I am officially in the McKenna got to go camp

banks703

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Elias wanted to bring in competition for McKenna and that’s why we picked up Jake Cave last fall. However, Cave is LH so he’s not the best fit. Well that and he’s now on the Phillies. 

We’re getting to the point where we are going to have a young starting 9. So it’s extra tough when your bench players are young too. McKenna is still learning his role, or just maybe not good at it. Same with Vavra. 

We have a lot of guys learning at the MLB level. 

For me, the issue isn't the mistakes.  It's the effort.  He's not good enough to be out there coasting and costing the team runs.  He did it twice last night.  It's unacceptable.

By my score, since the beginning of this year, meaning January 1st, the following players have been identified as either needing to go, or shouldn't be on the team in the first place:

Adam Frazier, Autsin Voth, Ryan Mountcastle, Austin Hays, Anthony Santander, Jorge Mateo, Anthony Benboom, Cole Irvin and now Ryan McKenna.  Only Kyle Stowers has actually been moved.

The most popular names recently given that would have solved all of our problems are Jordan Westburg, and yes, Franchy Cordero....yes, that Franchy Cordero, Spenser Watkins now and DL Hall.

This is a pretty bi-polar place.

That said, I agree that hustle is what's supposed to keep "limited upside bench players" on a team, and we're not seeing that from McKenna right now.  And, I also voted to move on from Voth, based on every outing I've seen from him including Spring Training....the dude has been just getting lit up, raked, or whatever term you want to use.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

There has to be someone that can replace him that can cover CF on an as needed basis in the MiL's. 

I know Daz hasn't really hit but if his defense is good then bring him up. If I recall correctly he has speed so it's not like he couldn't step into a 4th outfielder role.

Replace him with Stowers.  Hays & Stowers can play CF in a pinch.  Vavra has played CF as well. Cameron in AAA if they need more than a game or two.  

Edited by emmett16

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

Replace him with Stowers.  Hays & Stowers can play CF in a pinch.  Vavra has played CF as well. Cameron in AAA if they need more than a game or two.  

They didn’t play Stowers vs LHP in RF or LF. Certainly aren’t going to do it in CF

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They didn’t play Stowers vs LHP in RF or LF. Certainly aren’t going to do it in CF

Right. Even if Stowers was here and getting the pt he should, we would still need McKenna or someone like him.

I guess the answer to your question is Daz Cameron. Maybe he can be similar, who knows.  It’s rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Not suggesting they should.  He’s played a decent amount of CF and is an option in a pinch.  

Ok but issue with McKenna is you have to find a specific replacement for him. You need a RH and capable CF defender. 

I could see them in late August/September using a prospect in that role. It’s April. At this point if they send him down then Hays has to be that guy. Mullins starts hitting LHP it’s easier to justify that.  

4 man bench

McCann

Vavra

McKenna

O’Hearn  

The obvious need even if Stowers comes back is a RH bat.  

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m being serious about this. 

Thought exercise. Find me a player in a trade to replace him? They aren’t using a legit prospect to fill the role. 

I get what you are saying, and at this point in the season it's going to be difficult to replace a guy unless the replacement comes from the system.

The broader point for me is, the roster construction has been abysmal since the off season. McKenna or whatever...they have the top farm system by most accounts, use it. 

I didn't really buy into the wasting a season of Adley and Gunnar, but it is a legit concern. Adley's time has already been shortened because of the beginning of last year. He's showing to be a superstar talent and as a fan, I would expect the FO to have a little better feel of the product they're putting on the field. That's the larger concern for me. 

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right. Even if Stowers was here and getting the pt he should, we would still need McKenna or someone like him.

I guess the answer to your question is Daz Cameron. Maybe he can be similar, who knows.  It’s rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Right. I doubt they want Cameron to take up a 40 man spot either. 

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I get what you are saying, and at this point in the season it's going to be difficult to replace a guy unless the replacement comes from the system.

The broader point for me is, the roster construction has been abysmal since the off season. McKenna or whatever...they have the top farm system by most accounts, use it. 

I didn't really buy into the wasting a season of Adley and Gunnar, but it is a legit concern. Adley's time has already been shortened because of the beginning of last year. He's showing to be a superstar talent and as a fan, I would expect the FO to have a little better feel of the product they're putting on the field. That's the larger concern for me. 

I kept bringing up late last year how bad they were vs LHP the second half of the year. Now certainly we expected Adley to bounce back but Elias was focused on LH bats. If Mullins hits that helps. If he doesn’t then what? Now the other RH bats can step up but the need for a legit RH bat from the OF is more significant of Cedric struggles vs LHP again. Now to be fair they may have thought Cowser will impact this later on and take at bats away from say Hays. 

I don’t think they wasted a year but like most I wanted better SP. I don’t want to go down the Frazier road again but to me he provided a different skill set from what they had. They could have gone that route in the OF and found a more proven RH OF other than McKenna. I don’t think it’s a huge deal but if Mullins doesn’t hit LHP again it shows up. 

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Not sure anybody mentioned this yet about last night's game. In the 2nd inning McKenna hit a sac fly that the RF dropped, yet didn't run hard and didn't end up on second base on the error (Brown and McDonald both noted this). Instead of second and third with one out it was first and third with one out. Hays then grounded into a DP to end the inning.  Inexcusable mental error. 

I didn’t notice this.  Are you sure he could have advanced safely?  When the play started, Mateo was on 2B preparing to tag up.  Therefore, McKenna could not have just run halfway to 2B while the ball was in the air.   Once the ball was dropped, it was important not to make an out advancing to 2B with Mateo potentially on 3B with one out.  So, I’m not sure this play was black and white.  But honestly I didn’t notice how McKenna ran down to 1B or where he and Mateo were when the ball was dropped.  

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would assume McKenna would come off the 40 man.  What’s the difference?

Sure if you do that. Release him. They aren’t keeping both. 

All McKenna needs to do is play solid D and be decent vs LHP. It’s not a huge ask. Have a .750 OPS or so. Mainly get on base.