Anyway you cut it, today's game is huge.

33rdst

Enough of the big picture chit chat, it's time to discuss the matter at hand, today's series finally against the Yankees. If we lose this one we're seven out headed to Tampa to face that pitching staff. At first blush it looks like a David and Goliath match up, and here's a hint, we ain't Goliath. With a winning effort, Ubaldo could earn a huge amount of respect from the fans and his team mates. Unfortunately, several Yankee batters hit him like a drum. Not worried? Well things get worse. Tanaka is on the mound for the bombers and he's been pretty good against us. Seven earned runs in three starts against us according to Roch. On paper looks like we're going to get swept. So we probably have a good chance to win.

I'd agree, it's pretty huge. The difference between 5 games out and 7 games out is quite significant, and I think the game has a lot of symbolic significance, as well. I won't give up on our chances if we lose, but our odds of making the playoffs will have taken a huge hit over the last three days if that happens.

I'm kind of glad the game is being played while I'm at work. I've been very frustrated the last two nights.

Looks like a huge mismatch but watch the Orioles win 10-1.

Ubaldo at home 5-1 2.06 ERA

road 2 4 4.34 ERA

April: 1.59 ERA

May : 4.34 ERA

June : 3.03 ERA

July : 4.32 ERA

Opponents batting .294 against him in June. Worst month was May when opponents batted .303

Good news.

Day 1.41 ERA

Night: 4.13 ERA

so the way baseball goes a two hit shutout for Ubaldo.

Looks like a huge mismatch but watch the Orioles win 10-1.

Ubaldo at home 5-1 2.06 ERA

road 2 4 4.34 ERA

April: 1.59 ERA

May : 4.34 ERA

June : 3.03 ERA

July : 4.32 ERA

Opponents batting .294 against him in June. Worst month was May when opponents batted .303

Good news.

Day 1.41 ERA

Night: 4.13 ERA

so the way baseball goes a two hit shutout for Ubaldo.

Well I guess no shutout. Got on the road Ubaldo. He has not really been that great since April.

Well, that's that.

I knew things were going to get tough, but I didn't believe it would be the Yankees in 2015 who pushed us out of contention. Yes, we have time to rebound, but things don't look good at all.

All we had to do was improve when we had the opportunity. We didn't, and now we're scrambling.

I wish DD had just did his job instead of relying upon a bunch of AAAA retreads and the hope that scrap heap guys would play above their heads. That's not a workable baseball philosophy - not for long-term contention.

MSK

Im one of Ubaldo's biggest fans, but in the last few outings he has been miserable to watch. I hoping he's not fighting an injury but he's God awful. The Orioles will now be swept in a series they had to have. Im looking at next year now. Id move our FA and bring up prospects and see what we have. Specifically Im talking about Christian Walker and Mychal Givens and maybe Mike Wright again. The season is a lost cause.

He's been U-Bad-O for two straight starts; prior to that he had been consistently good all season. I'm more worried that he just got out of rhythm with his mechanics over the ASB layoff.

Im one of Ubaldo's biggest fans, but in the last few outings he has been miserable to watch. I hoping he's not fighting an injury but he's God awful. The Orioles will now be swept in a series they had to have. Im looking at next year now. Id move our FA and bring up prospects and see what we have. Specifically Im talking about Christian Walker and Mychal Givens and maybe Mike Wright again. The season is a lost cause.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have the kind of help we need tucked away in the minors. We brought up the best we had....Gausman, Parmelee, Reimold, and they haven't performed. Walker, Wright and Givens won't help significantly, if at all. I don't think Alverez will either.

I honestly think we become sellers at the trade deadline and begin rebuilding for the next few years.

Since the season is so long I hate putting undue importance on three games, but we could've finished this series anywhere between 1 and 7 games out, and we hit the worst-case scenario. I think we're sellers now, although I don't count the team out of contention. Would just be smarter to get some parts for next year and beyond, if possible. It's not like we have too much to sell anyway, so we could retool a bit and still attempt to contend, just to see where the season takes us. But yeah this was a disastrous series.

This team did go 18-5 not long ago. Who knows what could happen.

Since the season is so long I hate putting undue importance on three games, but we could've finished this series anywhere between 1 and 7 games out, and we hit the worst-case scenario. I think we're sellers now, although I don't count the team out of contention. Would just be smarter to get some parts for next year and beyond, if possible. It's not like we have too much to sell anyway, so we could retool a bit and still attempt to contend, just to see where the season takes us. But yeah this was a disastrous series.

This team did go 18-5 not long ago. Who knows what could happen.

Agree. Also Tampa is not good. Then the Braves and Tigers.Orioles are bad on the road and good at home. So you never know. Ubaldos next two starts will be at home.

This was just a bad series. But I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. But I am pretty damn close to doing it. Doesn't seem like we have anyone in the minors or on our current team who could be the "Steve Pearce of 2014".

And the corner OF'ers are not our only concern on this team. We need consistent starting pitchers. Which we haven't seen for awhile now.

Archived