Full Coaching Staff announced

SteveA

Justin Ramsey, Norfolk pitching coach, was an early favorite to be chosen for one of the 2 open pitching coach slots. Why do the Orioles see this pitching coach duo better than having Ramsey present among all our young pitchers now on the MLB roster that he helped to refine?

16 minutes ago, Earl Buck said:

Justin Ramsey, Norfolk pitching coach, was an early favorite to be chosen for one of the 2 open pitching coach slots. Why do the Orioles see this pitching coach duo better than having Ramsey present among all our young pitchers now on the MLB roster that he helped to refine?

Maybe with McDermott and Povich both scheduled to be pitching at Norfolk, they feel he's a better fit there then with assisting big leaguers?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Earl Buck said:

“Early favorite” according to who?  @wildcard?   Plassmeyer was the director of minor league pitching and was directly singled out by Mike Elias last month as one of the people who helped our minor leaguers improve this year:

“Matt Blood and his group and Chris Holt, and our (minor league) pitching coordinator Mitch Plassmeyer and everyone on the strength and conditioning side, we have slowly and quietly and steadily kind of built out a really first-rate pitching department.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/o-s-pitching-development-program-got-some-props-from-baseball-america

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I thought Chris Holt was staying with the team in some capacity? He's not named on the list of coaches.

He’s still with the organization overseeing the pitching department.  He won’t be in the dugout.

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I need @wildcardto tell me the appropriate level of anxiety I should have about these moves. 

It makes me a little nervous, to be honest.  Both Brocail and Holt had a rough first year as pitching coach before getting good results in year two.  Doesn’t mean that happens with French/Plassmeyer, but there’s some risk anytime you change personnel.  

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That sounds ominous.

Elias took the major league pitching coaches that were doing a good job.  The O's pitching staff was improving. And he changed it.   Holt is still directing but not in the dugout.

Elias and Holt have been very good at building a staff.  So that is a positive.  But change can be disruptive.

So........Wait and see.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s still with the organization overseeing the pitching department.  He won’t be in the dugout.

I know Holt is still with the organization as Director of Pitching, and I’m probably reading too much into this, but I think it’s strange that Holt isn’t listed on the Orioles organizational directory as being in the front office or coaching staff.  It could just be that the directory hasn’t been updated yet to reflect this, but all the other Director positions are acknowledged, and even Justin Ramsey is listed as Upper Level Pitching Coordinator and Triple-A pitching coach.  As the Director of Pitching, Holt oversees pitching instruction & strategy for both the major & minor leagues, so to me, that would put him under the general Player Development category, and I just don’t see him listed anywhere.   Like I said, I have no concern about this, but I just think it’s a bit strange.