MLB and Union talk major rule changes

Diehard_O's_Fan

On 2/8/2019 at 11:33 PM, Beef Supreme said:

I'm trying to figure out why you think that pitchers can automatically adjust to pitching off of a new mound without at least three warmup pitches. Maybe it's just something that is not in your personal experience, but warming up on one mound and then pitching from a different mound is a significant adjustment to make. I guarantee that first-pitch balls by mid-inning relievers would explode. If first pitches by mid-inning relievers have been strikes 60% of the time, I would be willing to wager that abolishing warmup pitches would result in more first-pitch balls than strikes. 

Decrease in effectiveness would be a feature of this rule change, not a bug, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2019 at 10:49 PM, Beef Supreme said:

No, Coca-Cola switched from cane sugar to high-fructose corn syrup in the late 1970s, long before the introduction of "new Coke" in 1985. The U.S. government was subsidizing GMO corn, making HFCS cheaper than cane sugar. Additionally, legislation had been passed in the mid-1970's mandating that domestically grown sweetener comprise @ 50% of total sweetener sold.

Coca-Cola was trying to make its product taste more like Pepsi with the change of its formula to "new Coke" in an attempt to steal market share. What they failed to imagine was that many of its customers disliked the taste of Pepsi.

You are wrong.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Mark Viviano suggested yesterday that if you’re only going to use a pitcher for one batter, then both he and the next guy should come in from the bullpen at the same time and the second pitcher should just wait in the dugout until the first pitcher pitches to his batter.    

On 2/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, Beef Supreme said:

Why would you want that? Why would anyone want that?

I’d see it as a way of making frequent, mid-inning pitcher substitutions somewhat less appealing for managers, in addition to speeding up the game in and of itself. Basically, it might go a significant way toward doing what the proposed three-batter-minimum would accomplish.

• Upvote 2

I was just named baseball dictator.  These are my changes.

Contract two teams.  Have four divisions of seven teams again.  

159 games.  9 games against teams in your league (9x13=117).  6 games against one division from the other league (6x7=42). 159 games.  Alternate other league's opponents each year.  

Expand rosters by two.

Pitchers can't pitch in back to back games.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:25 AM, Tx Oriole said:

I try to buy Coke made in Mexico. They use real sugar not the artificial sweetener crap. Also try to buy foods that don't use GMOs if I can.

I dont think buying come from Mexico is going to help you.  It is still a ton of processed sugars.

31 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I was just named baseball dictator.  These are my changes.

Contract two teams.  Have four divisions of seven teams again.  

159 games.  9 games against teams in your league (9x13=117).  6 games against one division from the other league (6x7=42). 159 games.  Alternate other league's opponents each year.  

Expand rosters by two.

Who do you cut?

43 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Yankees and Red Sox.

Probably the two Florida teams.  It's tough.  Possibly Oakland.

I have an Out of the Park game where the Yanks moved to Indianapolis with no direct intervention from me.  I did put a bunch of minor league teams around NYC and a 3rd MLB has a team in Brooklyn.  But I didn't move them, it was all the AI.  That made me very happy.

I could never tell a fanbase that I was contracting their team.  Only expansion.  I think contraction stems from greed and a lack of imagination.  MLB brings in almost $10 billion a year.  That's over $300M in revenues each, they should be able to figure out how to make that work.  I'd guess they could figure out $150M a team.  The Atlantic League is viable and they probably bring in a couple $million a team.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mark Viviano suggested yesterday that if you’re only going to use a pitcher for one batter, then both he and the next guy should come in from the bullpen at the same time and the second pitcher should just wait in the dugout until the first pitcher pitches to his batter.    

Or even better, if you use a pitcher for just one batter you have to put him on the injured list for 15 days because he's supposed to pitch for at least three. 

Alternately, you can use your LOOGY all you want in the context of a game where you only get three pitchers per nine innings, total.

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

Why would you want this, is this a problem?  And if you expanded rosters by two and forbid pitchers from pitching in back-to-back games wouldn't that mean teams would almost automatically use the extra spots for short relievers to make up for the back-to-back games rule?  We'd have 27-man rosters with 14-16 pitchers.  Closers would end up throwing 40-50 games, 40-50 innings, and each team would need a 2nd closer.  I guess it might keep relievers' salaries down a little, although setup guys might now get 15 saves and demand more money.

39 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Why would you want this, is this a problem?  And if you expanded rosters by two and forbid pitchers from pitching in back-to-back games wouldn't that mean teams would almost automatically use the extra spots for short relievers to make up for the back-to-back games rule?  We'd have 27-man rosters with 14-16 pitchers.  Closers would end up throwing 40-50 games, 40-50 innings, and each team would need a 2nd closer.  I guess it might keep relievers' salaries down a little, although setup guys might now get 15 saves and demand more money.

It's my idea to bring in more late inning strategy for managers while balancing out the negative impact of the shift against hitters.

You want to bring in a one-out lefty guy?  That's fine, but now you've burned him for the next game.

Up three runs heading into the 9th with the bottom of the order coming up?  Want to automatically push the closer button and bring in Jansen?  Okay, he's unavailable for  the next game.

ir would prevent bullpen arms from getting called upon or warmed up three nights + in a row.

The idea of the extra roster spots was to keep the same amount of jobs after contraction (net +6) and give more roster construction flexibility to compensate for the rule.

8 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

It's my idea to bring in more late inning strategy for managers while balancing out the negative impact of the shift against hitters.

You want to bring in a one-out lefty guy?  That's fine, but now you've burned him for the next game.

Up three runs heading into the 9th with the bottom of the order coming up?  Want to automatically push the closer button and bring in Jansen?  Okay, he's unavailable for  the next game.

ir would prevent bullpen arms from getting called upon or warmed up three nights + in a row.

The idea of the extra roster spots was to keep the same amount of jobs after contraction (net +6) and give more roster construction flexibility to compensate for the rule.

Sounds to me like you just want more offense.