Pedro Strop's hat

OFFNY

For all you crooked hat lovers and defenders, why dont you put your sport jacket on with the buttons and opening in the back?

Or maybe wear your shirt with the buttons on the back and your tie on the back?

Maybe put your pants on with the zipper in the back so you have easy access to your crack?

Make a personal expression in fashion. There would be absolutely nothing wrong with that! It makes no difference how the clothing item is designed to be worn. There would be nothing ridiculous about it if you decided to wear all your clothes on backwards, would it?

You and atomic might make a little more headway with your arguments if you didn't equate one guy wearing his hat 5 degrees off true center with literally dressing like some kind of nut on Halloween while trying to play baseball. Why did you stop with merely a crazy analogy? Why not go all the way to certifiably insane? Why not have your backwards clothes on fire, with jaguars biting you all over at the same time? Or high-powered lasers attached to your crooked hat, and razor sharp horns mounted on your arms?

You lose all credibility when one guy wearing his hat a little askew is THE SAME THING AS THE END OF HUMANITY AS WE KNOW IT.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As indicated by my vintage baseball cards, it is now confirmed that this horrid modern epidemic of "ghetto hat wearing" originated in the slums of the Dominican Republic. It's refreshing to know that this travesty did not originate with legions of turn-of-the-century baseball players including Hall of Famers Jim Bottomley, Frank Chance, Ernie Lombardi and others. They had FAR too much respect for the game and the big league dress code.

This is the only post in this argument that matters. Why aren't any of the fogeys responding to it? You guys realize Orioles1954 is presenting you the "traditions of the game" you're trying to defend on a silver platter and you're just ignoring them?

Tony, Scottie, Weams, Paul, SBauer:

It may be too much work, but is there any way that we can take all of the posts in regard to Strop's hat and put it in a separate thread entitled "Pedro Strop's Hat," and then we can subsequently continue with Strop's pitching in this thread ???

Just a suggestion. :)

I always hated that Bottomley character.

He just wants to look like a thug.

Also, I think that instead of making Strop straighten his hat, they should make all the other players tilt theirs. Any variance of more than 2 degrees should be punished with not less than a $10k fine.

How many CEO's do you see wearing crooked tilted ball caps? There is a reason for that. How you present yourself matters. And it matters to far more people than just me.

You can't compare the two because most CEOs aren't required to wear baseball caps. If they were, you'd see a couple that wear them slightly tilted.

You can't compare the two because most CEOs aren't required to wear baseball caps. If they were, you'd see a couple that wear them slightly tilted.

That's why ballplayers, like all gentlemen, should be required to wear fedoras. Except in domes. Hats worn inside are an affront to our dignity, and a slippery slope towards chaos and thuggery.

This is the only post in this argument that matters. Why aren't any of the fogeys responding to it? You guys realize Orioles1954 is presenting you the "traditions of the game" you're trying to defend on a silver platter and you're just ignoring them?

Are we to assume that what is pictured on a baseball card is what was done on the field of play? Posing for a card picture = practice on the field? We know for sure hats were worn back then like thugs wear them now?

Maybe there was a reason for the change to wearing a hat with the bill in its proper place, if they were crooked hat wearers back then - you know prior to our evolving to a better place from our ancestors.

What did a crooked hat symbolize back then? Was it associated with the same thing it is today in our present society? Was it viewed by decent and successful people as foolish, ridiculous and something only the riff raff would do? Do we have historical evidence that the crooked hats wearers also tried to wear their hats so as to identify themselves with people who couldnt figure out how to wear their britches? Was it fashinable to show ones skid marked boxers as well?

Man, I really don't like the way Strop wears his cap, but after reading some of the posts in this thread, I'm starting to think its not such a big deal anymore and maybe some people need to lighten up! Wow!

Like it or don't, it's a personal preference. To say that him wearing his hat that way is what's wrong with society is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

Like it or don't, it's a personal preference. To say that him wearing his hat that way is what's wrong with society is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

Which is why I said I'm starting to think its not such a big deal.

Are we to assume that what is pictured on a baseball card is what was done on the field of play? Posing for a card picture = practice on the field? We know for sure hats were worn back then like thugs wear them now?

Maybe there was a reason for the change to wearing a hat with the bill in its proper place, if they were crooked hat wearers back then - you know prior to our evolving to a better place from our ancestors.

What did a crooked hat symbolize back then? Was it associated with the same thing it is today in our present society? Was it viewed by decent and successful people as foolish, ridiculous and something only the riff raff would do? Do we have historical evidence that the crooked hats wearers also tried to wear their hats so as to identify themselves with people who couldnt figure out how to wear their britches? Was it fashinable to show ones skid marked boxers as well?

Bill and Ted got in their phone booth and went back to 1911 to tell them to wear their hats crooked just to spite the bitter old fogeys of today. Good to see it worked. Righteous!

Bill and Ted got in their phone booth and went back to 1911 to tell them to wear their hats crooked just to spite the bitter old fogeys of today. Good to see it worked. Righteous!

Yep it worked.

Dodge, deflect, evade, ignore . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . don't deal with it. :laughlol:

I am disgusted by all of the blatant classism being tossed around on this thread without shame. It is almost as repulsive to me as someone who is overtly racist.

I'll state the same thing I would tell my five year old kid if I had one: POOR PEOPLE DESERVE THE SAME RESPECT AS ANYONE ELSE. VIOLENT BEHAVIOR CAN BE A PART OF ANY CULTURE AND DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY MANIFEST ITSELF FROM INDIVIDUALS WHO COME FROM UNDERCLASS SITUATIONS. PEOPLE THAT COME FROM LESS ECONOMICALLY FORTUNATE PLACES THAN YOU ARE NOT INHERENTLY EVIL OR DESTRUCTIVE. STYLISTIC SENSIBILITIES ARRIVING FROM CULTURES OTHER THAN ONES YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH ARE JUST AS WORTHY OF EXPRESSION AS YOUR OWN.

Archived