MLB dot com: Hanser Alberto is Orioles biggest surprise

BohKnowsBmore

2 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

How do you figure?

We had an empty farm system with no core players at the MLB level. Them "stocking" the farm system is how you rebuild. Of course we're not going to be LAD handing out 500M  contracts, but we definitely aren't going to be TB/OAK that just let's every guy worth a pay day walk out the door if guys show they're worth it.

It is effectively a new ownership group in place.  We don't know how they will proceed.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It is effectively a new ownership group in place.  We don't know how they will proceed.

Yet you didn't respond to his initial post saying that they won't spend and will basically be a farm system for the bigger markets...

Interesting.

6 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Yet you didn't respond to his initial post saying that they won't spend and will basically be a farm system for the bigger markets...

Interesting.

Didn't notice the post.

However upon looking at his post I don't see where he says the O's will be a farm system for bigger markets.

13 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

How do you figure?

We had an empty farm system with no core players at the MLB level. Them "stocking" the farm system is how you rebuild. Of course we're not going to be LAD handing out 500M  contracts, but we definitely aren't going to be TB/OAK that just let's every guy worth a pay day walk out the door if guys show they're worth it.

Why would you not want to be Tampa Bay or Oakland? They are competitive now and  both have very good farm systems, Tampa Bays is outstanding.  Their future looks bright.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't notice the post.

However upon looking at his post I don't see where he says the O's will be a farm system for bigger markets.

...yet I get responded to almost immediately after posting? Eh...

Not paying anyone past age 30 means your not giving out extensions to worthwhile players. Most guys hit FA right around their 26-27+ year old seasons. They aren't going to be accepting a 2 year deal to stick around...

Either way, you don't know one way or another at this very moment sure, but based on the optics of all the moves they've done so far and reeling in a top exec with a bad public image makes me think Elias wanted to come here for a reason. I'm sure having a middle of the road payroll at the very least come the end of this rebuild was agreed to. Especially considering they're not even worrying about drafting arms and seem to be of the mindset to pay for them when the time comes.

3 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

Why would you not want to be Tampa Bay or Oakland? They are competitive now and  both have very good farm systems, Tampa Bays is outstanding.  Their future looks bright.

Nothing wrong with either, but imagine what they'd be if they paid some of their young studs while also doing that. 

For every TB/OAK there's a PIT that's in a similar situation that isn't great. Just first two small markets that don't have any payroll that came to mind. There's plenty of others who keep low payroll and are poorly run.

Just now, ISU94 said:

Not paying anyone past age 30 means your not giving out extensions to worthwhile players. Most guys hit FA right around their 26-27+ year old seasons. They aren't going to be accepting a 2 year deal to stick around...

Either way, you don't know one way or another at this very moment sure, but based on the optics of all the moves they've done so far and reeling in a top exec with a bad public image makes me think Elias wanted to come here for a reason. I'm sure having a middle of the road payroll at the very least come the end of this rebuild was agreed to. Especially considering they're not even worrying about drafting arms and seem to be of the mindset to pay for them when the time comes.

Nothing wrong with either, but imagine what they'd be if they paid some of their young studs while also doing that. 

For every TB/OAK there's a PIT that's in a similar situation that isn't great. Just first two small markets that don't have any payroll that came to mind. There's plenty of others who keep low payroll and are poorly run.

*Reeling in a top exec when your organization has a bad public imagine ownership wise*

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

I was looking at the forum when you posted and I wasn't when they posted.

Some folks might not believe this but I don't look at OH 24/7. 

With the way Elias is running things I don't see anyone hitting FA at 26.

2 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

I understand, but under the current bargaining agreement, you can delay bringing players up until they are 23 or 24 and keep them under control until they are 30 .  Economics dictate that the larger markets teams will have older guys under big contracts.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To be fair, the kind of guy that gets promoted at 19-20 isn’t in our system currently, and those guys get pushed to help competitive teams.

I still don’t think it’s fair to judge how Elias will act in the next two years by how he has acted so far. There’s certainly a world where the top 4 prospects are all up next year, though it’s unlikely.

5 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

I understand, but under the current bargaining agreement, you can delay bringing players up until they are 23 or 24 and keep them under control until they are 30 .  Economics dictate that the larger markets teams will have older guys under big contracts.

Phenoms/stud prospects are going to push the envelope. If we were in a competitive scene/trying to compete do you think we're going to keep guys down if they can help us just to delay the clock? Right now sure, but when this rebuild ends? I highly doubt that.

I'm not saying we're paying everybody, but I definitely don't agree that anyone that comes through our team is gone once FA time hits. They'll just pick and choose between guys that they value higher.

1 minute ago, survivedc said:

To be fair, the kind of guy that gets promoted at 19-20 isn’t in our system currently, and those guys get pushed to help competitive teams.

I still don’t think it’s fair to judge how Elias will act in the next two years by how he has acted so far. There’s certainly a world where the top 4 prospects are all up next year, though it’s unlikely.

I said with the way he's been running things.

He's been very conservative with promotions to date. 

As for "the kind of guy", well you could make a case that AR could have started at A+ or even AA last year and Elias had him playing rookie, A- and A ball.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ok, regardless you can still see the quoted post while responding. The other poster literally did the exact thing I did but in the darker light.

How he's running things when were in a complete rebuild with no reason to rush the young guys because we're not competitive? Not sure you can assume he'll be that way forever. 

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

Phenoms/stud prospects are going to push the envelope. If we were in a competitive scene/trying to compete do you think we're going to keep guys down if they can help us just to delay the clock? Right now sure, but when this rebuild ends? I highly doubt that.

I'm not saying we're paying everybody, but I definitely don't agree that anyone that comes through our team is gone once FA time hits. They'll just pick and choose between guys that they value higher.

I just said, AR is a "phenom/stud" out of college and Elias started him at rookie ball.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I said with the way he's been running things.

He's been very conservative with promotions to date. 

As for "the kind of guy", well you could make a case that AR could have started at A+ or even AA last year and Elias had him playing rookie, A- and A ball.

Of course he has, why rush the clock when you're not competitive and have nothing to gain? 

Just now, ISU94 said:

Ok, regardless you can still see the quoted post while responding. The other poster literally did the exact thing I did but in the darker light.

How he's running things when were in a complete rebuild with no reason to rush the young guys because we're not competitive? Not sure you can assume he'll be that way forever. 

I'm sure I didn't assume that.