O's looking at Wade Miley (Acquired for Ariel Miranda)

ChipTait

I don't have time to do your research for you but there were numerous articles about PA being on the phone with Boras. I don't know how you missed it. Also articles citing that money for CD was not necessarily to be used elsewhere.

Here's a pretty clear-cut one: http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/01/peter-angelos-on-chris-davis-hes-an-exceptional-guy-plus-other-notes.html. I stand corrected.

Graduate school is how I missed it.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the Mariners are still in the wild card race.My scout friend thinks Miranda can be a back end starter.He thinks the Mariners wull tweak him a little and be a fourth or five starter.Other teams could have gotten Miley but no great interest in him.

It is the 9.4 million dollars Miley will make next year that scared off other teams.

But the Mariners are still in the wild card race.My scout friend thinks Miranda can be a back end starter.He thinks the Mariners wull tweak him a little and be a fourth or five starter.Other teams could have gotten Miley but no great interest in him.
It is the 9.4 million dollars Miley will make next year that scared off other teams.

I am the biggest Miranda fan here. I think he might pitch back of the rotation MLB at some point.

I think its $8.5 mil next year with a $12 mil club option or 500k buyout the following year. He has $2 mil left for this year. If he pitches to his career ERA of around 4, that is pretty reasonable for a starter, specially a left handed one in the current day market.

I think its $8.5 mil next year with a $12 mil club option or 500k buyout the following year. He has $2 mil left for this year. If he pitches to his career ERA of around 4, that is pretty reasonable for a starter, specially a left handed one in the current day market.

Baseball Reference has him down for 8.9 million next year. He has the 500k buyout for 2018 which the club has to pay whether he plays for them or not in 2018 so for me that is 9.4 million for 2017.

Baseball Reference has him down for 8.9 million next year. He has the 500k buyout for 2018 which the club has to pay whether he plays for them or not in 2018 so for me that is 9.4 million for 2017.

$8.75 million per Cots, the $8.9 million is spreading the $500K signing bonus through the entire contract, which matters for luxury tax purposes but doesn't affect how much the O's are paying him. He also has the $500K buyout on the $12M option.

Miley has shown to be an adequate major league back of the rotation guy. Certainly not great, but he has pitched lots of innings and has never been so bad that he has had to be demoted from the rotation a la Norris 2015 or Jimenez 2016.

That is certainly something we could have used all year.

So if you really believe Miranda can be that, where are your posts over the last few months suggesting he be brought up and put in the rotation?

For that matter, has anyone been suggesting that? I don't recall anyone. We can certainly debate Miley's quality. But he is clearly a viable major league starter. If anyone thought Miranda was that, why weren't they beating the drum on OH to bring him up and put him in the rotation?

If you go through my posts, I was advocating we call up Miranda. I actually liked his appearance against the Mariners and wished he'd get a few starts. But don't let that change your narrative.

If you go through my posts, I was advocating we call up Miranda. I actually liked his appearance against the Mariners and wished he'd get a few starts. But don't let that change your narrative.

OK I don't remember those posts. I'll take your word for it. If so, I retract my remarks and apologize.

I remember as we were struggling through Ubaldo starts, people would mention Gunkel, Lee, I even remember Hess and Sedlock getting mentioned. But i honestly don't recall any posts advocating Miranda come up as a starter. I remember him mentioned as a possible LH reliever, which he actually did briefly. I remember saying myself that we might as well bring him up, because if he wasn't ready to pitch in the majors he likely never would be. But only as a reliever.

I think he can be a decent enough #5. He was the very little major league starting depth that we had. But I get it if the O's don't think he's ready this year.

It's not like I'm married to Miranda or think he'll be an ace. But he has good stuff, is a lefty and cheap.

It is that type of crack decision making that has made the Mariners the championship organization that they are.

Really good day to be an O's fan!

I think this is a solid under the radar move.

If we had given up a young prospect id be a little less receptive but Miranda is a 27 year old AAAA player.

Could he be a solid ML'er? Maybe. But Miley is a much more certain contributor and that's really what we need right now, a solid innings eater so the pen doesn't keep getting burnt after 5 inning starts.

Archived