Matusz is happy to be an Oriole

Nice story. :)

“It doesn't feel real yet. It definitely doesn't feel real. I'm excited. I'm excited to get started. The Orioles have a great organization and I'm looking forward to getting out there as soon as possible and getting to the big leagues.”
Matusz said he has never been to Baltimore's Camden Yards. Most high draft picks are brought in by the teams that select them, so he should get a look by the end of the week.

“I've heard the ballpark is unreal,” said Matusz. “I'm excited to go there and check it out.”

The pitcher then excused himself and headed out with several teammates into the Mission Valley mall to look for Orioles caps.

Gotta love the last part. :D

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/20080605-1240-bn05matusz.html

Besides the great numbers he has put up throughout his career, I have heard nothing but great things about his character and makeup. A few years from now I think we'll all be very, very happy with this pick.

Yeah, he's starting to grow on me too. Though Smoak was my preference, Matusz is a nice consolation prize.

I have a good feeling about him. Good pick, glad to have Matusz. What a stable we will have when he comes to form. Hopefully a quick sign, lets get him started in Fred. Fellas, we got a good one here, forget about Smoak, cause nothing can be done now.

p.s. look at Chaoslex's signature

Gotta love the last part. :D

Actually, the part I love is

"I'm looking forward to getting out there as soon as possible and getting to the big leagues.”

Sounds like we won't be biting our nails on August 15 at midnight this year. Instead we can get Matusz in here, maybe get him to Frederick, and hopefully position him to start 2009 in Bowie. He could be one of our fastest guys to reach the majors in many years.

Sounds like we won't be biting our nails on August 15 at midnight this year. Instead we can get Matusz in here, maybe get him to Frederick, and hopefully position him to start 2009 in Bowie. He could be one of our fastest guys to reach the majors in many years.

Yep. We gotta get him signed quick like a bunny. Start in Fred. and hold our breath for great things. Can't say it more than I already have. I like the pick.

Another interesting piece http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/20080605-9999-1s5mlbdraft.html

“He's got that prototypical big-league body,” Hill said. “He's got velocity. He's got secondary pitches. . . . He could get major league hitters out right now. He could be a starter in the major leagues today.”

The 6-foot-5, 200-pound Matusz has four quality pitches – fastball, curve, slider, change-up – but two in particular get the most attention.

Matusz's fastball has touched 96 mph and usually is clocked between 91 and 93 mph. He locates it so well that many hitters are frozen at the plate. He thaws them with a change-up that makes hitters look so silly it seems they've swung before the ball has left his hand.

Glad he's on our side.:2yay-thumb:

In his write up on the first round Keith Law predicted that he'd be the first non-reliever in the Majors. Sounds like what he needs most is to be challenged and he thinks it needs to be double A or higher.

How many innings should he be allowed to throw this year if we do sign him quickly?

50-60.

I just want to see what the Orioles idea of moving him quickly through the system is considering they said the same thing about Arrieta and he is still in Frederick.

He only pitched 105IP this year so far so getting up to 160 should be fine. He threw 123 IP last year I think.

He also wasn't that hard pressed in terms of pitch counts this year. I'd probably let him get about 30-40 innings at Aberdeen or Lo/Hi A just to get adjusted to the pros. Then send him for another 15-20 in the AFL. Start him out at Bowie next year.

Archived