Ryan Mountcastle 2024

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No question. He has been hitting into bad luck for a few years. That’s a big reason why I have thought this is his career year. At some point, the luck has to change.

It’s also why I wouldn’t keep him.  Let someone else buy into this being a career renaissance. And who knows, if he got out of OPACY, perhaps an 800+ OpS would become more of the norm for him?

Long term he’s not someone I’d prefer to sign. I’d trade him in the off-season for the right return but won’t complain about having him back next year. Except when he chases sliders. 
It’s pretty surprising that he’s the best AL 1B right now. I didn’t even have to stretch to put him on my All Star ballot. 

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He’s not that much better than his career numbers and his walk rate is as low as ever.   A little bit premature to declare this a career year.

I'm not declaring anything but you have to keep in mind his numbers are up while offense is down.

If you don't count his 2020 season (126 AB) this year, thus far, is a clear step up.

OPS+ by season:  114/108/117/140.

15 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Long term he’s not someone I’d prefer to sign. I’d trade him in the off-season for the right return but won’t complain about having him back next year. Except when he chases sliders. 
It’s pretty surprising that he’s the best AL 1B right now. I didn’t even have to stretch to put him on my All Star ballot. 

Is that true?  Is he really #1 right now?

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think they’ve released results yet. I just mean he was the best choice for starter without having to put on my orange colored glasses. 

11 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t think they’ve released results yet. I just mean he was the best choice for starter without having to put on my orange colored glasses. 

That’s what I mean.  I didn’t realize his ranking amongst others.  The recent barrage of homers has jumped him up.  

Good for him though. He probably had no chance since he isn’t “a name” but it’s great that he is in the position of “deserving” it.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not declaring anything but you have to keep in mind his numbers are up while offense is down.

If you don't count his 2020 season (126 AB) this year, thus far, is a clear step up.

OPS+ by season:  114/108/117/140.

First of all, I didn’t quote your post or accuse you of declaring anything.  I understand his numbers are on pace to be a career season.    I’m just saying there’s a long way to go.

Edited by RZNJ

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

First of all, I didn’t quote your post or accuse you of declaring anything.  I understand his numbers are on pace to be a career season.    I’m just saying there’s a long way to go.

I wasn't accusing you of anything of the sort and I agree that we have a lot of season left.

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I voted for him. You could make a case for Vlad. They are neck and neck in fWAR but I would give RMC the edge for being on a winning team

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I voted for him. You could make a case for Vlad. They are neck and neck in fWAR but I would give RMC the edge for being on a winning team

Ironically if the O's were a weaker team he'd have a better shot at making the team.

There are going to be enough O's making the team that Ryan might get squeezed out by rule requiring every team to have representation.

47 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I do think his plate approach has gotten better.  His level of Adam Jones-ness of swinging at low and outside sliders has decreased a bit.

For now.  Will he maintain it?  That’s the multimillion dollar question.