Baseball's oddest injuries

Camden_yardbird

This is an interesting pictoral on some of baseballs oddest injuries. Im sure Drungo knows of many others.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0802/mlb.strange.injuries/content.1.html

A few Orioles make an appearance, although all were not Orioles at the time of the injury.

Im sure the first one that comes to most peoples mind is Cordova losing to a tanning bed. It's included...

Adam Eaton: The right-hander wound up in an emergency room after stabbing himself in the gut while trying to open a DVD with a paring knife.

Shrink wrap is a menace that must be stopped. Nothing can ruin Christmas morning faster than spending hours picking at the corners of cellophane and those little annoying skinny labels that are keeping the case closed. This is what Congress should be spending time on.

That and clam-shell packaging.

Shrink wrap is a menace that must be stopped. Nothing can ruin Christmas morning faster than spending hours picking at the corners of cellophane and those little annoying skinny labels that are keeping the case closed. This is what Congress should be spending time on.

That and clam-shell packaging.

Find the sharp corner of say, a table, and drag the corner (the corner with the sticker that runs the length of the case) of the dvd/cd case across it and voila! You should be able to rip it off with your hands the rest of the way pretty easily. A linoleum counter top works best. That's my technique anyway and I can successfully open one in about 10 seconds. :)

Hey guys, how about Tony Saunders? That's pretty freakish that he broke his arm twice pitching. Surprised that didn't make the list; but it is SI so...

DVD's are easy. Take a really sharp knife, point it toward you, draw it across the packaging, and....stab yourself in the gut..I mean how do you even do that? Take a small sharp knife and run it around the groove of the dvd Voila.

I could understand that happing with clamshell packaging because that was created by the devil but not a dvd.

Thought of another one. Mo Vaughn down the stairs. It was so odd, except a an that large going down like that.

Cal gets hit in the nose by Roberto Hernandez during the picture at the allstar game? Roberto Hernandez almost became persona non grata in Maryland.

Not an "injury" exactly, but one of the first signs that there was something odd about the guy I'm writing my book about came in 1978 when the Astros Joaquin Andujar had to come out of a good game he was pitching due to a severe case of jock itch.

Not really an injury either, but George Brett had to come out of a World Series game because of pain from hemorrhoids. :eek:

There are 21 of them. When I went through I thought that they'd have Jeff Kent who, if I remember correctly, said he hurt his knee when he fell washing his truck. Then it came out that he actually hurt it in a motorcycle accident.

Actually broke his wrist - popping wheelies on a motorcycle!

My all time favorite is Steve Sparks (included in SI article). Tried to imitate motivational speaker ripping phone book in half - dislocated shoulder.

Hon mention: Glenn Davis (born again Christian) getting jaw broken trying to keep peace in bar fight. Later getting hit in head by ball during BP, falling down stairs and suffering concussion - WHILE IN DUGOUT TUNNEL. At least Schilling and Finley never panned out...

Archived