Orioles acquire Danny Coulombe

Going Underground

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

3rd lefty in the pen.  

Means and Johnson can go on the 60 day IL.   Politi spot in limbo.  Tate could go on the 60 day IL if needed.

They have to save a 40 man spot for Bemboom in case McCann can't go.

Opt outs will be interesting.

Is Tate really 60 days out?

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Is Tate really 60 days out?

They keep saying maybe by Mid May he is back. I’m not optimistic myself with that kind of an injury. 

That said they may not really have the need to put him on the 60 unless they think they really need the roster spot. 

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Fangraphs has them at #21 and that's with Givens and Tate combining for 114 innings.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2023-positional-power-rankings-bullpen-no-16-30/

Fangraphs project the Oriole bullpen to be worth 1.5 WAR, yet the same/similar group generated 4.7 WAR last year (good for 9th in MLB). I guess Fangraphs believe that last year was a fluke. 

The O’s selected Coulombe’s contract, so he’s on the team.   I’ve been trying to check into him a little.  He pitched effectively last year for two months (1.46 ERA) but then underwent hip labrum surgery and missed the rest of the season.  It wasn’t clear if he’d be ready by spring training, but he was, and pitched well, throwing 9 innings to a 0.00 ERA while striking out 13 and allowing only 8 hits.   His work this spring included three scoreless one-inning appearances against the Orioles, in which he struck out 6 batters.   So, I guess the O’s liked what they saw.  

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The O’s selected Coulombe’s contract, so he’s on the team.   I’ve been trying to check into him a little.  He pitched effectively last year for two months (1.46 ERA) but then underwent hip labrum surgery and missed the rest of the season.  It wasn’t clear if he’d be ready by spring training, but he was, and pitched well, throwing 9 innings to a 0.00 ERA while striking out 13 and allowing only 8 hits.   His work this spring included three scoreless one-inning appearances against the Orioles, in which he struck out 6 batters.   So, I guess the O’s liked what they saw.  

I kind of like this trade. Interloper bullet points incoming:

• We get a potentially decent middle reliever/matchup lefty for basically nothing. 
  • He's the only true matchup lefty in the pen since Akin is more long relief and Perez is more setup man.
  • There aren't any super exciting bullpen prospects he would be blocking. Baumann may make the team and if he doesn't he'll be up and down a lot this year. Same with Gillaspie. They don't want Hall in the bullpen yet. 
  • Depth! The team is loaded with depth at various other positions (IF, OF, SP), but not so much at RP. If this guy can be a sort of Richard Bleier type dude in the bullpen, that's huge for not having to immediately rely on some bubble AAA guys. 

Now certainly there's some injury risk at 33 years old coming off hip surgery. But all he needs to do is help plug a hole for awhile, and his ST numbers are encouraging. Considering we gave up nothing and he blocks no one of note, I consider this a good acquisition. 

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes and they even gave him a number.