Bumgarner Flyer?

banks703

For the $720k I would like to see if the braintrust can figure out Madison Bumgarner. If I'm not mistaken, they paid more for Harvey. MadBum is only 33. I think it would be a worthwhile reclamation project if he's willing to sign a minor league deal to see if the O's can get him worked out with whatever plagues him. 

Edited by banks703

I was thinking maybe the same thing, but I could see him maybe rather going to Oakland or Colorado, assuming they come calling because their pitching has been way more atrocious than Baltimore's.  And because they'd be closer to his home in Arizona and former home in SF.

He's not someone who I think is likely to move the needle much, if at all but a lefty veteran who if they can figure out (Arizona doesn't exactly have much of a track record for developing or figuring out pitchers to be fair) could be a valuable role piece. 

I'm not suggesting that he's a premier addition possibility, only that for league-minimum and that his advanced stats aren't turrible, maybe the O's pitching coaches (who have cleaned up several guys over the last few years) take a look at him. 

It's not only about what he could (or couldn't) give you for this season but more so that if they were to fix him to almost any level of productive, it further demonstrates the organization's ability to facilitate improvement of players, specifically pitchers. And as mentioned in my OP, if he would take a minor league deal. In terms of major league baseball and financials, there's very little risk to the Orioles unless he's an awful person, which I don't find evidence of being true but don't mind being corrected if someone knows more. 

Edited by banks703

He's just an interesting living fossil - 53 October innings just 8.5 calendar years ago.

Its 40% of a Spencer Strider season.

I hope some October Grayson throws a whole bunch of innings but is that half as many?   Maybe 30-35?     If a wildcard team won the WS with each series going the distance they'd be 13-9.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Why? 

And he’s going to go to Bochy imo.

True. Texas. Had to Google that. Makes sense. But could we sell him on analytics and Holt/Co.?  

Watkins just went to the IL too. I’m all about depth and if he’s willing to get right In a pitcher’s park in AAA, then why not?  

Also, we’re not in the PCL. If I’m a vet pitcher working on coming back, I’m avoiding that league. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

True. Texas. Had to Google that. Makes sense. But could we sell him on analytics and Holt/Co.?  

Watkins just went to the IL too. I’m all about depth and if he’s willing to get right In a pitcher’s park in AAA, then why not?  

Also, we’re not in the PCL. If I’m a vet pitcher working on coming back, I’m avoiding that league. 

But why even try to sell him?  Why would we even want him?