Orioles sign Kyle Gibson

eddie83

21 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

That doesn't sound a lot different from Lyles last year, which isn't worthless, but it's not a needle mover either, especially in the AL East.

He might be, like, 5% better than Lyles next year, maybe even 10% if we get really lucky 😋

Some people foolishly expected that Lyles would replaced with someone legitimately better, a rookie mistake that even I myself fell into despite following this team for 30 years.

Right, because this signing will definitely be the only one. Quit whining and wait it out. Jesus. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The one thing I am confident in is that Holt knows all about Gibson.  The pitches he throws, their shape, how consistent they are, what has worked for him and what has not.  And he knows what he can do to improve him.

Look at the pitchers that improved this past year under Holt: Kremer, Bradish, Lyles, Voth, Wells, Bautista, Perez, Tate, Akin, Baker, Voth...

I can't agree that Gibson is a back of the rotation starter.   Not after he spends ST with Holt.

I agree. He has 14 WAR over his career with multiple 3 WAR seasons. Lyles has -1.4 WAR for his *career* and people are saying they'd rather have Gibson than Lyles  He had a higher ERA than Lyles last year but his body of work is much better.  Plus going from a bad defense to a plus defense and Holt, he could be much better than a #4 starter. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I agree. He has 14 WAR over his career with multiple 3 WAR seasons. Lyles has -1.4 WAR for his *career* and people are saying they'd rather have Gibson than Lyles  He had a higher ERA than Lyles last year but his body of work is much better.  Plus going from a bad defense to a plus defense and Holt, he could be much better than a #4 starter. 

And the Wall.

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

Right, because this signing will definitely be the only one. Quit whining and wait it out. Jesus. 

I never said that it would be, but I don't really see us adding 3 starters either, so the absolute best case scenario now is a good #3 SP like Lopez or Bassitt and Gibson, who is functionally no different than Lyles.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

One of the things about this is what else does this move mean?  Wells to the pen?

Hes a slighted upgraded version of Lyles. Not really what I think they should be signing but availability is an important trait and he definitely has that. 

Small upgrades = W’s. This does kick Wells to the pen, and now we don’t a void in MR/SU. 

SP Where we stand,

GR, Bradish, Kremer, Voth, Gibson

Depth: Hall, Wells, Watkins, Means, Zimmerman

The thing about our rotation is people seem not to believe in Kremer, Bradish, and Voth. Kremer had a 3.23 ERA cumulative. Bradish and Voth had similar numbers after adjustments. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

One of the things about this is what else does this move mean?  Wells to the pen?

Hes a slighted upgraded version of Lyles. Not really what I think they should be signing but availability is an important trait and he definitely has that. 

I would guess that Gibson, Grayson, Kremer, and Bradish are all pretty much locks for the OD rotation. If we add another SP, they will get the last spot, and if not,  Voth and Wells will duke it out in ST for the last spot with any non-roster invitees.

I do expect another SP addition of some sort, so I would say Wells definitely to the pen barring an injury during ST.

50 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'd be OK with Gibson at the back of the rotation. I'd be fine signing Lyles until Means returns, and as inning eating insurance against the inevitable pitcher going down, or until you add a pitcher in a pre-season trade, or at the deadline.

Not everyone is going to be Verlander.

I expect further growth out of one or more of the young arms. And I'm generally OK with that.

If you expect further growth out of the young arms, then why block them with mediocrities like Lyles and Gibson? Gibson had an ERA of 5.05 last year. Lyles ERA away from NuCamden was 5.25. I don't expect everyone to be Verlander, but I expect a team with playoff aspirations to aim for better than that, not settle for it so early in the off-season.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Guys, do you think we could flip him at the deadline for prospects?!?!?!?!?!?

Actually, you might not be far off.  Gibson has, historically, been a first half pitcher, 3.95 vs. 5.11 ERA in the 2nd half.   He might just be a bridge to John Means.    It’s doubtful another team will fall for it again but the Phillies did in 2021 so you never know.

58 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The one thing I am confident in is that Holt knows all about Gibson.  The pitches he throws, their shape, how consistent they are, what has worked for him and what has not.  And he knows what he can do to improve him.

Look at the pitchers that improved this past year under Holt: Kremer, Bradish, Lyles, Voth, Wells, Bautista, Perez, Tate, Akin, Baker...

I can't agree that Gibson is a back of the rotation starter.   Not after he spends ST with Holt.

If this is all true and Holt really has the “magic touch” wouldn’t it make more sense to bring him better talent to begin with to get even better results? I mean in spite of our surprise season and all of the improvements of our pitchers we were still a 4th place team. How are we planning to make a legit jump in the standings? Seattle is improved, Texas is improved and probably neither are done. Those are wildcard spots that we will be competing for.

I know the off-season is far from done and the Winter meetings are kicking off this week. I’m just wondering why we were in a hurry to bring in a pitcher like Gibson when there are so many better options?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would be surprised to get him but this is the rumor. https://mobile.twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1599020371184787459

This is the kind of stuff that used to come out from the Warehouse in the old days … tell me what “in on” means and I may see it as something other than trying to placate us fans ..