Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

5 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

So you think a 30 yr old former Cy Young winner with a 1 whip is not getting a massive premium contract this offseason if he just doesn't implode? 

Declined from what? A Cy Young winner to just a normal TOR starter? Because all careers go in a perfect linear path with no ups or downs. If it ticks a tiny bit up at 30, it is a clear sign of impending disaster. 

WE HAVE MONEY NOW. We don't have to worry about not ever signing a FA again if in yr 6 or 7 the contract doesn't look great. Stop living in the past and recognize the future and where we are going with new ownership. 

Never said he won't get that type of deal, just that I don't think the O's should give him that deal.  And I'm also not just going to presume it's going to start raining money.  Just because it's (theoretically) there doesn't mean we should spend with impunity.  Look at the Mets last year.  Give Elias whatever his higher payroll ceiling is and let him keep doing his excellent work.  

15 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

We can still get Cease.

I think you only go for Cease still if you don't think Means will be ready to go or he really reinjured it worse than we thought at the end of the seaosn.

I don’t think the ownership change had anything to do with this move. It’s a nice combo but I think teams don’t want to wait until spring training starts in case of an injury. 

I’m not wasting my time worried about Burnes long term. Just looking forward to him dealing. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Whatever dreams Getz and the White Sox had of milking the Orioles farm system by trading Cease have gone up in smoke tonight. They can still get Cease, but they will need to readjust their expectations.

Hilarious. That will be such a good read when I get to that. Mayo or Basallo. Hahahahahha

3 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

Never said he won't get that type of deal, just that I don't think the O's should give him that deal.  And I'm also not just going to presume it's going to start raining money.  Just because it's (theoretically) there doesn't mean we should spend with impunity.  Look at the Mets last year.  Give Elias whatever his higher payroll ceiling is and let him keep doing his excellent work.  

I also don’t think it’s a given that it’s going to start raining money but goddam it’s hard not to be excited right now. 

2 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

Signing a #1 pitcher to a market rate deal does not mean it is raining money, or we are putting ourselves in a bad financial situation. That is what teams trying t win a championship d all the time. I know it is an unfamiliar position to be in, but if we are trying to win it all these are the moves that need to be made. We could afford TWO of him and still wouldn't have a league average payroll. We have all our young players dirt cheap for 4-5 more years, now is the time to actually be an "average" payroll team by adding top end starter(s). We have so much cheap talent to offset huge deals it is not funny. Let's start using it to do just that. 

3 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Incredible deal. I can’t believe this is the reality we live in. 

Burnes has some red flags in that his velo and some of his numbers are trending in the wrong direction. BUT. His stuff is still nasty and he’s been incredibly durable. Eno Sarris’ analysis from a few days ago (where he’s rated as the #2 fantasy pitcher this year):

The burgeoning offensive environment and maybe the shape of his season (his worst months were April and June) obscured the fact that Burnes had a near-vintage season in 2023. Still, he did lose nearly a tick on the fastball and some whiffs, so it wasn’t all good news. A strong health grade, top-of-the-line stuff, and a large enough arsenal that he could still tweak for whiffs if he wanted — these are reasons to believe. As an example, he had a top-three curve by Stuff+ and only threw it 18 percent of the time. He’s still got some tricks up his sleeve as he ages.

Burnes got one of the rare “A” in health grade. 

One of the best pitchers in baseball is on the Orioles. A true “ace” by any definition. I simply cannot believe it. 

2023 is a different year, but I'm much more comfortable with Burnes over Cease. Cease has had only one outstanding pitching season in his career. Burnes has been consistently good with the Brewers and led the NL in WHIP last season.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

I believe if we were to sign a QO FA that we would lose our 3rd pick in the draft no matter what the round. So… if now we sign Montgomery or Snell… then we’d only lose a 2nd rd pick and not one of our three firsts we had. 

Edit - no pick loss for Montgomery

Edited by sportsfan8703

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Dammit.. I missed that too... Well, Perez and Coulombe will still be in the pen. I don't think Elias is done now that the gloves have been taken off.

Irvin is still here and this certainly leaves Wells in the pen.  Right now, I see:

Kimbrell, Cano, Wells, Tate and Webb from the right side and Perez, Coulombe and Irvin from the left.  We could certainly add to that but it looks pretty good as it is.

• Upvote 1