Will this weekend be the last time we see Chris Davis in Baltimore?

Sanfran327

Is this Chris Davis' Final Weekend as an Oriole?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Is this Chris Davis' Final Weekend as an Oriole?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

That's not what Gary said.  He said, "Maybe it's the last one at home, maybe it isn't."  He was referring to Orioles home runs this season, not Chris Davis.

Thorne was implying that it could be Davis's last home run, which is exactly why McDonald tried to walk it back by recasting what he said as referring to the homer as the possible game-winner, which doesn't line up at all with what Thorne literally said. But even if we think Thorne's statement is ambiguous, the beat reporter Joe Trezza's is not:

Rounding the bases Sunday afternoon, Chris Davis allowed himself to wonder whether it would be the final time.

And then there's Davis himself, in the same article:

And for Davis, a flashback to 2015. An impending free agent at the time, Davis homered twice in the Orioles’ final home game of that season not knowing what the offseason would bring.

“I remember right before I crossed home plate looking up into the stands thinking, ‘Is this the last time I’m going to be with this team?’” Davis said. “Today was kind of a similar thing.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/chris-davis-home-run-orioles-home-finale

Caveat: Further down in the same piece, Elias says "Yes" Davis will be in ST 2020, but only after convoluted talk about the situation he "inherited" and is forced to work with (he makes it sounds like a pile of poop!):

t's one of the many things that we stepped into and inherited and are working on.

With the way the ball is flying out the park you really just have to make contact nowadays. Davis doesn’t need to hit balls onto the flag court or oppo shots to the bullpens, he needs to have some bat speed. With that being said, I think he’s 100% back in ST. He’s not blocking anyone yet, but getting close. Davis needs to do something drastic and try and gain some bat speed. Maybe that means cutting some bulk, and leaning up. I don’t doubt that he’s trying, it’s just whatever he’s been doing has failed for 3 years now. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Davis needs to do something drastic and try and gain some bat speed. Maybe that means cutting some bulk, and leaning up. I don’t doubt that he’s trying, it’s just whatever he’s been doing has failed for 3 years now. 

He is extremely lean. His clothes hang on him. 

Never fear, @TonySoprano!!! Moose Milligan is here.

Connolly, from THE ATHLETIC.

Davis wouldn’t say whether he knew what Elias told the media about his situation before Sunday’s game. But he did say he and Elias talk — and that he’s never thought about not coming back.

“I just always pictured myself being here. I have three years left after this year. Mike and I have sat down a few times this year and kind of talked about what he expects, what I expect, what we both want to see,” Davis said. “And I feel like we’ve got a good plan in place. I’ve already started doing a lot of things we talked about, and I didn’t want to waste any time, and I’m gonna carry it right into the offseason.”

We’ve heard that before. And the results haven’t followed. Davis, smartly, wasn’t going to explain to the media what those changes would be.

Still, there are a couple of important takeaways here.

Davis is committed to coming back to the Orioles in 2020. Maybe you thought some type of agreement would be worked out in the offseason. That doesn’t appear to be the case.

And Elias’ rope for Davis seems to reach beyond 2019, which is a bit of a surprise given that Elias hasn’t hesitated to put his stamp on most other parts of this organization. Which, of course, lends to easy speculation that the Davis situation is completely out of Elias’ hands. That getting out from under that deal is a decision that can be made only by ownership.

Listening to Davis you would think he was in a mild two month slump, not the worst hitter in ML history for the past two years.

He absolutely squared up that 89 mph fastball yesterday and it barely got out. He has no bat speed.

If I catch a drive absolutely perfect I can still carry 250-260, but that doesn't change that my average carry is 210-220.

Can someone please stop this (hoping it's you Mike Elias, or better the Angelos brothers).

13 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Listening to Davis you would think he was in a mild two month slump, not the worst hitter in ML history for the past two years.

He absolutely squared up that 89 mph fastball yesterday and it barely got out. He has no bat speed.

If I catch a drive absolutely perfect I can still carry 250-260, but that doesn't change that my average carry is 210-220.

Can someone please stop this (hoping it's you Mike Elias, or better the Angelos brothers).

Why would the Angleos brothers have anything to do with this? They have nothing to do with player evaluation. Do they?

I'm ready for this nightmare to end.

Here's my dark take. It's hard for me to believe that Chris Davis wasn't doing some kind of performance enhancing substance in order to get his big contract. If he stopped doing the enhancer, whatever it was, then he's just stealing at this point. He's made enough money off the contract. Just come to some sort of agreement with club. 

Yes. No one likes to suck at their job. And if it were me, I would quit and do something else. 

I'm just kind of pissed at Davis. No, I was not complaining when he was putting up Oriole record numbers. But the whole thing sucks and I think he sucks. And that's it. 

28 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Here's my dark take. It's hard for me to believe that Chris Davis wasn't doing some kind of performance enhancing substance in order to get his big contract. If he stopped doing the enhancer, whatever it was, then he's just stealing at this point. He's made enough money off the contract. Just come to some sort of agreement with club. 

Yes. No one likes to suck at their job. And if it were me, I would quit and do something else. 

I'm just kind of pissed at Davis. No, I was not complaining when he was putting up Oriole record numbers. But the whole thing sucks and I think he sucks. And that's it. 

I am pretty sure Chris Davis was on steroids or HGH or something similar and stopped taking it once he got his huge contract. Didn't want to take the risk of getting caught and suspended.

I think he had a good plan to get super rich and I don't see why he would quit now that he has achieved his goal. 

49 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Chris Davis since signing the big contract
515G, 1,787 AB  .198/.293/383/.676  91 HR, 229 RBI, 740 strikeouts

That actually looks better than it is. If you listed since July of 2017 it would look much worse.  

33 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

The only way he would lose any of his guaranteed contract would be for him to test positive for any banned substance again. He already tested positive twice. Something very few players have done during punishable years. So he has to be very careful. He would lose his millions. 

Archived