Opening Day Weather

SteveA

Current forecast for Thursday is 55 degrees high (38 low that night), 80% chance of rain Thursday, half an inch expected.

Friday is mostly sunny, 59.

Still time for the forecast to change, but a postponement to Friday certainly seems to be at least a possibility for those making plans.

[Recall last year, the home opener was on a Thursday with a similar forecast.   In fact, the rain was supposed to be even heavier.   They announced on Wednesday at 2pm that the game was postponed until Friday.   As it turned out, there was actually very little rain in the 3-6 pm window, though it was cloudy and damp, and there was heavy rain after 6pm.   So perhaps they might have gotten the game in if they hadn't postponed it 24 hours in advance].

The weather guy I follow, who is far more accurate than anyone else, is saying the rain should clear out sometime in the morning. That is what the Euro weather model is stating and he believes that to be the case.

It will be chilly though and Friday is almost definitely going to be better weather but they won’t change the date because it will be sunny and warmer.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The weather guy I follow, who is far more accurate than anyone else, is saying the rain should clear out sometime in the morning. That is what the Euro weather model is stating and he believes that to be the case.

It will be chilly though and Friday is almost definitely going to be better weather but they won’t change the date because it will be sunny and warmer.

They postponed it one year in the 90s due to wind as I recall.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Btw, this same guy said that they never should have postponed it last year and that rain could happen on the Friday…and of course he was right.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Current forecast for Thursday is 55 degrees high (38 low that night), 80% chance of rain Thursday, half an inch expected.

Friday is mostly sunny, 59.

Still time for the forecast to change, but a postponement to Friday certainly seems to be at least a possibility for those making plans.

[Recall last year, the home opener was on a Thursday with a similar forecast.   In fact, the rain was supposed to be even heavier.   They announced on Wednesday at 2pm that the game was postponed until Friday.   As it turned out, there was actually very little rain in the 3-6 pm window, though it was cloudy and damp, and there was heavy rain after 6pm.   So perhaps they might have gotten the game in if they hadn't postponed it 24 hours in advance].

Friday actually works better for me so I hope it actually happens.

1 hour ago, kaj21206 said:

They postponed it one year in the 90s due to wind as I recall.

Haha I remember this. A buddy of mine told me and I thought he was messing with me. 1997 I think. Some speculated it was to buy Brady Anderson another day of rest. 

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I remember one year Rodrigo Lopez standing in a snow squall on opening day. 

2003.  I was in the upper deck behind home plate, and I couldn't see Jay Gibbons out in RF through the snow.  And, Gibbons couldn't see the ball that was hit to him shortly thereafter.  After that play (which scored a run), they delayed the game finally.  O's wound up winning in extras, if I'm still recalling correctly.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

2003.  I was in the upper deck behind home plate, and I couldn't see Jay Gibbons out in RF through the snow.  And, Gibbons couldn't see the ball that was hit to him shortly thereafter.  After that play (which scored a run), they delayed the game finally.  O's wound up winning in extras, if I'm still recalling correctly.

Believe it was Gary Matthews Jr that had the game winner, but could be dead wrong.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Sorry Tony, I’m hoping for this. 

I'm good either way, but do have something Thursday night that I will need to get to quickly after the game. It would be nice if the rain just stayed away totally for sure.