T. Rowe Price O's new jersey sponsor

spleen1015

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Ehhh, who cares. Generate the revenue. 

Id rather they re-name the stadium vs the jerseys though.

If PA or JA did that the vast majority here would be pissing and moaning about greedy owner. I don't like it. Between that and the betting ads it sucks IMO. You wait, the Pete Rose betting will be nothing compared to betting that goes on now and in the future. Of course, MLB will cover it now that it creates revenue.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Exactly. This was an Angelos-type penny pinching move. I'm disappointed that Rubenstein allowed this to happen.

In his first real move he monetized his players sleeves and made them go shill for the another multi-billion company in pictures that were embarrassingly shared by the team's twitter account. The faces of Gunnar and Rutschman tells it all. They look like hostage pics.

Angelos could have done this or selling naming rights for the stadium.  He did neither.  People need to give him credit for it.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

If PA or JA did that the vast majority here would be pissing and moaning about greedy owner. I don't like it. Between that and the betting ads it sucks IMO. You wait, the Pete Rose betting will be nothing compared to betting that goes on now and in the future. Of course, MLB will cover it now that it creates revenue.

I wouldn’t be. I think they should sell the naming rights too..been saying that.

None of this stuff matters. If it’s a way for the club to make more money to provide a better experience and keep players, who cares.

It’s a big nothing burger at the end of the day.

I don’t disagree that it looks dumb on the uni but whatever…it’s a sign of the times and most teams are doing or will do it soon enough.

• Upvote 3

Just now, baltfan said:

Angelos could have done this or selling naming rights for the stadium.  He did neither.  People need to give him credit for it.

This was certainly in the works while JA was still owner.

Just now, baltfan said:

Sorta true, but IIRC it was in the works.  There was a report of some company that was either going to get a jersey patch or naming rights to the stadium and they were surprised about the new ownership change, they had heard nothing about it.

• Upvote 1

I am one to be critical of Orioles new ownership. This one doesn’t really upset me because it’s the way the league is going. I will be upset if they sell the stadium name. I like to think of parks as Fenway Park, Wrigley field and so on. The Ravens have been lucky with M&T Bank but the Steelers losing Heintz is crazy. Once you move to multiple sponsors the stadium loses its prestige. Will people still go sure.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t be. I think they should sell the naming rights too..been saying that.

None of this stuff matters. If it’s a way for the club to make more money to provide a better experience and keep players, who cares.

It’s a big nothing burger at the end of the day.

I don’t disagree that it looks dumb on the uni but whatever…it’s a sign of the times and most teams are doing or will do it soon enough.

Except when the owners pocket the money, while still going to the taxpayers to demand more money for a bigger, fancier stadium. 

I got a lot of flack for rolling my eyes at the promo videos. 

Just sayin! 

I don't really care much about this, but DR is on the clock in terms of making an impactful move fans care about or can really get behind. It's still extremely early in his tenure, so it's whatever. 

Edited by interloper

6 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

SG... the voice of reason? 🤣

He kind of is.  He's not wrong, this is the way that everything is going...which is unfortunate.  It's not NASCAR.

I don't think that this is any kind of serious money, either.  Like, not enough to put a dent into what it'll cost to extend Gunnar or Westburg or Adley.

SG said this stuff doesn't really matter and in the grand scheme of things...he's right about that, too.  But that begs the question, who really likes this advertising?  Other than the companies that are paying for the patches, obviously...I'm sure the people at T. Rowe Price are high fiving each other right now or something.  I don't think anyone really wants this...and yet, here it is.

I can't imagine it generates any sort of business for them.  I don't think anyone is going to turn on an Orioles game and go "Hey, let me invest with T. Rowe Price."  

It's just tacky and stupid and dumb.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, deward said:

Except when the owners pocket the money, while still going to the taxpayers to demand more money for a bigger, fancier stadium. 

Well I don’t think we are getting a new stadium anytime soon.

But yea, they could pocket it…which is up to them since you know, they own the business.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

One thing I'm curious about...I mean, I'd never buy a jersey cause I'm an adult, but is this patch included on jerseys sold to fans, too?  I couldn't imagine buying a Gunnar Henderson jersey with a stupid T. Rowe Price patch on the sleeve.

I’m not sure if that is included or not.

I would abstain from buying a jersey if that was on it.

• Upvote 1