Duquette on MLB High Heat

33rdst

Just listened to a conversation between Chris Russo and DD on MLB Network. The conversation centered around Duquette's acquisition of HOF Pedro Martinez for the Expos and then for the the Red Sox. Eventually they got around to talking about the O's.

Russo: Dan you lost Markakis and Cruz to free agency. Should the Orioles fans be concerned about the franchise?

Dan: hahahahahah. No they shouldn't. We're returning the core of our team that won over 95 games last year. Machado, Weiters and Davis are coming back and we expect to have a very strong club. We've resigned Delmon Young who will get more at bats at DH now that Cruz is gone.

Russo: who was the greater loss, life long Oriole Markakis or Cruz who hit 40 home runs.

Dan: Well 40 home runs is 40 home runs no matter how you look at it. Cruz had a career year and played very well for us.

Duquette also repeated that he is high on Alverez and mentioned we are still trying to sign a free agent outfielder before spring training. No mention of Rasmus.

Russo: great job Dan.

Russo is a trip. Too funny.

Well, if it was a dig at Cruz, what was it for Markakis ;)

He didn't even mention him...which I didn't realize when I first read the quote. Kind of telling I suppose...maybe he's a little miffed that Nick left for $4 million (if we actually had a 4 year offer to him).

He didn't even mention him...which I didn't realize when I first read the quote. Kind of telling I suppose...maybe he's a little miffed that Nick left for $4 million (if we actually had a 4 year offer to him).

I am sure he sent Nick a get well card after his neck surgery.

I don't see how calling Cruz's year last year, a career year, is a subtle dig at Cruz. It's a fact. Everyone knows it, including Cruz.

A dig does not have to be untrue ;) I think he is very proud of the contract that Nelson was able to achieve off his make good. I think it reinforces Baltimore as a destination for those who wish to recreate that magic.

Archived