Orioles attendance 2024

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

18,108 forTuesday. Tomorrow should be a little more ,weather permitting. .

That is solid for a mid-April Tuesday.  And I think those attending tonight were given lots of reasons to come back!

Edited by Frobby

18k for an April Tuesday is really good.  Numbers like that signal 4K more/game over last year which would put attendance closer to 2.3mm for the year.  To get to 2.5 million need to really start seeing 20k+ for midweek games.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Rough numbers:

Opening series 94 k vs. 105 k (-10%)

2nd series 34 k vs. 32 k (1st 3 games) (+6%)

3rd series 92 k vs 68 k (+35%)

4th series 48 k vs. 38 k (+26%)

Lower attendance in that first series is partially explicable by (1) spring break, (2) Easter Sunday, (3) Angels instead of Yankees.   It should also be noted that the this last series was up 26% despite the opponent being the Twins instead of the Red Sox.  

The next homestand is 3 weekend games with the A’s and 4 weekday games with the Yankees.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Rough numbers:

Lower attendance in that first series is partially explicable by (1) spring break, (2) Easter Sunday, (3) Angels instead of Yankees.   It should also be noted that the this last series was up 26% despite the opponent being the Twins instead of the Red Sox.  

The next homestand is 3 weekend games with the A’s and 4 weekday games with the Yankees.  

Wild that a Twins series could be up 26% over the Red Sox Series at any point year over year.  Imagine telling that to someone 15 years ago. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Rough numbers:

Saturday and Sunday crowds against Oakland look good  Saturday is a Hyde bobblehead. Sunday the upper deck is pretty full with LIttle Leaguers. Many sections sold out. Yankee series looks decent,not like the weekend series later in the year. Also the promotion giveaways are selling well. Plus Weather Day against the Blue Jays in May  against the Jays will draw the usual 30,000 or so during the week. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Rough numbers:

I would contend that the only reason that the first series was down this year is because it was during Spring Break for public schools AND Easter was on that Sunday.

Also, last year it was a Yankee series for the first series so that contributed to that. I don’t think there is any question that we will have a higher attendance this year when all is said and done.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I would contend that the only reason that the first series was down this year is because it was during Spring Break for public schools AND Easter was on that Sunday.

Also, last year it was a Yankee series for the first series so that contributed to that. I don’t think there is any question that we will have a higher attendance this year when all is said and done.

No question attendance will be higher.  The question is by how much.  

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No question attendance will be higher.  The question is by how much.  

Easily 500k, as a low bar. The guy I spoke with in the membership area last week said there was 9k new Flexible memberships this year. 

8 hours ago, Since1984 said:

Easily 500k, as a low bar. The guy I spoke with in the membership area last week said there was 9k new Flexible memberships this year. 

It’s a little hard to tell how 9k new flex memberships translates into tickets.  There are $600, $1200 and $2500 packages.  I assume most are at the lower level.  That would buy you about 20 tickets, the higher levels 40 and 83 tickets, at $30 each (estimate, since you can buy any level of seats).   I’m just going to make a rough guess that it’s 300,000 tickets.  But, how many people are buying these who previously went to a bunch of games as a walk-up buyer?  How many switched from having a fixed ticket plan to a flex plan?   I’m guessing it’s a decent chunk in each of those categories.  

9 hours ago, Since1984 said:

That'd be about a 26% increase in attendance over last year, with average per game attendance of 30k/game. That'd be outstanding and back in line with what we saw from 2013-2015. Based on the last two series, I don't think it's a stretch to see that as a possibility, but I personally wouldn't call it the low bar for expectations just yet.

16 hours ago, scottbbfm said:

Wild that a Twins series could be up 26% over the Red Sox Series at any point year over year.  Imagine telling that to someone 15 years ago. 

I imagine that if the team has another great season AND they resign any of the young star(s) or a big time FA or retain Burnes to a big contract, attendance will go up again next year regardless of opponent.

That’s how this thing goes with competent ownership and a bunch of young star players.

I know some people believe that the public/fans will just show up. But we are in an age where people are more informed than ever because of access to information through the internet.

The difference between now and the last time the O’s were good 12- 16 is two things IMO. 1) That all felt temporary. And as a fanbase we carried a large degree of anxiety worrying when the other shoe would drop and it would all be over. 2) This time feels like the org has much more of a plan/vision/competence. Last time felt accidental to a degree. Now it very much feels that we have a great foundation that is sustainable for long term success. Maybe even a dynasty?

Because baseball is at the end of the day an entertainment business, people are going to invest/spend money/show up at the games based on how it makes them feel. If they feel good, hopeful and believe they will keep coming. If they are worried and it’s an anxious experience when they think this will all be over soon, they are not going to be as apt to invest in that thing (whatever it may be).

• Upvote 1

Baltimore has had some tough draws this year. Angels, Royals, Brewers and Twins. I can't imagine these teams draw in general, and especially in Baltimore. Might as well get them out of the way early in the season.

Oakland next weekend won't help, but the Yankees should draw some great early season Monday through Thursday crowds. Then I expect the crowds to increase considerably.

Edited by dzorange

10 minutes ago, dzorange said:

Baltimore has had some tough draws this year. Angels, Royals, Brewers and Twins. I can't imagine these teams draw in general, and especially in Baltimore. Might as well get them out of the way early in the season.

Oakland next weekend won't help, but the Yankees should draw some great early season Monday through Thursday crowds. Then I expect the crowds to increase considerably.

I tend to disagree with is perspective being as relevant now. Traditionally attendance was influenced/dependent upon the opponent draw. Our fans wanting to see “the better teams” and the bigger fan bases visiting the Yard.

However, I believe that times have changed. Because we have so many homegrown stars and such an excellent team, the O’s are much more of a draw themselves since the days of Cal Ripken.

The Oakland series will be well attended. Early this week I purchased tix to next Sunday’s game and there were very few sections that had 4 tix available. And this is for the lowly Athletics.