Reschedule Game/Series

Redskins Rick

Your idea is no more inappropriate than mine, nor did I say it was. I thought we were both just giving opinions.

As for the idea above of canceling the series, we cannot forget about the weekend series with Tampa, where things are likely to get "interesting" in the city again. The best choice in my opinion is to schedule one of our minor league parks for the next 4 games until we go on the road trip. We then don't return home again until May 11 and I would hope things have settled down by then.

Ditto for me, OFFNY. Just an exchange of (uninformed) opinions.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, that was my line of reasoning in suggesting R.F.K. Stadium.

Dump or not, it seats about 45,000 and change for baseball.

I'm sure that Bowie and Aberdeen have very nice stadiums, and it would probably be extremely cool to have the Orioles play a few games there ...... but the fact that Bowie seats only 10,000 and Aberdeen seats only 6,000 and change makes it (I believe) unlikely that the games will be moved there.

So in your world the RFK baseball stadium has sat there untouched since the Nats left 6 years ago. Are you serious?

o

For anyone suggesting moving the series to one of the minor league parks, the chances of that happening are less than a snowballs chance in hell. Even if attendance is expected to suffer from these events, they'd still draw more by having it at Camden Yards than they would at any of the minor league parks. The only one even remotely close in attendance is Norfolk, and that's not happening. Save for an exhibition, there's absolutely zero chance of this happening anywhere.
It's not about attendance. It's about providing a safe environment for the game. And unless something drastically changes, I don't see the area surrounding OPACY as being safe this week. The stadium itself should be fine once you're inside, but getting to and from will not be.

This is (obviously) a huge mess, with no easy solution.

I suspect that they are trying to work out an "everything in one package" deal, where they don't sacrifice the safety of the fans or the attendance (by playing the games in a 10,000-seat stadium.)

That may not be realistic right now, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if they postponed the entire series until a later date ...... and hope that things are settled down by the time the Rays series is scheduled to start on Friday evening.

I am not sure "moving" this game is as easy as it sounds. I believe the White Sox would have to approve, along with MLB and others (TV, Union???). I also wonder if the minor league fields are up to ML standards (this is not a put down, just a thought). Maybe the O's and Sox leaders will tour a minor league facility today to get a feel. I think they try to get a game in tomorrow at 1, be a home team at a DH in Chicago, and postpone the third game unless it is necessary at the season's conclusion.

o

This is (obviously) a huge mess, with no easy solution.

I suspect that they are trying to work out an "everything in one package" deal, where they don't sacrifice the safety of the fans or the attendance (by playing the games in a 10,000-seat stadium.)

That may not be realistic right now, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if they postponed the entire series until a later date ...... and hope that things are settled down by the time the Rays series is scheduled to start on Friday evening.

Friday afternoon is when they are supposed to announce the investigation findings. And no matter what they find I think people will try to riot.

Friday afternoon is when they are supposed to announce the investigation findings. And no matter what they find I think people will try to riot.

"Sir, the Private believes any answer he gives will be wrong and the Senior Drill Instructor will only beat him harder if he reverses himself, sir!"

There is no way that the MLB PA allows players to lose three games worth of stats. That's money on the table. With more coming out about the investigation on Friday I doubt they can play there this weekend. Manfred has his first crisis and he needs to step up and dictate a solution quickly.

Archived