BP's 2023 AL Starting Pitching Prospects

Pickles

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sort of.  I mean, yeah, it's definitely an article for 2023 fantasy value.  And you're correct, if he's a middle reliever this year, that doesn't have a lot of value (I'm assuming this is true, I haven't played fantasy in a number of years).

In regards to improving his command over time, the writer does take a bit of a shot at him in the beginning that, to me, alludes to "you're crazy if you think this guy is EVER going to figure out his control issues":

I took that to mean "he's had control issues for his entire career up until this point, they're most likely going to continue."  Continue this year and probably beyond.  

I'd love to see Hall come through with a hell of a season in any capacity, middle relief, back end or starter.  I think it's a bit silly for anyone to write him off that quickly despite having very real control issues.

I basically agree with all of this.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sort of.  I mean, yeah, it's definitely an article for 2023 fantasy value.  And you're correct, if he's a middle reliever this year, that doesn't have a lot of value (I'm assuming this is true, I haven't played fantasy in a number of years).

In regards to improving his command over time, the writer does take a bit of a shot at him in the beginning that, to me, alludes to "you're crazy if you think this guy is EVER going to figure out his control issues":

I took that to mean "he's had control issues for his entire career up until this point, they're most likely going to continue."  Continue this year and probably beyond.  

I'd love to see Hall come through with a hell of a season in any capacity, middle relief, back end or starter.  I think it's a bit silly for anyone to write him off that quickly despite having very real control issues.

Hall is going to get every chance in the world with his arm even if he washes out with the Orioles. I don't care if some guy loses his fantasy league because he drafted DL Hall, I'm more interested in real baseball and the O's returning to playoff relevance.

Hall has the potential to pitch the Orioles into (or out of) the playoffs. There's likely going to be some bumps along the way as he figures it out.

The last part of Hall's write-up is weird to me.  There's really no middle ground with Hall.  If he figures his control out, he's not just an SP3, and he becomes a top 30 pitcher (at least from what the fantasy guys look for with the Ks and good ratios).

If he doesn't figure it out, well... then he's just a reliever.

The problem with Hall is still so far from what last year's starters.  Out of the pitchers who threw 100 innings (140 pitchers) only 14 had a BB% > 10%, and Hall would basically be tied for last with Yusei Kikuchi.

I think there's a path for Hall in the rotation can get that BB% down to 9.5-10% putting him in Blake Snell,  Aaron Ashby, Dylan Cease territory, because the stuff is that good.  Can he do just enough to throw a few more strikes to get into the range?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, it's a statement of fact that the approach the team takes with pitcher ailments would lead to him not having progressed enough to assume a spot in the starting rotation.

But hey, thanks for letting me know you are still oddly obsessive with my posts.  I was getting worried you'd moved on.

So quoting one of your posts in like one week qualifies me as oddly obsessed.   Maybe you are oddly paranoid?   lol