Money for Matusz?

Costanzo, Reimold, Spoone, Hernandez, and Bergesen are five guys that need to be protected this offseason.

We jettison Millar and Payton as free agents. Eider Torres and Fredy Deza surely get jettisoned. Then between Freddie Bynum, Oscar Salazar, Brandon Fahey, Scott Moore, and Jim Hoey can be removed if need be.

There is plenty of room to move off pieces that arent contributing.

I don't think Hoey should be in consideration for being DFAed. I would include Fiorentino on the list as a DFA candidate because he is out of options next year.

That 40 man roster spot is worth at least a million dollars to the O's:

• If Millar or Payton is traded for a prospect, then that won't open a spot.
  • If any veterans are traded for multiple prospects, it will cost spots.

With this many prospects (especially pitchers, for whom projections are less certain) choosing which to keep, which to trade, and which to piss away for nothing will be a challenge; having more time to let them develop before making the call will be very valuable. With the information available now I don't see how anyone can be sure that, say, keeping Costanzo and dumping Moore or keeping McCrory and dumping Hoey is the right move; much better to let them keep playing and decide later.

I don't think Hoey should be in consideration for being DFAed. I would include Fiorentino on the list as a DFA candidate because he is out of options next year.

I meant to include Fiorentino.

I only include Hoey because he missed the season with an injury and would be easier to pass through waivers. Granted he is at the bottom of the list of DFA'able!

Mind if I ask why we are so confident that Hoey will at some point be a solid reliever for us? At 24 years old, he pitched a decent sample size for the big league club and got knocked around to the tune of a 7.50 ERA in 25 innings over 23 appearances. He had 18 Ks and 18 BBs. Now he is injured and out for the season and won't be available until he's 26, coming off arm injury and not pitching for a season and not exactly doing all that great last time he did throw.

His numbers in the minors are great, but I'd rather protect lower level prospects with more upside than Hoey. I can't see a situation where we couldn't pick up a Rule 5 guy the same caliber as Hoey if we were to lose him. Hard throwing right handed relievers are fairly common.

Mind if I ask why we are so confident that Hoey will at some point be a solid reliever for us? At 24 years old, he pitched a decent sample size for the big league club and got knocked around to the tune of a 7.50 ERA in 25 innings over 23 appearances. He had 18 Ks and 18 BBs. Now he is injured and out for the season and won't be available until he's 26, coming off arm injury and not pitching for a season and not exactly doing all that great last time he did throw.

His numbers in the minors are great, but I'd rather protect lower level prospects with more upside than Hoey. I can't see a situation where we couldn't pick up a Rule 5 guy the same caliber as Hoey if we were to lose him. Hard throwing right handed relievers are fairly common.

I am not convinced he will be a solid reliever for, but I think it would take a serious roster crunch before we would give up on him without finding out for sure that he can't be a solid ML middle reliever. I just believe that there are a lot of guys before him who could be removed from the 40 man before him if we had a roster crunch. I do however not know how serious his injury is. That could make this entire discussion irrelevant.

Costanzo, Reimold, Spoone, Hernandez, and Bergesen are five guys that need to be protected this offseason.

We jettison Millar and Payton as free agents. Eider Torres and Fredy Deza surely get jettisoned. Then between Freddie Bynum, Oscar Salazar, Brandon Fahey, Scott Moore, and Jim Hoey can be removed if need be.

There is plenty of room to move off pieces that arent contributing.

I'm sure the O's will protect Jim Hoey before they will protect Mike Costanzo. Costanzo isn't showing that he's much of a prospect at AAA this year, although I'd certainly protect him before I'd protect Torres or Deza, and probably Bynum as well. I'd like to see Salazar get more opportunities as a bench player at the major league level for the rest of the season before deciding on him.

I think Tony said that he's thrown a lot this year, and the O's may not be inclined to pitch him a lot even if they sign him in time to do so. What you could see is their signing him, sending him to the minor league camp to get his arm back in shape and then letting him play in Az. this fall as Arietta did.

I think Tony said that he's thrown a lot this year, and the O's may not be inclined to pitch him a lot even if they sign him in time to do so. What you could see is their signing him, sending him to the minor league camp to get his arm back in shape and then letting him play in Az. this fall as Arietta did.

Possible. He threw more innings last year than this year though. I feel like they aren't in any rush because they already have a plan of how they would like to use him this year, either some short season and the Fall League, or a couple innings here, a couple innings there and assess where to play him next spring. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go another 40-50 innings, but jumping from 120IP last year to 180ish (if he had signed 2 weeks ago) seems way too much for no reason.

Archived