Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He seemed to be indicating that he wasn’t sure where he was going and hadn’t necessarily heard more about any one team than another. 

You're probably right but it's nice think that he might have hoped to be traded to Baltimore.  What a refreshing change that would be.

23 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

I like what Jake Peavy said on MLB network.  He talk about how invaluable it is for the rest of the staff to be able to learn from Burnes.  Compared it to his time with the Braves learning from Greg Maddux.  If any of the current guys can learn that cutter from Burnes, watch out.

Great trade for both clubs.  Ortiz is going to be 26 by the end of the season.  His time is now.   If the Brewers unlock something in Hall they win too.

Apparently, Bradish and Kremer model their games after Burnes.  I’m curious what that actually means, but it sounds like it goes beyond just appreciating Burnes’ talent.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

I like what Jake Peavy said on MLB network.  He talk about how invaluable it is for the rest of the staff to be able to learn from Burnes.  Compared it to his time with the Braves learning from Greg Maddux.  If any of the current guys can learn that cutter from Burnes, watch out.

Great trade for both clubs.  Ortiz is going to be 26 by the end of the season.  His time is now.   If the Brewers unlock something in Hall they win too.

Peavy pitched for the Braves?

Something I learned getting to know this player - big guy.    I don't follow the NL very much these days - I probably would have guessed him smaller than Yennier Cano/Michael Baumann.

I might have guessed Kyle Bradish had a near 50/50-ish shot if they arm wrestled for #39, but nope.

Bradish wore #56 in 2022.

50 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'd love for Dan Duquette to be the new Jim. Much more interesting to hear what Dan would say about stuff.

Dan Duquette would be a fantastic talking head get for David Rubenstein or Ted Leonsis' MASN with higher production values.

Catching up on Dan Szymborski's chat from Thursday afternoon, and this just plain makes me wonder if the question came from a warehouse plant doing one last bit of crowdsourcing for a scientific decision process.

12:04
Daniel: What kind of year do you expect from Corbin Burnes? Will we ever see a year from him again like his 2021?

12:05
Avatar Dan Szymborski: That’s not the *average* result, but the chance is certainly there

12:05
Avatar Dan Szymborski: I do think he’s slightly down from his highest peak

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just curious, would anyone have preferred trading Westburg over Ortiz in this trade, assuming for funsies that Milwaukee still accepts?

I don't think I would have, but just curious.

Probably not. I think the choice between them depends a bit on how they see the infield shaking out defensively.

Trading Ortiz tells me they're comfortable enough with 3b Mayo/SS Henderson, or 3b Henderson/SS Holliday, for the long term defense. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

Probably not. I think the choice between them depends a bit on how they see the infield shaking out defensively.

Trading Ortiz tells me they're comfortable enough with 3b Mayo/SS Henderson, or 3b Henderson/SS Holliday, for the long term defense. 

It's gonna be fun to watch and see who has the better career between Ortiz and Westburg. Both appear to have excellent intangibles too. 

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just curious, would anyone have preferred trading Westburg over Ortiz in this trade, assuming for funsies that Milwaukee still accepts?

I don't think I would have, but just curious.

I prefer any trade that Elias makes that lands Burnes. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I'd love for Dan Duquette to be the new Jim. Much more interesting to hear what Dan would say about stuff.

He’s a terrible communicator though the more savvy of the two.  I have no interest in seeing him on TV.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s a terrible communicator though the more savvy of the two.  I have no interest in seeing him on TV.

I would settle for some tweets by the guy. He's an interesting dude that I think has a place being around the game more. But he seems content to do his thing, too. 

2 hours ago, SouthRider said:

I’ve always felt the “learning from veteran players” factor may be overblown but Burnes has a very similar arsenal to Bradish. 

Bradish could benefit from tuning his fastball with its natural cut (which he’s already leaned into more) into more of a cutter like Burnes. 

And Burnes could probably benefit from throwing his breaking stuff more often like Bradish.