Jackson Holliday 2022

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I heard a podcast recently where the PBP announcer for Delmarva was pretty adamant that Bencosme will never be a major league quality SS.  I don’t think he’ll stand in the way of either Holliday or Young.  

Right. I heard that as well.  He’s 20 next year.  It will be interesting to see how much SS time Bencosme gets next year.   

Jeez. I forgot about Young. 

How many years ago would the O's have been thrilled if their top 3 SS prospects were Holliday, Young and Bencosme?

Now they have those, Henderson, Ortiz, Westburg and Hernaiz and lord knows who else.

I know most won't end up at SS, but it's just unbelievable. I was listening on the radio to the world series and the announcer mentioned how so many guys in Houston were drafted as SS. Elias has his way. I like it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m good either way. It might depend on what the want to do with Carter Young, and whether the O’s want them both playing SS every day, as opposed to doing the Henderson/Westburg shuttle.  

I think we'll see Jackson in Delmarva mainly playing SS, and Young in Aberdeen playing SS to start off 2023. Bencosme will get some PAs at SS, but most will be at 2B and some 3B at Aberdeen. If Jackson is as good as everyone seem to think, he won't be at Delmarva long. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I heard a podcast recently where the PBP announcer for Delmarva was pretty adamant that Bencosme will never be a major league quality SS.  I don’t think he’ll stand in the way of either Holliday or Young.  

Bencosme has the athletic tools to play SS, but he has a funky sometimes side arm throwing motion that suggest staying at SS could be a problem. 2B might be his best position longterm, but I think they will play him at all three infield position for awhile.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Bencosme has the athletic tools to play SS, but he has a funky sometimes side arm throwing motion that suggest staying at SS could be a problem. 2B might be his best position longterm, but I think they will play him at all three infield position for awhile.

Kinda like @Hank Scorpio pointed out, it's sure a nice problem to have.  

I like the notion 2023's fall lineup as the last one Holliday won't be part of with everyone from Mountcastle (if he can keep his job) on down.

I'm sure 2025 Rookie of the Year favorite Jackson Holliday will not exceed 130 at-bats in 2024 just like Gunnar this year, but also hope in October 2024 he is obviously one of BAL's top nine position players, just as Gunnar obviously was by October 2022.

8.31.2024 lineup for Holliday MLB debut?      Mayo should overtake Santander or Mountcastle by then...I'll keep the Beast.

LF Cowser, 3B Gunnar, RF Mayo, C Adley, DH Kjerstad, 1B Mountcastle, CF Mullins, SS Holliday, 2B JW-CN-JO-DH

Pipped sometime in the next 1.8 seasons - R. Urias, J. Mateo, A. Hays, A. Santander, anyone who isn't the 2B Alpha Dog.   Do Kyle Stowers or Terrin Vavra even get 1-2 months on the first string?    Will the same question be asked of Jud Fabian or Carter Young in 24 months?

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, ShoelesJoe said:

Every time I see something like this article about one of our minor league studs my suspicious mind assumes it's a behind the scenes attempt to increase their trade value. I have this sick feeling that JH is destined for the trade block so we can acquire more pitching. 

I don't think that will be the case. We have plenty of other IF options to trade for pitching. I don't think Elias will trade a talent like Holliday for any kind of SP. For the same general reasons Elias has clearly stayed away from pitching in the top 3-5 rounds of all of his drafts for the Orioles.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

I don't think that will be the case. We have plenty of other IF options to trade for pitching. I don't think Elias will trade a talent like Holliday for any kind of SP. For the same general reasons Elias has clearly stayed away from pitching in the top 3-5 rounds of all of his drafts for the Orioles.

I agree that we have lots of IF trade pieces to acquire pitching, should Elias want to go in that direction. But Holliday clearly has more trade value right now than any of the other minor league guys. He'd get you more than Westburg, Ortiz, or Norby for sure. My concern is that if a deal is on the table and another team wants three or four prospects, maybe Elias negotiates them down to one or two prospects if Holliday is included. The more buzz there is around JH (buzz beyond him being 1-1) the more likely it is that option would be available.

I see articles like this and wonder if somebody somewhere is putting them out just to add to that buzz around a particular player who may be dangled as trade bait in the near future. The piece had nothing new, nothing that any casual fan didn't already know. I half suspect Jordan Westburg winning the Brooks Robinson Minor League Player of the Year award was for the same reason. He had a good season for sure, and if this was ten years ago when our minor leagues were a wasteland then he'd have deserved it. But now? When we have one of the best systems in the game? When one of his teammates is touted as the #1 prospect in all of baseball? That was a head scratcher of an award. But it probably boosted his trade value. 

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I agree that we have lots of IF trade pieces to acquire pitching, should Elias want to go in that direction. But Holliday clearly has more trade value right now than any of the other minor league guys. He'd get you more than Westburg, Ortiz, or Norby for sure. My concern is that if a deal is on the table and another team wants three or four prospects, maybe Elias negotiates them down to one or two prospects if Holliday is included. The more buzz there is around JH (buzz beyond him being 1-1) the more likely it is that option would be available.

I see articles like this and wonder if somebody somewhere is putting them out just to add to that buzz around a particular player who may be dangled as trade bait in the near future. The piece had nothing new, nothing that any casual fan didn't already know. I half suspect Jordan Westburg winning the Brooks Robinson Minor League Player of the Year award was for the same reason. He had a good season for sure, and if this was ten years ago when our minor leagues were a wasteland then he'd have deserved it. But now? When we have one of the best systems in the game? When one of his teammates is touted as the #1 prospect in all of baseball? That was a head scratcher of an award. But it probably boosted his trade value. 

I'm nothing more than the average idiot fan, but I'd bet the farm, ranch, and homestead that Jax Holliday is NOT traded in the next 12 months. Hard stop.

Edited by Ridgway22
fat finger typing
  • Upvote 3

• 1 month later...