vs. TAMPA BAY RAYS 7/25

OFFNY

In Flaherty's game before last, didn't he absolutely drive a pitch over the CF wall? I don't get when a guy seems to get a few starts in a row and even his outs were hard hit balls and you take him out of the line up.

I didn't get taking him out yesterday either but I do get protecting him against Price. Either way, Flaherty better start the rest of the season. When Andino is healthy he should either become the 3B platoon with Betemit or go to AAA. I think I prefer Quintanilla to him.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me too, but Price is flat out nasty. I'm honestly surprised his ERA is as high as 2.64 this year. That 96-97 MPH heat from the LH side with his height is nearly unhittable on its own.

Makes me wonder--is he one of the best #1 picks ever? In the game right now I think Chipper and Hamilton are on his level. Who else is/was there? Griffey?

Hamilton? He won't make the short list, his career won't last long enough.

Here is a wiki list of the picks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_overall_Major_League_Baseball_draft_picks

I might be changing my mind about hitter over pitcher...

The thing you should be changing your mind about is buyer vs. seller. This team is in very good position to compete next year and the years after if handled correctly. We need to not ruin that this year for a playoff run which is highly unlikely to be successful.

Tonight the O's will score 8 runs and still lose. We're going back to 2011 ways.

Day 1: great pitching, crap hitting. L. In this game, the SP gets discouraged because his team didn't have his back during his great effort. Next game he gives up 5+ runs.

Day 2: terrible pitching, great hitting. L. In this game, the SP can't locate any of his pitches but the bats are trying to make up for last night. Bats score a healthy pile of runs but it's not enough to win.

Day 3: terrible pitching, crap hitting. L. In this game, both sides of the club have fully conceded to their suckitude.

Day 4: good enough pitching, home run derby hitting. W. Before this game, Buck screams at the top of his lungs at the incompetence of the players for going on a 3 game losing streak, so the hitters go out and swing like they're going to be slowly disemboweled by a chainsaw if they don't hit a home run.

Day 5: great pitching, hitting gets shutout. L. The hitters, mentally and emotionally exhausted from batting for their lives the previous game, do absolutely nothing to back the pitcher's solid offering.

Edit: I forgot their new 2012 trick:

Day 6: competitive pitching, competitive hitting, defensive miscues cost the game. L. In this game, the O's score enough runs to win, and the pitcher gets enough legitimate would-be outs to hold the lead, but one or more defensive miscues cost run(s) and the ballgame.

Rinse and repeat.

Hamilton? He won't make the short list, his career won't last long enough.

Here is a wiki list of the picks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_overall_Major_League_Baseball_draft_picks

Forgot about A-Rod and Stras (duh). Well, at the very least David Price has a very good argument for being best pitcher #1 pick ever; probably he vs. Strasburg, I'd put my money on Price long-term.

Archived