Grantland Front Page Article - Jonah Keri on Orioles, revenue factors, and the Quest for Greatness

furryburres

I think the team went overslot a fair amount in the draft starting with the MacPhail era.

They spent adequately, for their draft position. They did not, however, make any sort of real move to increase spending in a way that could have made a real difference. The only time they really spent for overslots was giving Jake a million (5th round) in a draft in which they had traded away their second and third round picks for relief pitchers and in 2009 where they went cheap on the first round pick.

And of course we know what a joke the Latin American spending is. Good old AM "I don't like the Buscone system".

They could have used the MASN money to drop a couple million a season into both the draft and Latin America. They could have really flexed some muscle.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you know what it costs to start up a business like MASN? In first three years the Nats ratings were just awful. I am guessing there was nothing to spend.

MLB gave them start-up money.

Forced subscription rates makes ratings irrelevant.

MASN even dragged their feet with HD and show substantially fewer ST games then other networks.

I would be the first one to scream at Angelos for not spending money. While my buddy Scott keeps yelling at me to lay off Angelos and his vault. :)

But, they had to spend a good chunk of change on Sarasota.

So in order to be fair, and give credit where its due.

They did, after making the players (particularly the minor leaugers) suffer with garbage facilities for decades before finally making a deal.

Another owner might have went ahead and got something done because it was necessary, Peter refused to move until the deal was right.

MLB gave them start-up money.

Forced subscription rates makes ratings irrelevant.

MASN even dragged their feet with HD and show substantially fewer ST games then other networks.

5.4 million subscribers x $2.14 a month x 12 months a year = 138.672 Million a year.

138.672 million - 29 million to the Orioles - 29 million to the Nationals = 80 million dollars a year in revenue to run the network for a year.

They also run the MASNSports.com site. And have employees all over the place. And then they pay taxes and the Nationals get a share.

5.4 million subscribers x $2.14 a month x 12 months a year = 138.672 Million a year.

138.672 million - 29 million to the Orioles - 29 million to the Nationals = 80 million dollars a year in revenue to run the network for a year.

They also run the MASNSports.com site. And have employees all over the place. And then they pay taxes and the Nationals get a share.

Does any of that account for advertising revenue?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette's a REALLY sharp GM RT <a href="https://twitter.com/hubedougy">@hubedougy</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Me">@me</a> Duquette seems to know how to play his hand, but inaction w/o big ext/trades must wear on him</p>— Jonah Keri (@jonahkeri) <a href="

">February 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A couple small mistakes in the details, but overall a very good read, and yet another place where DD says the payroll will be north of $100MM by Opening Day.

Most interesting is the revelation that fear of a ruling against the Orioles in the MASN dispute is a major reason why they've been reluctant to put much of that money back into the team.

Even if MLB is stupid enough to renege on their agreement with Angelos (forcing him to pay more to the Nats than was agreed upon) he will still own them in court over it. A court case would just drag out the process. MLB needs to man up, stop screwing with Angelos, the Orioles, and most importantly Orioles fans and tell the Nats to deal with the contract they agreed to, to ever move into DC in the first place. If this is true, we as a fan base should take offense to the whole situation.

I am tired of people defending not spending money and showing good faith to the city of Baltimore and its fans. People can spout as many reasons as they want as to "why they dont spend". The main reason that the "Angelos is cheap" threads persist is others defending him.

Law suits/ how to divide the pie? I am reasonable sure that at least 50% of that money belong to the Orioles piece of the pie. yet they are hoarding it all because they dont know the outcome of the lawsuits?

Even if MLB is stupid enough to renege on their agreement with Angelos (forcing him to pay more to the Nats than was agreed upon) he will still own them in court over it. A court case would just drag out the process. MLB needs to man up, stop screwing with Angelos, the Orioles, and most importantly Orioles fans and tell the Nats to deal with the contract they agreed to, to ever move into DC in the first place. If this is true, we as a fan base should take offense to the whole situation.

Why do you think I carry on about them even existing the way I do? ;)

I am tired of people defending not spending money and showing good faith to the city of Baltimore and its fans. People can spout as many reasons as they want as to "why they dont spend". The main reason that the "Angelos is cheap" threads persist is others defending him.

Law suits/ how to divide the pie? I am reasonable sure that at least 50% of that money belong to the Orioles piece of the pie. yet they are hoarding it all because they dont know the outcome of the lawsuits?

Wow! In what has to be a huge legal entanglement involving the MLB, BAL, and the Gnats and you have solved it to the point of being reasonably sure. Brilliant! You should open your own law firm. :rolleyestf:

Wow! In what has to be a huge legal entanglement involving the MLB, BAL, and the Gnats and you have solved it to the point of being reasonably sure. Brilliant! You should open your own law firm. :rolleyestf:

Tell me in what scenario do you see the Orioles as having to claim less than 50% of the profit?

Archived