O's Acquire Danny Valencia

Orioles0615

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Hardy was traded, and Machado moved to SS, I could see a very nice third base platoon with Valencia and Flaherty. Not predicting that will happen, but we really don't know until the music stops.

How about this? Hardy, Britton, Tillman, Strop, Schoop to AZ for Justin Upton and Trevor Bauer?

The Royals have no need for a SS, they are after pitching. Starting pitching to be more accurate.

- Slide Escobar to second.

- They're shopping Wil Myers for a top pitcher.

- It's nice for a rotation to have a top closer.

- It's hard to say what the Royals are doing with any certainty, but it sounds like they are trying to assemble a competitive team for 2013.

Is it Valencia's .257 career ML AVG or 5.8% career ML walk rate that gives him these "above average on base capabilities?"

No, it's his lifetime .831 OPS against lefties (vs. .625 against righties). In 326 PA against lefties, he's hit .316, OBP .359, and SLG .472. Against righties, in 765 PA, its .232 AVE, .271 OBP, .355 SLG. A natural candidate for platooning or as a backup who comes in primarily against lefties.

No, it's his lifetime .831 OPS against lefties (vs. .625 against righties). In 326 PA against lefties, he's hit .316, OBP .359, and SLG .472. Against righties, in 765 PA, its .232 AVE, .271 OBP, .355 SLG. A natural candidate for platooning or as a backup who comes in primarily against lefties.

Already addressed. Platoon splits don't translate to on-base skills. Just a funny quote. As he gets more than 300-some PAs in the majors against LHP let's see if that .345 BABIP regresses and his 6%ish walk rate stands naked.

Already addressed. Platoon splits don't translate to on-base skills. Just a funny quote. As he gets more than 300-some PAs in the majors against LHP let's see if that .345 BABIP regresses and his 6%ish walk rate stands naked.

You quoted his weak stats and sarcastically asked if that's what gave him "above average on base capabilities." I quoted his stronger stats against lefties. Will they hold up? We'll see, but that's likely the source of interest in him, not his overall batting average and walk rate against both righties and lefties. He had a .345 OBP in six years in the minors (.804 OPS), with a slightly higher 7.5% walk rate. (Don't see splits listed for the minors from baseball reference, but I'm guessing he had much better stats against lefties.) Plus, of course, they may believe he will improve overall as a hitter - that's what scouting is all about. Seems to have worked with McClouth.

How many teams are doing that?

Who are they getting?

Sometimes I think the OH should just close down between the week after the Orioles' season ends and the end of the winter meetings. There is always so much hand-wringing about why we haven't done anything yet, when 24-25 of the other 29 teams haven't done anything either, and every little quote or rumor is blown way out of proportion because there's nothing else to do but speculate. It's truly the worst 6-8 weeks of the calendar when it comes to being on this board.

Sometimes I think the OH should just close down between the week after the Orioles' season ends and the end of the winter meetings. There is always so much hand-wringing about why we haven't done anything yet, when 24-25 of the other 29 teams haven't done anything either, and every little quote or rumor is blown way out of proportion because there's nothing else to do but speculate. It's truly the worst 6-8 weeks of the calendar when it comes to being on this board.

It is. But a poster sent me a link to this. Everyone should read it and be happy for a few minutes.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/11/duquette-on-bundy-gausman-they-have-serious-talent.html

"I believe both of them have the skill and ability to contribute to the big league team next year," Duquette said. "They are on a good track. They both got to Double-A this year, and even though it was for a limited time, they both did well there. They have the talent. They have serious talent. They have the talent and skills to be first division major league starting pitchers. Both of them. They are going to be good, both of them."

Archived