Suk-min Yoon

Greg

He seems to be finding his groove.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>RHP Suk-min Yoon so far today for AAA Norfolk vs. SWB: 3 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, HR, 4 2B, 2 HBP. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Tides&src=hash">#Tides</a> trail 5-0, B3. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— David Hall (@DavidHallVP) <a href="
">May 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And people think you are a jinx.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>RHP Suk-min Yoon is chased with no outs and a man on 2nd in the 4th. So far: 3+ IP, 11 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 2 HR, 6 2B, 2 HBP. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— David Hall (@DavidHallVP) <a href="

">May 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

o

Yoon hit 2 batters in the first 2 innings.

9 OUTS: 4 Flyouts, 2 Strikeouts, 1 Groundout, 1 Pop-up, 1 Lineout

SUK-MIN YOON O (vs. AAA-Scranton, 5/04) *

IP:. 3 - PLUS

H:o 11 (2 Home Runs, 6 Doubles, 3 Singles)

R:O 8

BB: 0 *

SO: 2

Pitches: 69 (46 Strikes, 23 Balls)

2014 ERA: 7.46 (AAA-Norfolk)

* Yoon had 2 Hit Batsmen

PITCHES BY INNING

27 (17 Strikes, 10 Balls)

16 (10 Strikes, 61 Balls)

16 (12 Strikes, 41 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 31 Balls) *

* Yoon did not record any outs before departing in the 4th inning.

You weren't that generous with Wada last year, who by the way, has been lights out so far this year in AAA.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=493159

I am guessing he is hurt do to the drastic difference in results between his last four starts and this one. That of course combined with his recent injury history.

I also wasn't wrong about Wada, the Orioles received nothing for their money and, if you will remember, I didn't like the signing before he got hurt.

If Wada pitches well at the ML level for the Cubs, that doesn't change anything? Wada looks (by the numbers) a totally different pitcher than he was last year and more what you would expect from a pitcher with his track record in Japan. I don't think we ever saw the real Wada. The question is if the real Wada is better than you thought he was, isn't it?

As for Yoon, he's only had 6 starts. He got pounded in his first, was bad in his second. Third start he went 5.2 IP with 8 hits including a homer. 4th start was 5 IP with 8 hits, 2 walks (10 baserunners in 5 IP) and 0 ER, and 5th start was his best with 5 IP 3 hits, 2 walks. This start today was much like his first start of the year. If he's hurt he was probably damaged goods from the start.

We know he was hurt last year. It is part of the reason I expect nothing from him this year.

As for Wada, nice to see he is doing well in AAA. They don't seem to be in a rush to promote him despite having some holes in the rotation.

I don't think we ever saw the real Wada.

I've been on record on numerous occasions, dating back to last summer, that I was/had been hoping that we would bring Wada back on the (relative) cheap for another season, just in case that he still had not yet made it completely back from his surgery.

FROM AUGUST, 2013:

I believe that when Wada finished his 30-day rehab stint, he could have forced the Orioles to bring him up to the majors, but he agreed to continue pitching at AAA-Norfolk, because he knew that he wasn't ready and that he needed more time at that level to hone his game.

Because he was reasonable about that, I'm wondering if he would do something similar in regard to his option for 2014 if he is promoted to the Orioles this season, and pitches down the stretch. Knowing that he got $ 8 Million over the last 2 years for (as of right now) not throwing a pitch in the majors, perhaps he would play ball with the Orioles front office, and agree to sign for maybe $2 or $3 Million, instead of the $5 Million that his option stipulates that he would get.

Also, I think that he knows that the Orioles are a solid, young organization that has shown that last year's season was not a fluke, so perhaps that would factor into his decision on the matter.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/128768-Wada-s-Return-May-Be-Sooner-than-Expected-Showalter/page27?highlight=Tsuyoshi+Wada.+OFFNY

2 DAYS AGO:

I was hoping that we would be able to bring him back on the relative cheap ($1 or $2 Million) for one more year, since we already spent the $9 Million on him for the previous 2 years.

Since Wada had not pitched a single inning of major league ball in 2012 or 2013 and still got all of his money, I was hoping that perhaps we could negotiate with him, tell him that we still wanted him, but not for the $5 Million option.

Oh, well.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/140084-Tracking-Ex-Oriole-Thread/page19?highlight=Wada+bring+back+Wada+relative+cheap

o

0 walks over 5 innings.

Excellent strikes-to-balls ratio (52 Strikes, 20 Balls.)

15 OUTS: 9 Groundouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Strikeouts, 1 Popout

SUK-MIN YOON O (vs. AAA-Indianapolis, 5/09)

IP:. 5

H:o 5 (1 Home Run, 2 Doubles, 2 Singles)

R:O 3

BB: 0

SO: 2

Pitches: 72 (52 Strikes, 20 Balls)

2014 ERA: 7.12 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

81 (51 Strikes, 3 Balls)

18 (12 Strikes, 6 Balls)

10 (81 Strikes, 2 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

22 (18 Strikes, 4 Balls)

It's year two of the deal I am worried about.

The entire $5.75 mm is a relative drop in the bucket in the context of a $200+ mm payroll over a 2-year period. I don't like having wasted the money, but it still seems like a decent gamble that just isn't likely to pay off.

The entire $5.75 mm is a relative drop in the bucket in the context of a $200+ mm payroll over a 2-year period. I don't like having wasted the money, but it still seems like a decent gamble that just isn't likely to pay off.

Year one is for rehab and familiarity, so yes it is throwing money down a hole. I think there is a fair chance of him being a decent long man with a ceiling of league average starter in years two and three.

o

At one point, Yoon retired 13 out of 14 batters.

It was also the 2nd consecutive outing in which he did not walk a batter.

Also, Yoon actually recorded 18 outs, but only got credit for 5.67 innings pitched because when he struck out the final batter that he faced, he reached safely when the 3rd strike was dropped.

Finally, Yoon ceded 1 run in the 1st inning, put up 4 straight goose-eggs in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings, and gave a 3-run home run in the 6th.

18 OUTS: 5 Strikeouts, 5 Groundouts, 4 Flyouts, 3 Lineouts, 1 Popout

SUK-MIN YOON O (vs. AAA-Louisville, 5/14)

IP:. 5.67

H:o 6 (1 Home Run, 3 Doubles, 2 Singles)

R:O 4

BB: 0

SO: 5

Pitches: 95 (66 Strikes, 29 Balls)

2014 ERA: 7.00 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

13 (10 Strikes, 31 Balls)

17 (11 Strikes, 61 Balls)

17 (12 Strikes, 51 Balls)

12 (91 Strikes, 31 Balls)

91 (71 Strikes, 21 Balls)

27 (17 Strikes, 10 Balls) *

* Yoon recorded 3 outs in the 6th inning, but due to a dropped 3rd strikes, he was only credited with .67 innings pitched.

Archived