the team sufficiently satisfies criterion #2).

The conclusion is that it is not all about the money for Konerko. #2 is really important to him. All the Orioles are doing is setting the market (again) so that he can go back to the White Sox (or a team closer to his AZ home) with an understanding of his market value.

The O's need to forget about Konerko and move on, as I suggest to other posters on here.

No matter how you slice it..the Orioles will probably have to overpay for a quality first baseman. Lee is NOT a great option as his age and numbers and injuries reflect a fading player..yet I believe he may be the player the Orioles end up with.Berkman? Same story. The White Sox believe they can have BOTH Konerko AND Dunn, which could be a nightmare for AL Central opposing teams.My suggestion was to go after Konerko in a mammoth deal that the Sox wont or cant match.Yet, it may be too late for that already. Konerko may have already made up his mind.Im still not sure WHY though he would want to DH..hes a pretty good first baseman...and Dunn is not..but doesnt want to DH.

Reynolds will require one of the Orioles young pitchers; maybe Hernandez or Tillman..and losing one of those doesnt make me happy(I still think its too early to deal them).The Orioles HAVE to step up and make a splash signing(I dont believe resigning Izturis is a great fan pleaser either). This team simply cannot wait year after year for some prospect to "blossom". They better have something up their sleeve or this will be another dissapointing offseason.

This team NEEDS to sell tickets and energize its fan base...its quickly appearing that the Orioles will do neither... again.

Why doesn't age play a factor in your opinion of Konerko? He's a good player, but he's just as likely to fall on his face as those other two guys (only with $20+ million of additional risk in investment).

I'm completely with you on the disappointment and the longing for them to make a significant move, but I don't feel that Konerko is an efficient place to look. As this point, I half hope that AM falls flat on his face this offseason, doesn't get his deal re-newed, and we get a GM next year who has the cahones to bring in a 1B necessary to compete in the AL East.

Archived